Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. Broken shock mount. Dealership wants me to change whole shock absorber system.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help. Broken shock mount. Dealership wants me to change whole shock absorber system.

Hi,

I have a problem with my car, a Mazda 3 GS 2005 sedan, with the left rear side making a banging sound. I took it to the Mazda dealership. They told me that the problem was that the rear left shock mount was broken.

Here is the estimate they gave. They said a shock mount doesn't come individually, but along with a shock absorber. So, I'd have to get the shock absorber + shock mount on my left rear side replaced which would cost me 315$. Also, as i was getting my rear left side shock system replaced, I should get my rear right replaced other wise my car would be really unbalanced. so that's another 315$. And I'd need to spend another 120$ for tyre tuning after that. So that is a grand total of 750 for a broken shock mount.

Is there a way i can get just the rear shock mount changed ? Can anyone recommend a garage where i could take my car for it? Or any other suggestion/advice?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help. Broken shock mount. Dealership wants me to change whole shock absorber sys

talk to Joe (FLIPDADY) for parts. See Jimmy at Street performance for installation (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...et-Performance)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help. Broken shock mount. Dealership wants me to change whole shock absorber sys

Quote Originally Posted by phil05gx View Post
    talk to Joe (FLIPDADY) for parts. See Jimmy at Street performance for installation (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...et-Performance)
    +1

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The dealership is providing you correct information on the mount not being sold separately from the shock. Regarding replacing both shocks at once, it does make some sense, but if the other shock is functioning properly, I don't see a need to replace both. No idea what the $120 tire tuning is though..
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the exact same problem about 1 month ago and it's true, you can only get the rear mount with the stock shock so your best bet is to try and find a used one. Not sure what stock is like now, but I checked every scrap yard from TO to Ottawa and no one had a used rear shock for sale. Luckily a dealer in Gat QC had blown shock that I could get the mount from

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

set of Koni FSD shocks for 250 here used. be a good deal.
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh....-Priced-to-GO!
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Still needs the mounts though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swales View Post
    ^Still needs the mounts though

oh ya. sorry. forgot they didnt come with. my bad

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voila!

Cost it $49/ea plus tax and in stock.

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well what do you know..JOE to the rescue!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the exact same problem..mechanic said the same thing about replacing both shocks..how does it break off like that ...like wow. anyways he said its going to be a couple of hours of labor, is this correct?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and do I REALLY need to do the other shock? its just the rear driver side shock that mount broke off.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably don't need to but shops will recommend it because if the reason for replacement was a blown shock, the likelihood is that the other one is going to need to be replaced soon, so it's easier maintenance to replace both.

If you think your other shock still has a lot of life left in it, replace just one.

It looks like Joe has the mounts shown in his pic, so maybe you don't have to replace any shocks at all.

In regards to the "tyre tuning", I'd guess that's probably the wheel alignment.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the shocks probably suck too, its 2004 mazda 3 and its notorious for bad rear shocks right? might as well replace them

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my g-friends Mazda3 has the same issue... all aftermarket versions don't come with the mount...grrr!
    sending a PM to Joe now...
    His: 2015 Subaru Sti
    RIP 2006 Mazdaspeed6 Mica Black, Magnaflow Catback, MS CAI, JBarone SSP, Test Pipe, TT Diff Mount, Whiteline RSB, Cobb AP, H&R Springs and Bilstein Shocks, KMD HPFP, RMM
    Hers: 2003 Toyota V8 Limited 4Runner...
    gas companies love me!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe came through and I got the replacement part on Saturday. My girlfriend and my wallet thanks you!

Install took me all of 20 mins with an impact gun. The original threads and bolts were very tight even with a good amount of PB blaster to loosen things up. I would not have wanted to try taking these off with just a ratchet. The nut was tight all the way down.

Ride
    2013 CX-5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, this may sound like a stupid question, but did you guys drive around with the shock mount broken?

I *just* broke mine this morning around Woodbine and Queen. It's a real piss-off, because the car was in for Trailing Arm Bushings on weds. Timing is everything right?
    Just wondering if you drove to the shop to get the work done, or if you went with a tow? It sounds pretty nasty the three blocks I had to drive to get home, not sure I want to go too far on it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just installed one of these on my car. I got one from Rock Auto for about $16 (Dorman Part No. 924-412).

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last time i drove on a broken shock, it cut my tire open...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob here : )

The rear left upper mount on my 3 broke. Apparently there's a way of replacing it without having to replace the whole shock. I know that Rock Auto has them, but I've read about FLIPDADY. Perhaps he can help. I've PMed him. Any other suggestions? Quick one?

TIA

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only other option I can think of is go to the wreckers.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    Only other option I can think of is go to the wreckers.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Here is how to fix the broken shock mount for $5.00.

So my friend asked me to take a look at his broken shock mount on his Mazda 3. My original hope was just to hold things in place long enough for him to research the lowest cost on parts. However the fix turned out such that it looks stronger than a new part might be. The part in question is essentially an aluminum tube with two flimsy tabs. There are holes in each tab and those tabs are mounted with two vertical bolts/studs to the under carriage of the car. Those tabs look like they are designed to corrode and break as soon as the warrantee is up. Here is how to fix it:

Step 1:
    Go to Canadian Tire and buy a kit of large diameter washers. They are called fender washers. The outside diameter is about an inch and a half. The inside diameter is about 1/4 inch. I bought a 78 piece kit for $12.00 (62-3128-0). However, you only need between 2 and 4 washers and they come in a kit of 10 (LESS THAN $5.00). The 78 PIECE KIT part number will at least guide you to the right type of washer so you can spot what you need on the rack. I noticed they had a stainless steel version and that's what we'll probably switch over to now that the fix looks so permanent.

Step 2:
    Jack the rear end of the car up by jacking under the transaxle. Use Axle stands, blocks of wood, tire blocks and other means to securely stabilize the vehicle. Now Remove the Tire. Locate the two vertical studs and lubricate them with penetrating oil.

Step 3:
    Using a 13 Millimeter deep socket, remove the two nuts from the two long vertical studs. The broken tabs will probably fall to the ground. If not, pry them loose with a screw driver or use the pry portion of your tire iron.

Step 4
    Place a log or axle stand underneath the brake rotor and swing arm. Lower the trolley jack while a colleague guides the shock mount into its original position. Use the weight of the car to bind the shock mount into its position between the two vertical studs.

Step 5:
    Position the two fender washers on a 45 degree angle with one edge against the body of the shock mount and the other edge sitting against the frame of the car. Naturally, the long threaded studs should be running through the center of the fender washers. Now tighten the original nuts down onto the fender washers. It’s a lot faster if you have a cordless impact wrench doing the work for you. The nut will deform the fender washer into a tight fitting metal clamp that binds against both the side of the shock mount and the remnants of the broken tab. We performed this repair with the mild steel fender washers. I'm quite certain the Stainless steel washers would deform as easily as the less expensive "metal fender washers". However, the malleability of the stainless steel washers is just a guess at this point. Obviously stainless steel would offer more longevity. The repair described above locked the shock mount into place with impressive stability. It really does not look like it will break any time soon and could easily out last the flimsy aluminum tabs of a replacement mount (or the 9 year old car for that matter). If you wanted to go all out, you could remove the nuts, place a third and fourth washer into position and repeat the process of deforming the washers via nut tightening.

The 16 dollar mounts proposed by another poster also seem like a pretty good solution.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
    (Dorman Part No. 924-412).

The part is not not hard to navigate to on the web site. Just navigate to the car model and then type in "shock mount" into the search window.

So if you want to order the replacement mounts, the fix above will certainly lock things in place long enough for you to drive around while the parts are on order.

Some words of caution. Any time you are working with a car jack, please be extremely careful. Work on a solid surface. Use axle stands. Block the tires. Throw the removed tire underneath the frame of the car near where the tire has been removed as an extra precaution. Dropping a car on you hand, foot or head would really suck and its very easy to do if you don't take all the necessary precautions.

The procedure described above involves working in and around the wheel well so an unstable staging of the vehicle would be very dangerous.

Take care.
    pk

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some pics would be great if you're doing this again
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast