View Poll Results: Should Ontario make winter tires mandatory by law?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 76.09%
  • No (if chosen, post your reasoning)

22 23.91%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Poll: Winter Tire Law

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Poll: Winter Tire Law

Quote Originally Posted by alhope34 View Post
    That would be illegal for them to do, you should have told the manager to remove them and get rid of them. By Ontario law no one can sell tires more than 6 years old, new or used.
    i actually went to the service desk and told them that it's unsafe, and probably illegal. the employee said they would speak with the manager. so i left it at that and haven't gone back to that canadian tire since so i dunno if they are still there or not.

was seriously thinking about snapping pictures and sending it into ctv or something if they told me to F-off though

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fini View Post
    i actually went to the service desk and told them that it's unsafe, and probably illegal. the employee said they would speak with the manager. so i left it at that and haven't gone back to that canadian tire since so i dunno if they are still there or not.

was seriously thinking about snapping pictures and sending it into ctv or something if they told me to F-off though

It's good that you did that. Not many people would care. I'd be pissed if I bought a "new" tire to find out it is 20 years old. ever felt the tires they have on the walls for display? They feel like plastic water bottles.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No!!, just learn how to drive in the snow and slow down!!, I've had no probs with my all seasons this year and we have got more snow than we have in a while. On a side note I've noticed the majority of accidents I've drivin by involved vehicles equipped with snow tires. And no reason to state facts that were "produced" by the people waiting to make $ from selling them!! I'd proboubly say they should be law if i went out and spent $700 on some too!! just another load of b.s. just like nitrogen filled tires that they claim are "safer" LoL.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billd80 View Post
    No!!, just learn how to drive in the snow and slow down!!, I've had no probs with my all seasons this year and we have got more snow than we have in a while. On a side note I've noticed the majority of accidents I've drivin by involved vehicles equipped with snow tires. And no reason to state facts that were "produced" by the people waiting to make $ from selling them!! I'd proboubly say they should be law if i went out and spent $700 on some too!! just another load of b.s. just like nitrogen filled tires that they claim are "safer" LoL.
    This is a very uneducated statement, as well, if your driving by an accident how can you tell they have/don't have snow tires.?
    2008 Mazda 3 GT Sport----SOLD
    2011 Mitsubishi Outlander V6-----Gone bye bye (SUCKED)
    2008 Hyundai Sonata
    2012 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

face->palm.

By your reasoning people should also do without ABS an learn how to threshold brake. And yeah seat belts shouldn't be needed....

Have you ever driven on winter tires in the snow or on ice?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1:yes, the work vehicle I drive is equipped with snow tires and does not perform any better than my 3 with all seasons.
    2: it''s pretty easy to tell if a vehicle has snow tire on, especially when lots of people run steelies with them
    3: I'm actually well educated on winter tires (show me some statistics that are not from a manufac. or "tire-rack")(or from the government covering their as*!)
    4: by that thinking your vehicle should also "by law" be equipped with AWD, higher ground clearance, more airbags, self inflating tires, onstar, etc. etc.
    not saying they don't "help" just not near as much as people make them out to. driving slower is the best way to avoid winter accidents.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1:yes, the work vehicle I drive is equipped with snow tires and does not perform any better than my 3 with all seasons.
    2: it''s pretty easy to tell if a vehicle has snow tire on, especially when lots of people run steelies with them
    3: I'm actually well educated on winter tires (show me some statistics that are not from a manufac. or "tire-rack")(or from the government covering their as*!)
    4: by that thinking your vehicle should also "by law" be equipped with AWD, higher ground clearance, more airbags, self inflating tires, onstar, etc. etc.
    not saying they don't "help" just not near as much as people make them out to. driving slower is the best way to avoid winter accidents.
    Easily done: http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

Or you can go to consumer report. Or find and read using google translation any of the Scandinavian motor mag reviews.

I think a lot of people equate winter tires with the idea that they should be something out of Steve Job's butt. AKA magical. As you can see from the test it was 28 feet difference (156 feet stop on snow from 60 mph on a car that normally takes about 120 feet). So no winters will not make your car perform like it was dry summer pavement. But it's still going to stop you sooner than if you were on all season. Which means either you avoid a crash or if you do you'll be crashing at a slower speed.

