Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't fill gas tank :(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can't fill gas tank :(

So on my way to wings Thursday night, I had one hell of a time trying to fill my tank, and it happened again yesterday.
    Here's the story:

I open my tank up like usual, and stick the nozzle in (no homo). Select my brand and start to pump. Everything is fine, for about 10 seconds (or $2-$3 whichever comes first). And then the pump makes that clunk sound as if the tank is full. Now I know there's no way the tank is full because my meter is almost at empty and I've been driving for 3-4 days (I usually fill up every 4-5 days).
    Now, when I first got the car, I had a similar problem to this (but not quite as bad). It went away, and came back for like 2 days when the weather started to get cold and then it was fine all winter long.

Now, however, things are worse. Before it would get to $7-$10 before stopping, now it gets to maybe $3 if I'm lucky. And then from there it stops every dollar or half dollar, sometimes every 20cents. By the time it starts doing this, gas comes splashing out when it stops (rather violently I might add, it got my pants once).

I've tried placing the nozzle in different positions, at different lengths into the filler, and nothing seems to make a difference. (no homo)

I've not noticed any leaking, either on my driveway or at the pump.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Any and all help is much appreciated.
    Warning!!!
    A STAGE#5 POST WHORE IN TRAINING...

2004 GT Arctic White :: Manual 2.3 ::
    SRI | HID | Moustache

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can't fill gas tank :(

try filling the tank next time with the pump not all the way in, sounds like a air blockage, when the pump senses pressure back up the filler neck it shuts off automatically.
    Dave Smith
    Service Manager
    Direct Mazda
    905-812-8882

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Mazda Service View Post
    try filling the tank next time with the pump not all the way in, sounds like a air blockage, when the pump senses pressure back up the filler neck it shuts off automatically.
    That's what I'm saying, I tried everything, I even went as far as to only insert it about 1-2cm. And it still didn't work

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have a problem with the filler neck itself, there is a skinny metal pipe that runs up along side of the filler neck that allows the pressure in the tank to vent back into the top of the neck where you stick the fuel pump in. I beleive it's past the flap in the filler neck so you won't be able to see it. It might be blocked. Next step would be to see if the charcoal canister is plugged.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Mazda Service View Post
    Next step would be to see if the charcoal canister is plugged.
    How would I go about doing that?

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh wow. I thought you said the pump was broken.
    Now it's gunna end up cost you money :/ Good luck with this.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's under by the gas tank, not an easy thing to remove especially if you are doing it on the ground. It you try it be careful not to brake the clip style connectors.

Ride
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n00bMeiSter View Post
    That's what I'm saying, I tried everything, I even went as far as to only insert it about 1-2cm. And it still didn't work

Also, I think it's the filler neck.

The Toys:
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6MT - Tungsten Silver
    Honda S2000 (AP2) - Rio Yellow
    Toyota Camry AllTrac 4WD - Silver Metallic
    Daily: Lexus LS 430 Ultra Luxury - Brilliant Black

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

charcoal canister 100%

My dads 3 just had the same problem. I hope mine doesnt go aswell. $200 for the canister and over 3 hours labour. I laughed and installed it myself
    2004 M3 Sedan Titanium Grey- 5% Tint | LED interior | Fujita F5 CAI| 17" Ikon DTS| Magnaflow Exhaust | 8000k HID conversion | Kenstyle Grill | Smoked Side markers & Tails | Falken 912 205/50/R17 | Short Shifter | Leather GT Seats | Yellow Fogs | Hawk HPS | Skunk2 Springs | Next: Tranny mount

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's a fun bit, I just filled up at a Canadian Tire station and it worked perfectly, all the way to $51 without any problems ......
    oy vey....

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Oh wow. I thought you said the pump was broken.
    Now it's gunna end up cost you money :/ Good luck with this.
    I figured it had to be the pump because I filled up fine earlier that day or the day before and had no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RTEnthusiast View Post
    I was wondering how long until someone posted one of those lol

Quote Originally Posted by CanSpeed 3 View Post
    charcoal canister 100%

My dads 3 just had the same problem. I hope mine doesnt go aswell. $200 for the canister and over 3 hours labour. I laughed and installed it myself
    Well that's a bummer :/
    Would I be able to interest you in installing mine? I'll buy you some beer or something.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have the exact same problem with mine! worst thing when its -26 outside and it stops every 2litres ... anybody have a write up on how to do this or is it just a simple swap?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can either PM the people above that have done it or you can take it to a shop if you dont feel comfortable working with a highly flammable (and potentially explosive) work area of the car.

50 shades of silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine does this to.. the solution is simple.. pull the nozzle out a bit and lift up.. then start pumping.. it'll go to a full tank without stopping.. it's stupid that you have to do that but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bMeiSter View Post
    So on my way to wings Thursday night, I had one hell of a time trying to fill my tank, and it happened again yesterday.
    Here's the story:

I open my tank up like usual, and stick the nozzle in (no homo). Select my brand and start to pump. Everything is fine, for about 10 seconds (or $2-$3 whichever comes first). And then the pump makes that clunk sound as if the tank is full. Now I know there's no way the tank is full because my meter is almost at empty and I've been driving for 3-4 days (I usually fill up every 4-5 days).
    Now, when I first got the car, I had a similar problem to this (but not quite as bad). It went away, and came back for like 2 days when the weather started to get cold and then it was fine all winter long.

Now, however, things are worse. Before it would get to $7-$10 before stopping, now it gets to maybe $3 if I'm lucky. And then from there it stops every dollar or half dollar, sometimes every 20cents. By the time it starts doing this, gas comes splashing out when it stops (rather violently I might add, it got my pants once).

I've tried placing the nozzle in different positions, at different lengths into the filler, and nothing seems to make a difference. (no homo)

I've not noticed any leaking, either on my driveway or at the pump.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zotaga View Post
    Mine does this to.. the solution is simple.. pull the nozzle out a bit and lift up.. then start pumping.. it'll go to a full tank without stopping.. it's stupid that you have to do that but it is what it is.
    some members are bumping into a more serious symptom and even this didnt work. this rarely happens to me and what you did worked for me

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstarmazda View Post
    some members are bumping into a more serious symptom and even this didnt work. this rarely happens to me and what you did worked for me
    Lol. It's because not everything requires money to fix. It's an annoyance but it's manageable.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. It's because not everything requires money to fix. It's an annoyance but it's manageable.
    the symptoms the members above are experiencing are not very manageable and is a full out problem that needs to be addressed by a repair. for very subtle cases and rare occurrences, you can get away with your method of not inserting the nozzle all the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From everything I read, it is very manageable. You don't need to insert the nozzle the entire way.. it's not like you'll overfill the tank and it'll spill out.. unless you are really handicap and lack common sense..

the symptoms the members above are experiencing are not very manageable and is a full out problem that needs to be addressed by a repair. for very subtle cases and rare occurrences, you can get away with your method of not inserting the nozzle all the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i suggest you read this entire thread from top to bottom. the problem here is no longer just an annoyance, but an actual problem that needs to be addressed with a repair.

just a short, heres what the problem is:
    - while filling up fuel, the pump will stop repeatedly.
    - changing nozzle position/length does not alleviate the problem.
    - gasoline splashes out violently out the filler hole causing a health and safety hazard
    - there is no noticeable leak in the system
    - fuel is spilling out before the fuel tank is anywhere near full

so far on this thread the problem has be diagnosed/confirmed by a dealer and members to be related to A)filler neck B) charcoal canister. this problem is also very common among other vehicles and there have been several cases of recalls. so unless you are really handicapped and lack common sense,this problem should be fixed properly instead of trying to manage it.

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulling it out doesn't work. I had this happen over the christmas break and once in the summer. i had over filled it previously (i have to stop doing that, but it's easier to keep track of gas fillups with a round number on my card history since sometimes the labels don't indicate gas). The air vent was full of fuel so it kept stopping, because it was thinking it was full since the air had nowhere to go. once i pulled the cap off and cycled the engine a few times like that, it worked fine. That was the summer, fast forward to this past christmas, I was driving christmas day and because of where i was, all the gas stations were closed, so i just pushed it til i got home (did about 100km on the light). was tired so figured i'd fill it the next day. But because it was so low i'm guessing there was some water that froze and blocked the air return since i was having the same backing up issue. Ended up putting my car in the garage with a heater pointed towards my filler neck and tank with the wheel off. Warmed it up nicely then cycled the engine a bunch, went to fill it up and it worked. I don't usually let it go below a quarter, but those times i was pressed for time and wasn't able to stop for gas, so i had to push it.

given how cold it is, you probably have a similar issue. are you low on gas?

hope that helps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as I stated, I have the exact same problem.. It's rectified by pulling the nozzle out a bit and LIFTING while you pump.. then the pump won't stop.

Most people that say it doesn't work are just pulling the nozzle out a bit and that's it.. I found if you do that, it won't work.. lifting is the key..

Sure it's not ideal but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car.. why waste money to fix something that doesn't need fixing..

I've never seen anyone have "gasoline splash out violently" lol.. what does the gasoline do to you? Does it jump out and box you? Does it try and stick you? Is it a gasoline gremlin?

i suggest you read this entire thread from top to bottom. the problem here is no longer just an annoyance, but an actual problem that needs to be addressed with a repair.

just a short, heres what the problem is:
    - while filling up fuel, the pump will stop repeatedly.
    - changing nozzle position/length does not alleviate the problem.
    - gasoline splashes out violently out the filler hole causing a health and safety hazard
    - there is no noticeable leak in the system
    - fuel is spilling out before the fuel tank is anywhere near full

so far on this thread the problem has be diagnosed/confirmed by a dealer and members to be related to A)filler neck B) charcoal canister. this problem is also very common among other vehicles and there have been several cases of recalls. so unless you are really handicapped and lack common sense,this problem should be fixed properly instead of trying to manage it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as I stated, I have the exact same problem.. It's rectified by pulling the nozzle out a bit and LIFTING while you pump.. then the pump won't stop.

Sure it's not ideal but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car.. why waste money to fix something that doesn't need fixing..

I've never seen anyone have "gasoline splash out violently" lol.. what does the gasoline do to you? Does it jump out and box you? Does it try and stick you? Is it a gasoline gremlin?

Alright well you'll find out when you are wearing some nice pants some time lol

Tried pulling out the nozzle almost all the way out, and lifting, and sideways.. gives me an extra few seconds but still stops.

My issue is not only not being to fill up in one shot, but i also have to go for my emissions this month, and I believe this might have something to do with evap & possibly failing the test as ive been doing some resding.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people that say it doesn't work are just pulling the nozzle out a bit and that's it.. I found if you do that, it won't work.. lifting is the key..

are you normally this thick? or just intentionally stupid? The OP and multiple other posters have said they tried "EVERYTHING" they have said pulling the nozzle out does nothing.

How about instead of being intentionally contradictory and argumentative you either put up or shut up? If you don't have something useful to add to this thread to help with the OP or the other people with this issue, the Effin Post Whore thread is open...how bout you go there
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...66#post1155066

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wear nice pants; I'm a mof'ing baller driving a Mazda3 lol jk

If you need emissions codes rear, ask one of the guys on here with an ELM OBD2 adapter + Torque app. It'll do the emissions for you for FREEEE (at least that's what people have told me.. I haven't quite figured out mine yet as two of the options still say "incomplete".. not sure how long it takes to do a full test)

As for the pumping issue, if pulling out an inch and lifting up on the pumping mechanism doesn't work then I guess you're stuck with the suggestions on here.. I'm just going off my experience and that's what works for me every time. It's a small inconvenience but I'd rather do that then waste 3 hours replacing the canister.

Quote Originally Posted by CxiV View Post
    Alright well you'll find out when you are wearing some nice pants some time lol

Tried pulling out the nozzle almost all the way out, and lifting, and sideways.. gives me an extra few seconds but still stops.

My issue is not only not being to fill up in one shot, but i also have to go for my emissions this month, and I believe this might have something to do with evap & possibly failing the test as ive been doing some resding.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont think your understanding what happening here...what you have is not what these people are experiencing.

as stated by other members, adjusting the nozzle to ANY position is not working. gasoline is spilling out and the gasoline is being pushed out of the hole. this is because there IS a problem in the system and need to be treated as such. this also seems to be an intermittent problem so people ignore it after the symptoms are no longer there. however, if the problems persist then a repair is a must.

you obviously dont know the hazards of gasoline or you would know that its no good if your directly exposed to it for a period of time. gasoline is an irritant and can cause burns to the skin. it then evaporates into vapors which destroys cells and eats away at the internal mebrane of the respiratory system. on top of that, gasoline vapors are highly explosive and can be ignited with ease.

let me show you what its like having gasoline come gushing out

Last edited by silverstarmazda; 01-24-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at this argument...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast