Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The whole car shakes between speeds of 105km/h-120km/h...what could it be?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down The whole car shakes between speeds of 105km/h-120km/h...what could it be?

Can't believe this is happen, but every time I drive between speed of 105km-120km, the whole car (suspension and steering wheel) just shakes. It almost feels like the bouncing up and down constantly. Then the shake will go away once I go beyond 120km/h.

I checked my tire pressure when cold and all 4 tires are at 33-34 PSI. The car is BRAND NEW with 1100km on the clock.

What could it be? Tire balancing?

Thanks in advance guys!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The whole car shakes between speeds of 105km/h-120km/h...what could it be?

Forgot to add, the "shake" is especially noticeable on the 404NB stretch...going from Sheppard to Steels...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The whole car shakes between speeds of 105km/h-120km/h...what could it be?

I have a 2013 Mazda 3 GX non-skyactive and I notice it does kind of something close to that, but its contributed to the way the mazdas are built. You notice and feel lots through the tires. I really don't know how bad te shake is though. If its under warranty I would just bring it to the dealer

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like out of balance wheel. Can happen even with a new car. The reason it is worse in the 110 km/h range is likely due to resonance...
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Sounds like out of balance wheel. Can happen even with a new car. The reason it is worse in the 110 km/h range is likely due to resonance...
    Your right, who knows how much they rush when they throw those tires on a new car

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

prob lost a wheel weight. I would get the car rebalanced.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for the quick reply guys! Appreciate the support I'm getting from this community.

So I guess the second part of this question would be....Can anyone recommend a professional place to balance these tires?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ice512 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply guys! Appreciate the support I'm getting from this community.

So I guess the second part of this question would be....Can anyone recommend a professional place to balance these tires?
    If your car is that new as you stated, take it back to the dealership and let them look at it like someone else mentioned.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynames View Post
    If your car is that new as you stated, take it back to the dealership and let them look at it like someone else mentioned.
    There's something I don't trust about the dealer I bought the car from. Unless it's a simple oil change I get a feeling they are going to make it worse. That's why I'd rather pay a small amount to have a professional tire store to do it for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then check out the sponsors section here and take it one of them....Tires23, SimplyTire, etc.

Ride
    RAM 1500 HEMI
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Then check out the sponsors section here and take it one of them....Tires23, SimplyTire, etc.
    +1
    2008 Copper Red Mazda 3 GS

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would go to a different dealer if you don't trust you bought the car from.
    your car is basically brand new, and might as well have a record running at mazda in case of future warranty issues.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's something I don't trust about the dealer I bought the car from. Unless it's a simple oil change I get a feeling they are going to make it worse. That's why I'd rather pay a small amount to have a professional tire store to do it for me.
    Take it to another dealer as @roachkillah mentioned. I had tire issues as well and like you I didnt trust the dealer I bought it from so I switched. Never went back to the original dealer ever since.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't count out the dealer unless you have a concrete reason to.

At least if it continues, its on paper at the dealer and you can move on from there.
    -- Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 --
    STOCK FTW ... well because warranty

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

404 NB? Yeah it might not be your car. That stretch is just bad. Something about how they lay the surface. My speed3 feels slightly bouncy on it all the time. I had my tires balanced and suspension checked without finding any cause or cures. It's just that stupid stretch of road. On other bits of roads no issue what so ever.

I found it hard to believe it was that road because in my wife's civic I don't feel anything like that on the same stretch. Then I had a ride in a friend's new Sonata and it does the same thing on that stretch of road. We figure the civic is much older and had higher profile tires so that might be why it doesn't show the same behaviour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gotak View Post
    404 NB? Yeah it might not be your car. That stretch is just bad. Something about how they lay the surface. My speed3 feels slightly bouncy on it all the time. I had my tires balanced and suspension checked without finding any cause or cures. It's just that stupid stretch of road. On other bits of roads no issue what so ever.

I found it hard to believe it was that road because in my wife's civic I don't feel anything like that on the same stretch. Then I had a ride in a friend's new Sonata and it does the same thing on that stretch of road. We figure the civic is much older and had higher profile tires so that might be why it doesn't show the same behaviour.
    So I had my tires roadforce balanced at Simply Tires today, and when I drove home from Sheppard NB to Steels, the vibration is still there. In fact it got a little bit worse. The passenger seat doesn't shake anymore, now the whole car bounces up/down.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I had my tires roadforce balanced at Simply Tires today, and when I drove home from Sheppard NB to Steels, the vibration is still there. In fact it got a little bit worse. The passenger seat doesn't shake anymore, now the whole car bounces up/down.
    Here is a question...why didn't you just take it to the dealer? They should be doing all of this for free since you are under 20K.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wherever you go, ask the shop to check the "radial run out" on the tires. Tires are not generally perfectly round. Measuring run out tells you how out of round they are. It is generally measured in thousandths of an inch. Anything over 0.060" is probably going to contribute to the car shaking, some cars are more sensitive than others. Vibrations in the range of speeds you mentioned can suggest an issue with run out. It doesn't necessarily mean the tires are bad, they may just need to be dismounted and remounted properly.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does the car have factory wheels & tires or aftermarket?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try and figure it out more but if it doesn't do this on other section of highway you need to think about it: Is it likely 1) Something with your car or 2) The road? For me it is clear the road's at fault because more than 1 car shows this problem and also it doesn't happen on other highways or on fresh smooth country roads.

I got a dashcam recently and you can actually see lines on the surface of the 404 and you can hear them as the car rolls over them. I think for me that's what was bugging me before. At some speeds you just hit those at just the right frequency to make the car feels like it's bouncing back and forth.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys,
    I've been doing a lot of research on this topic because it just started happening to me too. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 GT, fairly stock. It's winter time in Toronto and I have had my winters on since November. All of the sudden yesterday I was driving on the 401 facing quite possibly the worst winds I have ever driven against and for the first time I felt this terrifying vibration/hop at 100km/h. I got off the highway and checked all my lugs, they were right. What's strange is it was all of the sudden. Nothing has changed between my last highway drive. And not I have this issue. And I notice the car bounce/hop at lower speeds. Which leads me to wonder if the wheel/tire might not be to blame? Anyone have any ideas? It was very nerve racking feeling it for the first time. Could it be a bearing going? I don't hear a whole lot. Would you hear it at low speeds?
    Look forward to solving this issue.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by $peed View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I've been doing a lot of research on this topic because it just started happening to me too. I have a 2008 Mazda 3 GT, fairly stock. It's winter time in Toronto and I have had my winters on since November. All of the sudden yesterday I was driving on the 401 facing quite possibly the worst winds I have ever driven against and for the first time I felt this terrifying vibration/hop at 100km/h. I got off the highway and checked all my lugs, they were right. What's strange is it was all of the sudden. Nothing has changed between my last highway drive. And not I have this issue. And I notice the car bounce/hop at lower speeds. Which leads me to wonder if the wheel/tire might not be to blame? Anyone have any ideas? It was very nerve racking feeling it for the first time. Could it be a bearing going? I don't hear a whole lot. Would you hear it at low speeds?
    Look forward to solving this issue.
    Could just be ice build up in rims. Normally it doesn't just happen overnight, seeing as you feel it at lower speeds too. Check if there is ice built up in the rims.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Could just be ice build up in rims. Normally it doesn't just happen overnight, seeing as you feel it at lower speeds too. Check if there is ice built up in the rims.
    +1. Had same thing happen to me yesterday while on 401. I knew it was ice buildup in the rims and struts while it was parked at work and I had to clear snow dunes from around my car after work as my parking lot is just across the open fields and directly in the way to yesterday's freezing winds. But after 30-40mins of drive it was gone. I had snow even in my door jams. Now how the hell did snow got in thr....lol
    2005 MZ3 HB- Velocity Red - To go sliding
    2014 BRZ - Whiteout - To go sideways

"He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling." - Jeremy Clarkson

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car was parked overnight in underground parking (slightly above 0C) so if ice was the issue, it should melt away. My girlfriend took the car out and said she didn't feel anything up to 120km/h. Hopefully it's gone, but I want to check for myself.
    If its ice, then jeez this year is cold.
    Karl

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by $peed View Post
    My car was parked overnight in underground parking (slightly above 0C) so if ice was the issue, it should melt away. My girlfriend took the car out and said she didn't feel anything up to 120km/h. Hopefully it's gone, but I want to check for myself.
    If its ice, then jeez this year is cold.
    Karl
    This year is definitely cold. Hopefully it was just snow/ice. Could have happened from just driving. I didn't mean the snow ended up there overnight (obviously not in the garage anyways) but driving through unplowed/ heavily covered roads, can make snow stick to the rims.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast