Thread: Ticking noise

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ticking noise

I have searched the internet endlessly and this forum site for the answer to this.

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 Sport 2.3 liter with 4spd AT

When I drive the car it makes a ticking sort of sound but only when I put my foot on the accelerator. There is like a sweet spot with the pedal where it makes the sound. If I go past a certain spot, it stops making the noise. Similarly if I let go of the gas pedal the sound goes away. It does it in every gear as long as I have the pedal at the sweet spot. It's very annoying since the sweet spot happens to be when I'm applying the gas just enough to cruise or maintain my speed.

If I have the car sitting at idle in neutral and I keep tapping the gas (going in and out of the sweet spot) the sound is there just not as noticeable as when it's driving in gear.

Is this a motor mount? Intake manifold valve? spun bearing? engine knock?

From what I understand it can't be an engine knock as it goes away during moderate to heavy acceleration and is only present during cruising speed (when the pedal is applied enough to maintain a constant speed). For example, when I'm cruising down the highway in 4th gear it makes the ticking sound. It is a constant tick that does seem to speed up or slow down depending on rpm's.

Please someone help me........

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ticking noise

Most likely intake manifold making noise but who know's without hearing it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you pinpoint where you think the sound is coming from? That could help us more in diagnosing what could be the issue

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said, I've searched all the forums about this and sometimes I think I found the solution but I have yet to find someone who says they only hear the noise when the accelerator is slightly pressed.

From what I understand the intake manifold issue occurs during idle. Also I disconnected the cable on the intake manifold as shown in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8qS...eature=related

And like I said, the noise isn't there at idle; so I drove the car with that cable detached to see if the noise I had was related and the noise was still there.

I'll see if I can get a video of the noise (hopefully the camera will pick it up).

I haven't been able to pinpoint the noise as the weather is really shitty right now (snow etc.) so jacking up the car and getting under her isn't really an option.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The intake manifold noise is constant after the car heat's up so if your's isn't loud at that time than you can cross intake manifold off your list. Does the noise happen when you accelerate than let go of the gas pedal than accelerate?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the noise happens like that at idle in neutral or park; however, if I am in gear cruising and have the pedal depressed at just the right spot (usually the spot where the car maintains its speed) the sound is there the whole time. Like I said, when I cruise down the highway at a constant speed the noise is there the whole time just ticking away.

The sound does not appear to be rpm dependent, it appears to be dependent on the throttle position. Meaning I can make the ticking sound show itself at 4500rpm just as I can at 2000rpm by modulating the throttle position.

If I accelerate briskly enough with the pedal down farther than the 'sweet' spot the noise is not there at all; if I back off the pedal back to the 'sweet' spot the sound comes back. If I release the pedal entirely the sound is not there.

Picture this as a continuum of the pedal position with the bolded number representing the position of the accelerator when the noise is heard. Zero represents no throttle, while 5 represents full throttle.

0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

having this same issue but i have an 08 2.3l 5speed... i hear it most when my exhaust isnt loud so when i down shift or have about 30% gas.... its driving me nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bMeiSter View Post
    Really Dave? You just have to make things worse...
    Just for that, your website sucks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post a video of how your car sounds at idle

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5spokes same issue I have in my 2004 mazda 3 2.3L not constant, only when pressure is steady on pedal. Accelerate or take foot off nothing, only at steady pace or around 3000 rpm mark it hits as well. Any ideas? Lifters?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes lifters could possibly be the answer just get some stablizer oil for it and that should do it if worse case it needs adjusting. i had that problem and added the stablizer oil and it went away

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info. Will try this out for sure and hope the best. It's quite annoying, and makes you worry.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ticking? or pinging? when was the last time you did a tune up?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mechanic said the issue was a lifter but would have to disassemble to further find out this issue. Top end Lifter....stabilizer oil did not help. Don't think its manifold either...theres a plug at the front where the manifold is some engine noise goes away when unplugging this...read it on another mazda forum...a VIS issue running valve or something....Been through the knock issue once before...not a good thing....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people mistake the "ticking" noise with the fuel injectors, which on most cars also make a "ticking" noise and it is supposed to. But you said you got it looked at by a mechanic. Post the results please.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I just got off work, went home parked the car.. After 15 minutes, I went out to get something from the store then as I was heading back home, I floored it just a little, you know, just to have fun (I do once in a while)... Then, I got home and as I was parking my car, I hear this ticking noise, similar to what everyone's talking about... Mine however ticks faster as if I press on the accelerator (while parked on neutral)... It looks like it's the intake manifold based on everyone's comments..

if it is indeed the intake manifold, how much would that cost to replace/fix and has anyone had their cars fixed with this similar issue?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the exact issue i have too and i can't seem to figure out where it's coming from either...i had the same issue on an 03 lancer i used to drive too

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im in Colombia, have the same problem of 5spokes, by the way, excellent description. I have an M6 2'3L w AT 2007 w 45k miles showing an identical trouble. Have u solve this problem yet?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone figured out what this issue is? i just bought a mazda3 and its driving me nuts. i already had the butterfly valve taken out of the intake manifold, so that cant be it. if anyone knows anything, please message me or respond on here, my mechanic isnt sure what it is and the dealership already charged me $100 to look at it and say it was the intake manifold or the timing chain. it cant be the timing chain though seeing as the chain would make the noise constantly, not just at certain times because its always under load.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disconnect your shutter valves on the intake manifold see if it goes away, otherwise ticking is almost always internal and most likely the valvetrain. Not sure if you can adjust MZ3's or if there hydraulic.
    Mazda Auto body Technician

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the EXACT same problem 5 spokes...I was told it is probably the Variable Time Valve Actuator....however I don't have the 'ticking' noise when car has just been started....just when driving cruising speed as u mentioned - going 50 kilometers, slightly lean off acclerate pedal, then slightly back on it and BAAM...that damn noise!!

Did you get an answer as to what it is???

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ticking noise after the engine is warmed up is from the intake manifold shutter valves, not the VVT actuator
    a cold engine ticking noise is from the VVT actuator
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheMan...

Will the VVT still be under warranty? I have power train left...

Also, this noise only exists when I'm gently acceleration, or going up hills...mainly cooler weather but never in neutral...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the valve timing changes under engine load... makes sense that you are getting noise during cold weather but not in warmer weather, so that dismisses the possibility of bad gas or detonation.... so in otherwords, I still think it's the VVT actuator...
    at this point all we can do is speculate, so go take it in to the dealer and get it diagnosed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really appreciate the information TheMan. It goes in Monday. I found tonight I was researching the crap out of it and getting anxiety (ie. blown rod??/need new engine...). Lets hope it's something known and fixable and done so under warranty. I'll keep you posted!!!

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the same issue on my '07 Mazda 3 GT sedan, 5 speed Auto. My issue might be different not sure, I describe it more like a gurgling sound when coasting at a constant speed (foot lightly on gas pedal) and it happens for me at less than 2000 RPMs. For example 60 km/h, 5th gear, 1800 RPMs.

I found a thread here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=183572.0 similar issue.

I also have the rough 1st to 2nd gear change when engine cold and can feel the car downshift from 5th to 4th even with car warmed up.

This is my first car too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast