Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First motorcycle drop.

Well, it happened. Monday I was out on my buddy's '09 Ninja 250 to get a sub. I was heading south on Birchmount just south of Danforth and just north of Kingston. I was going down the hill there and was going to turn left on Kingston. as I was heading south down the hill on Birchmount I was behind a TTC bus. There's a crosswalk there where Hollis comes out onto Birchmount but no stop sign on Birchmount its self. The bus stopped just before Hollis, put its 4 way flashers on. I looked, no oncoming traffic so I started to pass the bus at about 25-30 km/h. As I was passing, the bus started to honk then I see why he was honking...someone was turning left from Hollis to go north on Birchmount right in front of me. I hit the front brake hard, it locked up and started sliding over one of the paint blocks on the cross walk. The bike pitched to the right and the fork slammed against the frame. I knew the bike was going down and I was going slow enough so I jumped off, let it fall on it's right side. I did a couple stumbling steps and knew I couldn't keep my balance. I learned how to fall from my days spent in the Don forest as a teen dirt jumping and xc riding so I tucked and rolled on the road. The bike slid a bit, and the rear tire bumped the front left rim of the lady's honda that was by this time 95% finished turning. When I got up I clutched the bike, picked it up, hit the kill switch. The lady got out of her car, looked at her rim, and drove off. Not ONE person in any vehicle who witnessed this asked if I was alright.

I didn't even scuff my new jeans or my coat, I didn't have a scratch. When then bike came down the rear right fairing hit my right calf, it started hurting shortly after I got home and the bruise is now going away. The day after my left wrist started to hurt a bit but is fine now. What about the bike? Well, this was it's 6TH drop, yes, it's 6TH. All the fairings were scraped up anyway, the main two both have big holes in them. I let it fall soft and slow enough that the right handle bar did not bend and the mirror just folded up. The right signal last winter in a drop from my buddy had broke into the fairing. The fairing mount its self broke, not the signal, so he had the fairing super glued so the signal would stay put. Because of that I didn't even break the right front signal, it just needs to be glued back in place. The muffler is also a bit scratched but it was damaged before so my buddy had painted it with BBQ paint.

All in all, I came out VERY lucky and so did the bike. I just need to buy my buddy some superglue and a new can of BBQ paint. He didn't care about the drop on the bike, he was just worried that I got hurt.

I think I learned a lot from this. I have much less trust that people know what signals are for now (not like there was much trust there before) and I'll be a lot more cautious when passing a stopped vehicle. I don't blame the lady in the Honda at all, she had no way of seeing me from beside the bus. The bus driver should NOT have put his 4 way flashers on, if he didn't I wouldn't have passed him.

I still went to Subway and completed my mission of getting my sub. I got a footlong steak and cheese with swiss on brown bread. I think it was the best sub I have ever had.

Now, let me be the first to say; COOL STORY BRO!

Ride
    Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First motorcycle drop.

not to bash but why take a bike out in winter?

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bike offers more fun to me than any car could. I'd take a 250 over my MS3 any possible day I could. That and the roads were clear, we were supposed to get a real snow fall for once on Tuesday, and it wasn't too cold.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you get the sub toasted? lol

glad you're ok

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stillmatic View Post
    did you get the sub toasted? lol

glad you're ok
    OMG, I thought I was the only one wondering that...

oh yeah and glad your okay..
    Damn you photobucket.....

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude your lucky to be alive could have been much worst. Poor bike I love bikes too, if only Ontario didn't snow

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, no, I hate toasted subs.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't this technically the lady's fault? She cut you off... Anyone making a turn is always at fault, just like hitting someone from behind?

Glad you're alright, but you're crazy for taking a bike out in this weather (I'd rather be in a nice warm car)

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically if I hit the side of her car she would have been at fault. I don't blame her for not seeing me when I was passing the bus, no one can see through metal. If the bus driver didn't put on his 4 ways I wouldn't have gone around. And the weather wasn't bad, the roads were clear and it was only about -4 or -5. Good enough for a short trip, but I wouldn't want to be on the highway or anything as I don't have heated gear and sport bikes don't have 12v outlets to plug heated gear into anyway. I just didn't feel like being a cager that day.

I'm kinda glad I took the bike. I still would have gone around with my car and I probably would have gone faster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by o0aZuMi0o View Post
    What else can I get for ladies other than Spa/Nails gift card??
    Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    a cooking apron?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude you are lucky. I won't chastise you, but this isn't the season to take your bike out. My bro laid his r6 down last year going around a corner. He hit a dirty patch of dust and salt. Fool could have killed himself. He rides for the same reasons you stated; it's fun and easier to get around. Keep in mind that people on this town don't know how to drive around people on bikes when the weather is nice; these drivers are even worse during the winter. Add to that no one is expecting someone to be out on a bike. All I'll say is I'm glad you're okay; things could have been a lot worse.
    Is not here

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
    I won't chastise you, but this isn't the season to take your bike out.
    Well that's contradicting. I appreciate the concern from people, but I didn't post this to get lectured, it was just to share my experience. It's my life and that fall is not going to keep me off a bike in any season. I realize that riding is much more dangerous than driving (you'd have to be an idiot not to) and also that the danger is compounded when you add cold rubber and dried salt on the road. The bottom line is that it is still my choice. I hear this "oh my god you're gonna die" crap enough from my parents. Sorry if I'm coming off rude but it just gets frustrating when I can't tell a riveting tale of fun and adventure without people getting all up in arms about how I'm crazy and "dude, it's winter". Yea, thanks for the tip, I never noticed winter before in my life.

If the roads are clear of snow and dry in the winter, it's fair game as long as the person can tolerate the temperature. that's why there is heated gear you can buy, and for the real thoroughbred riders many bikes (like BMWs) can have side cars attached so you have stability in snow and ice. You can also buy winter tires for bikes if you know where to look.

Again, sorry if this seems rude, I just needed to vent a bit. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular.
    Last edited by alhope34; 02-04-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense taken here! Like I said, I'm glad you're okay.

Ride
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cant belive not one person even asked if you were alright, just shows courtasy ( i spelt that wrong i know ) of some people. glad your good
    DAI | XXR | NANKANG | DOMINANT ENGINERING | KW | BRIDE
    KAPTION | JVC | OPTIMA | INJEN | TRI POINT | NRG | AVENUE

STRIPPING TECHNOLOGIES | EXCLUSIVE WHEEL AND TIRE | KAPTION

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al, seriously...... I'm surprised you took your bike out. I have no intention of taking mine out until I know for sure the snow and ice are all gone. I know you love to ride, but it's not worth the risk. Glad that you're ok though.

+1 I don't like toasted subs either
    resident "Bouncer"; all-around nice guy ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few years I've ridden 12 months of the year...and I live in Barrie.

I don't do it anymore, though, too lazy to wash the bike off in the freezing cold when I get home.

I won't be riding on the road this summer either, unless I find a cheap KLR650 or something that is fun on the road. My bikes are all race only now, no lights, lightened wiring harness so I couldn't even convert them back to street if I wanted. Fiberglass race bodywork is much cheapoer to fix and replace than OEM stuff with lights taped up.

Dropping bikes will always happen, even to the most experienced. And if you get the track bug...it gets realy painful and really expensive. Fun as heck though!

It won't be your last drop I promise you that! LOL
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the ninja 250R's are fun on the racetrack, totally different way of riding with one of those LOL.

I'd recommend an SV650 right off the bat though. they are great for a wide range of riders, from beginners to VERY experienced racers.

Swap the forks out to inverted GSXR ones, have them sprung and valved, and get a shock and you will run rings around alot of guys on 600's and 1000's.

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I've heard that about the sv's. I still have not decided what I want for my first bike. A guy in my building will be selling his 91 fzr 600 with 60,000kms for $1800 in the spring, but the insurance quotes I got are in the $4000 a year range. I might also decide between a first gen ninja 250, fz 600 or the sv650. The fz 600 was also in the $4k range for insurance even though it is much newer, the sv650 was in the $3k area and the 250 in the $2k. A lot to think about at this point.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old are you?

I only turned 25 in september and was paying 1800$ a year for my 2007 GSX-R 600 streetbike. I paid under 1500 after I turned 25. Likewise my Mazda3 insurance dropped from 225$ a month to 118 or so LOL.

I'd avoid the FZ600. The SV would wipe the road with a 91 FZ600, and a new 600 would suck the paint off it as it passes a 91 FZ lol. Parts are getting harder to find for those FZ's.

A first gen SV650 (99-02) would be ideal. With the ninja 250 you'll want to sell it fast, trust me, you don't feel that way now but you will regret the headache later of having to sell it after a summer.

I rode my 2002 SV650S for 5 and a half seasons and I'm sad I ever sold it. Ran like a top with almost 70,000 kms on it if I recall when I sold.

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 24 now, 25 in October. I live in Scarborough so I'll pay super high insurance regardless. On my dad's policy for my MS3 I currently pay $330 a month (just went up from $300). Lowest quote I got for it on my own was $495 a month. I put my age as 26 and that quote only went down to $395 a month. I think I'll be screwed for insurance regardless. I can live with a 250 though, and it does have cheapest insurance. I'd rather have a 250 than nothing, know what I mean? When I passed my m2 on my buddy's bike I took his 250 to Montreal to visit my girlfriend and I took her on the back for the 1.5 hour trip to Trois-Rivieres to visit her sister and friend. The first gen 250 also has one more hp than the new one (33hp vs 32hp) and is 80 lbs lighter than the new one.

If I don't have my own bike by then I'll also be taking his 250 to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia to visit my family and on the way I'll be picking my girlfriend up in Montreal. My dad is flying and only taking a carry-on bag so I'll give him a bag with my crap in it, I'll use my back pack and get a tank bag for my girlfriend's crap. I thought I was going to have to get a gps mount for my tomtom and keep it in a ziplock bag, but my cousin told me most tank bags have a waterproof plastic top pocket on it for maps. Told me just to stuff a couple shirts around the gps so it won't move and so I can see it. Going to wire up my buddy's bike with a weather resistant 12v outlet. It will be fun riding the mountains of the Cabot with my girlfriend on the back. I'm currently 255-260 lbs so even the difference between me and my 170 lb buddy riding the bike is noticeable. My buddy can get the 250 to 170-175 km/h tucked on a flat road, I can't go past 145.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I've taken my SV and my GSX-R's all over, I'm from NB so I've had them on the cabot trail tons, and I go to Deals Gap in North Carolina every year almost, I love camping on the bike, that's why I want a cheap kawasaki KLR650 or something to go camping on, and some dirt roading.

I started riding on a 2000 KLR650 back in the day, and like my Sv, I wish I didn't sell it. Seems it's a common theme...every bike I own I get an emotional attachment...something that doesn't really happen with cars very often. Bikes are awesome!

Speed is nothing on the road, it's useless anyway...have to keep the license, KLR's don't go very fast either, but they can bring you many smiles!
    Last edited by pacmann33; 02-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K - the main underlying story here is that you wierdos don't like toasted subs. Who likes squishy and soggy bread?

Ride
    Peugeot SS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    K - the main underlying story here is that you wierdos don't like toasted subs. Who likes squishy and soggy bread?

PLUS ONE WTF
    NO CREW

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like soft, fresh and tender bread. I hate bread as it is, so when it's all dry and crumbly it pisses me off because it tastes even worse.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually prefer riding in the colder weather than the middle of summer.
    I would have gone out a few days this winter if my bike wasn't all tucked away in the back of the garage. To much effort to uncover it right now.

As far as insurance goes, state farm seems to be the simplest to insure with. Strictly based on CC's. I was thinking about switching companies myself.. but state farm is still the cheapest for myself. 30, married, male.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast