Thread: Those with Koni Yellow + Cobb Springs (or any other lowering springs) - Feedback?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb MS3:Those with Koni Yellow + Cobb Springs (or any other lowering springs) - Feedback?

Hi everyone,

Just curious for all those who have the Koni Yellows, what's your take?

I'm more or less looking for ride quality, and handling?

I've been on Cobb Springs and Cobb sways, with stock shocks for about 2-3 years now, and the ride is starting to get unbearable.
    The dealerships have never told me that my shocks are blown, but it might as well feel that way.

Just curious what you guys think and if you are enjoying your setup?

Also any input on your koni yellow adjustments/settings would be good to should i choose to pick up a set off peter.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kid_icarus; 03-18-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Those with Koni Yellow + Cobb Springs (or any other lowering springs) - Feedback?

Phil,

Where ya been guy?

Here is some reading for you on the subject in case you haven't seen it already. Talks about adjustment set-up's also.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...71/index2.html

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...c-konis-55641/

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...estions-37305/

Can't give you any first hand feedback yet, but will be able to in about a month as I will be lowering on the MS3 Yellow's and Eibach Prokits.

I think Fobio and MJBIT are on Koni's and will be able to chime in.
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 03-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Those with Koni Yellow + Cobb Springs (or any other lowering springs) - Feedback?

Hey guys sry i also got a question...

Like i mentioned when i first started here...that im just new to modding...so learning stuff and all that....im planning to put eibach pro kits this summer...am i gonna need konis?
    Click to see Her!!!!
    @Mazdy - Instagram
    Official Team IG - @TeamEndlessPossibilities

2013 Mazdaspeed 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its recommended. Your shocks and struts will wear out faster. Plus you will feel the bumps alot harder. Konis make it smoother. Also camber arms are recommended because when you lower it, it might throw off the camber specs, so be prepared to dish out another $200 for them. Its a hit a miss with it, some only have a slight change and are still within specs, some aren't so lucky. Having them way out of spec will cause premature tire wear on one side of the tire. Someone correct me if im wrong. Do some research as there are many threads on this. This is how i learned.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the research that I've done prior to ordering mine, on Cobb springs you will want to run Yellows not FSDs. Settings, start soft... not full hard. Get the rears adjusted right the first time as I think you have to have them off the car to do so. Paging Fobio and Starscream...

Still waiting for mine. MASSIVE backorder. I don't know what's harder to get, the Koni's or a CP-e HPFP!

Quote Originally Posted by kid_icarus View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just curious for all those who have the Koni Yellows, what's your take?

I'm more or less looking for ride quality, and handling?

I've been on Cobb Springs and Cobb sways, with stock shocks for about 2-3 years now, and the ride is starting to get unbearable.
    The dealerships have never told me that my shocks are blown, but it might as well feel that way.

Just curious what you guys think and if you are enjoying your setup?

Also any input on your koni yellow adjustments/settings would be good to should i choose to pick up a set off peter.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    We don't recirculate our boost, we vent that hoe to the atmosphere. We don't suggest standing in the same room with this thing goes off. The pressure change will be so great that when ambient pressure returns to normal, you'll die from the bends.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdy View Post
    Hey guys sry i also got a question...

Like i mentioned when i first started here...that im just new to modding...so learning stuff and all that....im planning to put eibach pro kits this summer...am i gonna need konis?
    You have a regular 3 and not an MS3, so a little different. This said, you'll be fine for the first year and maybe two on aftermarket springs and OEM struts. After that, your OEM struts will degrade and so will your ride quality and at that point, you will need aftermarket struts.

So, two choices, buy everything at once and be good to go, or buy only the springs and end up having to buy struts a few years later anyway.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to just offer up an opinion because everyone drives a little differently, weighs differently and drive in different situations. I drive my car daily, but it might be a tad beyond what some consider a daily driver.

The KONI's are a definite improvement. MBNTO, on stock height, could've gotten away with FSD's...lowered, the Sport's/Tellows are recommended. If you're able to source the MZ5/MS3 equivalent (20% uprate compared to the Sport's/Yellows for the MZ3), then you can run them relatively soft. With Cobb RSB, I'd say lowest setting in the rear, and maybe 20% up front. Those are just suggested numbers....the power output of your car and other factors such as tire width, etc, can affect your preference.

EDIT: Might be a good idea to label these threads "MS3" to keep the discussion focused.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horto View Post
    From the research that I've done prior to ordering mine, on Cobb springs you will want to run Yellows not FSDs. Settings, start soft... not full hard. Get the rears adjusted right the first time as I think you have to have them off the car to do so. Paging Fobio and Starscream...

Still waiting for mine. MASSIVE backorder. I don't know what's harder to get, the Koni's or a CP-e HPFP!
    +1. FSD's if you stay on stock springs. With aftermarket springs, the FSD's are not recommended and you need the Yellow's.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ok...well my budget right now is for the springs...with that said ill just buy eibacha and strut bar on the front...so basically change the bar after a year or two am i right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    You have a regular 3 and not an MS3, so a little different. This said, you'll be fine for the first year and maybe two on aftermarket springs and OEM struts. After that, your OEM struts will degrade and so will your ride quality and at that point, you will need aftermarket struts.

So, two choices, buy everything at once and be good to go, or buy only the springs and end up having to buy struts a few years later anyway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! will read up on the links too.
    Not very well versed on this as I've been trying to avoid modding for the last year as been pretty busy with childish distractions like marriage and finding a house ROFL.

gotta do more reading on this. but sounds like the yellows are the way to go. i just cant' stand the terrible bouncing around anymore... i feel like i'm getting thrown in the car when i go over a sewer cover lol

Tim... my dissapearrance is a result of the above! haha

i'll mainly be considering this a daily driver.
    pretty much taking city streets to work now so i want to reduce the harsh drive.
    seems sorta embarrassing sometimes to go over a small dip in the road and have the car look like it's herbie on steriods
    Last edited by kid_icarus; 03-18-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdy View Post
    Oh ok...well my budget right now is for the springs...with that said ill just buy eibacha and strut bar on the front...so basically change the bar after a year or two am i right?
    Mazdy, PM me and I'll help you. Let's keep this thread on topic regarding Mazdaspeed3 and Cobb Springs/Strut options.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw...if you feel your rear end is bouncy...and getting bouncier, then your shocks are gone. I was expecting a slow leak, but mine worked fine all the way up to a leak, and then I think it leaked out all in one wknd.

...and congrats on the new dig and priorities in life!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks fobio!
    i think i'm done after.... for another year
    she's going to audit this and i'm screwed lol

yeah... you're right.. it's probably slowly going to it's death... sigh!

i'm gonna place the order... but think i might just do it throught he US website as i will ship to my brothers

koni has two versions

yellows for the Speed 3
    and yellows for the reg 3....
    i see a difference in the model #'s but i'm not sure what nextmod is supplying to everyone here?

any ideas?
    Last edited by kid_icarus; 03-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks fobio!

i'm gonna place the order... but think i might just do it throught he US website as i will ship to my brothers

koni has two versions

yellows for the Speed 3
    i see a difference in the model #'s but i'm not sure what nextmod is supplying to everyone here?

any ideas?
    Can't speak for NextMod, but from that article on MSF, the Yellows for the MZ3 are exactly that... shocks for the Mazda 3. The shocks for the Mazdaspeed3 on the other hand, are re-purposed shocks for the Mazda5. By 'repurposed' I just mean to say that Koni realized the MZ5 shocks were a much better match to the car than any of their other offerings, and changed their recommendation accordingly.

By my understanding, the MZ5 shocks were/are a low-demand, low-production product, so wait times are longer on them due to the surge of MS3 owners clamouring over them.

2010 Mazda 3 Sport - Gunmetal Blue Mica

- Tints - LED Interior - Aluminum Pedals - Rally Armour - VG Sharkfin - Morimoto 5000k HID - Nokya Fog Lamps -
    - MS3 Rims - TWM Shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit - Koni Sports - Corksport SRI - Hella Supertones - Yakima Rack -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks fobio!

koni has two versions

yellows for the Speed 3

any ideas?
    They'll order whatever you specify, which should be the specific part numbers for the MS3 Yellows. Note that they are back-ordered until at least April and maybe longer on the MS3 Yellows.

Front
    8741 1490LSport
    8741 1490RSport

Retail Price: $540.00
    KONI Online Price: $405.00
    KONI Sale Price: $324.00 per pair

Rear

8040 1354Sport

Retail Price: $400.00
    KONI Online Price: $300.00
    KONI Sale Price: $240.00 per pair

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!!

The longer the backorder, the longer I can delay telling my wife... and the longer before it shows up on my cc statement!!!
    PHEW!