Thread: Mazda of Toronto...Horrible Service Experience

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Mazda of Toronto...Horrible Service Experience

Well today I had a horrible experience at Mazda of Toronto's service department.

History: Back in June I got the mazda dealership here in town (I live in kitchener) to perform my rustproofing check that was required for warranty purposes. The dealership came back to me and said that it needs touching up and I would have to take the car to where I purchased it from to get it resprayed under warranty. Local dealership could do it but they would charge me. I said ok np I'll go back to Mazda of Toronto where I bought the car from Jeff to get it touched up.

fast forward to this week.

Knowing that my dealership here in town is booking services for the day ahead I thought to myself I would book a day in advance to ensure my car get's in on Tuesday as I have to meet with Jeff to take car of a couple things. Monday morning at about 12:30am I filled out an online service request form on the Mazda of Toronto website listing what I needed done.

*Brake fluid flush
    *Trailing arm bushings replaced
    *MSP26 (rust prevention service that mazda sent letters out about)
    *Rustproofing that was purchased with car touched up.

Later Monday morning about 8:15am I get a phone call from the service desk calling to review my request and confirm an appointment time. I went over my list of items with the person on the phone and set up a meeting time of 9am. ok cool all is good.

This morning, Leave Kitchener at 7, got to 401 and yonge at 9am and was at dealership for 9:10am, yes I know I'm 10 min late, I got stuck in traffic on yonge and was already feeling bad. I walked in, waited my turn in line, approached desk and said "Hi i have an appointment for 9, sorry I'm 10 min late I got stuck in traffic on Yonge." They asked for my name, found me on the system again went through the list again with me. All was ok they took my keys and I asked about a time figure on being done and we both figured between 1 or 2pm. That was fine I expected 6hrs...

Between the time of 9:15am and 11am I sat in the waiting area, went and talked to Joe in the parts dept who already had my work order and had my parts picked for the repairs and the proceeeded to talk with Jeff upstairs and he took care of my couple of issues. At 11am I headed back to the waiting area I look out the window and my car is still sitting there. I thought to myself "WTF...oh here we go again". At around 11:15am I went out and walked around outside and by my car and looked to see if it had been moved at all thinking maybe it got pulled into the shop by one tech for one repair and was brought back out for another tech to do another portion. I had parked in a puddle, there was no wet tire tread markings on the ground showing it had been moved, there was a puddle at my rear wheel well from snow melting and the car was still parked infront of the black post i parked it infront of.

Kind of fuming to myself at this point I decided to wait and see how long it takes to get my car in the door. I went back inside and waited and talked on the TM3 BBM group doing a live review there since I couldn't post on the forums from my phone. At 11:45am my car is finally taken into the shop. 2.5 hrs after arrival!!! At 12:15pm I went down to Joe just to see if they had even grabbed my parts yet to do the one job. They hadn't. Joe asked why i was asking and I told him it took them 2.5hrs to get my car in the shop...He wasn't impressed. Fuming to myself I wait in the waiting area and just before 1 I got to lunch with a friend I haven't seen in 4 yrs...was a good lunch and a nice break!

I get back to the dealership about 2:10 walk in the side door for service, I look at all the service staff and they look at me, they don't say anything to me at all. I continued walking through up to Jeff's office to pick up some papers. He asked if I was good to go I said "not even close, took them 2.5hrs just to get my car in the door." He was not impressed either. We talked for a few min, he called to see how my car was doing and whoever he talked to wasn't sure as they didn't help me. I said ok np I'll go find out how things were going. I decided for the heck of it I would go to parts and see if they had picked up the parts yet for the trailing arm bushings. Joe says to me, "all that for nothing eh" I was like "what do you mean?" He's like "you don't know?" I'm like "know what?" He says "yeah we can't do the trailing arm bushings, we don't have the tooling" I was about ready to fume over again, I said thanks and was gonna head up to service to find out what was going on... Joe appoligized and I knew it wasn't his fault.

Its now about 2:20-2:25 ish...I head up to the service desk and stand infront of the desk of the guy who I had delt with in the morning (think it was Rick...younger guy that stands to the right of Vincent when standing infront of the desk), I see my keys sitting on the desk there...I asked how is my car doing, He directs me over to Kenny on the other side of the desk. I ask specifically " Is all the work done" he says "well here you need to talk to Kenny" I wait for Kenny to get off the phone and he says to me about them not having the proper tooling to press in/out the bushings so "I need to find a dealership that does" If I was replacing the whole trailing arm they could do it as the bushings are already installed. He then goes through the rest of the bill with me and shows me what they did for the rust proofing service letter. That was ok, As I never got a real clear answer about whether they did the rust proofing touch up on the bottom of the car I asked again and he goes "no, we don't do that" we just do inspections and then you have to phone this company and they set it all up. Me knowing this was completly wrong I said ok fine shook his hand and let him go. I told the recepionist I would be right back. I went to Jeff and explained everything that had now transpried and he was taken back like WTF...He had a good idea of what happened, and that there was a misunderstanding. For some reason they thought I meant paint touch up even though I said rustproofing Numerous times! Jeff was great and came and talked to Kenny for me and got it all sorted out...He even told them "we do the rust proofing" lol

So now its 2:45 and I gave my keys back again, I sat in the waiting area and waited a few minutes and Kenny came out to double check what I meant so I explained it to him again, then he <b>finally</b> got it.
    In the meantime of waiting for my car again I tried to speak with the service manager but he never answered the page. They finally finished my car about 3:40. While paying I had the service manager paged 2 more times but he was busy and didn't come up to reception. I fully intend on sending a letter to him explaining how my day went and how crappy their service department was.

You would think after going over the list of services required 3+ <b> Times!!!</b> you think they would be A) able to tell me we can't do the bushings and B) understand I'm talking about rustproofing touch up and not paint touch up.

Needless to say I will no longer give MOT any service work again unless I need another rustproofing touch up. They need to realize that people's/my time is just as important as their time...and making my car sit for OVER 2.5hrs in the parking lot before it gets inthe door is outragous!!! I could have understood having to wait up to 30 min to get my car in as i was 10 min late. fine no problem...but 2.5hrs is ridiculous!!! The sad part is, this isn't the first time I've run into time issues. Lesson learned for sure.

To Joe and Jeff: I just wanted to say thanks for all the help today! You two show time and time again how a dealership should be run! Helping customers and putting them First! I hope the service side of things takes a lengthy note on how to improve, but I have my doubts that they will.

Sorry for the long rant!
    Last edited by dsichewski; 03-30-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda of Toronto...Horrible Service Experience

Good review... more paragraghs next time tho... lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoXy View Post
    Good review... more paragraghs next time tho... lol
    Sorry, was still fuming a bit when I wrote it out...

Jr Member
    Ride
    2019 RAV4 TRAIL
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...was difficult to read, it got so blurry lol. Great review though, i never take my car to the dealership for reasons like this.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dsichewski View Post
    Sorry, was still fuming a bit when I wrote it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwokalobster View Post
    Wow...was difficult to read, it got so blurry lol. Great review though, i never take my car to the dealership for reasons like this.
    Ok I've split it up into more paragraphs to help make it more readable...Sorry about that...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwokalobster View Post
    To be fair, not EVERY dealership is like that. Though for sure, if you don't live near one of the better ones or can't find one you trust, for sure go to somewhere you do trust.
    2008.5 GT Sport - Black Mica - SOLD!
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica - Minor Mods

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, nice patience to write it all up...my eyes hurt me now though lol.

Haven't ever dealt with Jeff but Joe is a pretty cool kat!

cheers

say hi to my puppy

"Always leave a CLEAN set of foot prints"

"I like my car....but I'll like my car even more when it's lowered with Tangerine rims"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice write up ... but you shock someones hand in service??? strange lol Joe or Jeff I'd understand but Kenny who did nothing for you ... madness

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by towelsnap View Post
    nice write up ... but you shock someones hand in service??? strange lol Joe or Jeff I'd understand but Kenny who did nothing for you ... madness
    Well of course I shook Jeff and Joe's hands...

But, yes I shook Kenny's hand as he extended it out to me at the reception desk when I was to pay the first time around....honestly after the convo I had just had with him I just wanted him gone. So I stayed polite kept my cool...

I had decided from the start when I first saw my car hadn't gone in and it had been 2 hrs to not loose it like a mad man and scream and raise hell... some would say I should have but I felt that would have gotten me no where and would have made things worse...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not discrediting you at all. It takes a lot to keep calm I would have lost it for sure in your situation. But for sure let us know the outcome

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't really a surprise. You have to remember the dealer is out for money. They could care less about their clients. The worst part is no one knows what the other guy is doing. Everyone just passes the buck.
    You can't find an "honest" dealer nowadays.
    Either learn to do the maintenance yourself, or find a shop that specializes in the vehicle you own.

What really bakes my bacon is how they convince you need extra warranty or rust protection after you've negotiated the price on your car. Then comes the barrage of "what if" scenarios so you feel vulnerable. They sucker you into spending more cash which goes directly to them.
    Good luck trying to uphold the agreement with the dealer or anyone else after you've owned your car for awhile. You are kidding yourself if you fall for their trap.

Also watch out for those tricky "PDI" expenses. I've noticed now alot of dealers include wheel locks as part of the "PDI". Which ups the price another $70.
    You've got to watch all this like a hawk when you're negotiating the price of your car.

Trying to buy a new car nowadays is such a chore. Takes the fun right out of it.

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    This isn't really a surprise. You have to remember the dealer is out for money. They could care less about their clients. The worst part is no one knows what the other guy is doing. Everyone just passes the buck.
    You can't find an "honest" dealer nowadays.
    Either learn to do the maintenance yourself, or find a shop that specializes in the vehicle you own.

What really bakes my bacon is how they convince you need extra warranty or rust protection after you've negotiated the price on your car. Then comes the barrage of "what if" scenarios so you feel vulnerable. They sucker you into spending more cash which goes directly to them.
    Good luck trying to uphold the agreement with the dealer or anyone else after you've owned your car for awhile. You are kidding yourself if you fall for their trap.

Also watch out for those tricky "PDI" expenses. I've noticed now alot of dealers include wheel locks as part of the "PDI". Which ups the price another $70.
    You've got to watch all this like a hawk when you're negotiating the price of your car.

Trying to buy a new car nowadays is such a chore. Takes the fun right out of it.
    Not sure you even read the post..

His car is over 4 yrs old.. his post is about the lack of communication from service to the client and then delays involved as well as the inability to perform a repair.. it wasn't about PDI or wheel locks
    Damn you photobucket.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha ... good point. Misplaced rant.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff,

Of course I read the post. It's about someone not getting the level of service expected, even after they've gone over the requirements at least 4 times.
    They have every reason to vent. Which puts dealerships on the spot. Word on the internet travels fast.
    What I'm surprised is how you seem surprised as to how the service department does business??? I mean, you work there for how long now? And you don't know what goes on back there? You've never spoken to any of the guys who do the actual work in all the time you've been there?
    Sure, you try to make it right, and you talk to the other guys to get their act straight. But the truth is no one knows what the other people are doing. Communication between departments is nill.

Service is there to service the people who've already got a car. How they obtained it is irrelevant. They're there to do "service" on the car.
    Sales is there to push the new/used cars out the door. They don't care how, they just know they have to push them out. That's their job.
    Managers are there to make sure no one gets anything for free anymore. Because they use to do that, they use to have alot more people come, but that resulted in giving away more free stuff... which is no way of making money. Especially with the economy the way it is.

So we've got a customer who drives a Mazda3. Has done everything by the book. And still got screwed over. And has the decency of still giving props to some people. Those who's hands are tied and have no "authority" to do anything.

This is nothing new... it goes on in every dealership. More so on the more "common" brands than some of the upper "luxury" brands. God forbid something like this happens to someone who drives a Ferrari. Then again, they've paid how much for their car?? Rest assure, they probably have to deal with some of this as well.

So again, you're stuck with some choices.
    Either try your luck with another dealer, continue to get screwed by the current dealer, or try to do the maintenance yourself.
    It all comes down to how valuable is your time? Do you want the job done correctly?

Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff,

Of course I read the post. It's about someone not getting the level of service expected, even after they've gone over the requirements at least 4 times.
    They have every reason to vent. Which puts dealerships on the spot. Word on the internet travels fast.
    What I'm surprised is how you seem surprised as to how the service department does business??? I mean, you work there for how long now? And you don't know what goes on back there? You've never spoken to any of the guys who do the actual work in all the time you've been there?
    Sure, you try to make it right, and you talk to the other guys to get their act straight. But the truth is no one knows what the other people are doing. Communication between departments is nill.
    Where does it say I am surprised.. on a daily basis I go out of my way to ensure my clients are well taken care of regardless of how long they have had their car... also why I recommend Vincent to all of my clients. He and I are on the same page.

Service is there to service the people who've already got a car. How they obtained it is irrelevant. They're there to do "service" on the car.

Sales is there to push the new/used cars out the door. They don't care how, they just know they have to push them out. That's their job.
    Managers are there to make sure no one gets anything for free anymore. Because they use to do that, they use to have alot more people come, but that resulted in giving away more free stuff... which is no way of making money. Especially with the economy the way it is.

So we've got a customer who drives a Mazda3. Has done everything by the book. And still got screwed over. And has the decency of still giving props to some people. Those who's hands are tied and have no "authority" to do anything.

This is nothing new... it goes on in every dealership. More so on the more "common" brands than some of the upper "luxury" brands. God forbid something like this happens to someone who drives a Ferrari. Then again, they've paid how much for their car?? Rest assure, they probably have to deal with some of this as well.

So again, you're stuck with some choices.
    Either try your luck with another dealer, continue to get screwed by the current dealer, or try to do the maintenance yourself.
    It all comes down to how valuable is your time? Do you want the job done correctly?
    To this.. I agree. with the exception of the strike outs..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mine hurts too..

Quote Originally Posted by j-ski View Post
    Wow, nice patience to write it all up...my eyes hurt me now though lol.

Haven't ever dealt with Jeff but Joe is a pretty cool kat!

cheers
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need Jeff working at QEW Mazda (but magically moved to a more central location) with Jimmy as the service tech (clone him!)

Win

Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinn View Post
    We need Jeff working at QEW Mazda (but magically moved to a more central location) with Jimmy as the service tech (clone him!)

Win
    Wait... do they have cookies?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-TheBiz View Post
    Wait... do they have cookies?
    Yes, QEW Mazda has cookies

Ride
    Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_F1 View Post
    Yes, QEW Mazda has cookies
    Sorry jeff they arent for the employees

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to put this thread back on track...

Letter was sent to service manager yesturday....will see if they send anything back...

I know I'm not gonna get anything out of it, but I more want to see the service dept change and improve so that a future customer will never have to experience what I had to go through.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised about your car not going in the shop for 2.5 hours. This isn't unusual for a busy dealership, this is why they usually give you a ballpark time frame as to when the work should be completed, they tend to give themselves a lot of wiggle room, and they're pretty accurate most of the time..

I am surprised, however, that a legit Mazda dealership does not have the proper tools to do certain jobs. This isn't an uncommon job either for the mazda3, most people buy the $35 bushing (or whatever you paid for it lol) instead of the entire $300+ trailing arm... wow.

I hope they can work something out for you, but honestly, from a Mazda dealership, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Jeff and Joe can only do so much for you. And Mazda Canada is useless when it comes to customer service...

Good luck with everything!