It also just occurred to me your work vehicle might not have the best winter tires either. There are great differences with some being amazing in snow but not so good on ice. And others that are great on ice but maybe not so good in snow. Plus it could be your work vehicle (it is a RWD pick up?) might just not be a good snow car. We have a 05 camry that we have driven with all seasons and with winters. So working from that experience I can tell you that on ice there's no comparison. It's the difference between ABS going off like mad while you pray you can stop vs actually stopping when you need to (from an icy church parking lot, so we are talking 20 kph max).

AWD or 4X4 are actually dangerous for winter driving in the hands of the vast majority of people out there. They step on the gas and the 4x4 helps them get moving so they think they have a lot of grip. When stopping however they then suddenly realize how with majority of braking done on the front they can't stop. You see yobos in AWD or 4x4 cars blasting past people all the time. It's not because they cars has more stopping grip. It's just cause they feel like they do due to AWD/4x4.
    Last edited by gotak; 02-07-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO!! I can't believe some people think like this.

When I'm in Quebec during a snow storm I'm driving as fast as I feel safe yet everyone is driving circles around me (snows are law). I come back to Ontario and when snow is falling, even when it is not accumulating on the roads, people go half the limit for no reason. Driving slow doesn't mean you know how to drive properly in the snow or not. I see many many less accidents in the snow in Quebec than I do in Ontario even though they all drive much faster there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have the mindset that having Winter tires on the car during the winter means they can handle the car exactly the same as they could in the summer while on snow and ice.

While I do believe that winter tires do make a difference, the more important thing is more education on winter driving.

I know that most places offer courses on winter driving, but I think at least the basics of now to drive in the winter should be part of the main driving course.

Long shot and unlikely to happen, but I don't think it's that bad of an idea.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually driving slower/keeping more distance in front of you is exactly how to stay safe, since the main cause of winter accident are from not stopping in time, pretty simple physics really. However my point was not a 'pissing" competition with overly eager people, simply to follow the poll and asnwer why "not" in the comments section as stated since I voted no!!! So peace out!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually driving slower/keeping more distance in front of you is exactly how to stay safe, since the main cause of winter accident are from not stopping in time, pretty simple physics really. However my point was not a 'pissing" competition with overly eager people, simply to follow the poll and asnwer why "not" in the comments section as stated since I voted no!!! So peace out!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alhope34 View Post
    It's good that you did that. Not many people would care. I'd be pissed if I bought a "new" tire to find out it is 20 years old. ever felt the tires they have on the walls for display? They feel like plastic water bottles.
    yah, i noticed that too. but as long as they stay as a display, then it should be ok. those things should be marked in someway to say that they are displays and should not be sold though. anyway, we digress off topic of this thread... lol

---------

don't you think it is safer with winter tires than without? it also isn't just about stopping time. it's about control.. what if you had a little bit of an incline to drive up? what if you didn't have enough grip to even get your car moving and spun your tires? even if YOU practice safe driving.. what if you need to make course corrections? why not use a tool that is readily available to help with all of this?

if you think a car handles just as well with all seasons compared to snows.. you need to think again.
    that's like saying you can wear street shoes on a soccer field and play better than someone wearing cleats.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2008/01/30/get_a_grip/
    Last edited by fini; 02-07-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So by using your own logic that the main cause of winter accidents are from not stopping in time, you should then be recommending winter tires. Simply because it is very much proven that winter tires do in fact decrease stopping distances on snow and ice and even on dry tarmac in sub zero temperatures, when compared to all-season tires with a vehicle travelling at the same speed.

To use your logic again, if you drive slower and keep more distance in front of you to avoid accidents, does it not also make sense again that winter tires will therefore decrease your chances of being involved in a collision caused by an inability to stop in time since again, assuming the same distance and speed, the winter tire will still stop the car faster?

You are right about one thing at least and that is, this is pretty simple physics really. All things being equal, winter tires will outperform all seasons in winter conditions in relation to grip, braking and other handling performance categories.

By all means vote no based on whatever bias you have as you are fully entitled to the opinion, but don't base it on false statements and bad logic.
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 02-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys need (go to 7:45)

Go before show.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ to bad most evo owners are pussies to do that with there own cars. most of the evos are stored for winter, which is completly stupid as those cars are built for off road rally. hell the car has a snow mod lol.

if your gona drive in the winter use snow tires. i really dont want to be rear ended buy some idiot without winter tires who doesnt care for others safety.
    Fastest 1/4 = 14.3 @ 101.6, 2.3 60ft. bone stock.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234