2011 Honda CR-V
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2004-2004 Mazda 3 corrosion problems

http://www.wheels.ca/feature/mazda-r...r-by-surprise/

Link to article in the Star with response from Mazda.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2004-2004 Mazda 3 corrosion problems

I just registered on this forum so I'll share my experience with Mazda. I purchased Mazda 3, 2004 GT automatic transmission, from a private seller e-tested and safety certified for $5,600 (95,000 km). It had rust spots on all four wheel wells as well as in the front, back and sides. I checked out the prices for rust repair at my mechanic and they charge about $350 for a wheel so around $1,400 or more for the full work. An alternative to that they offered to paint the rust spots with black lines thereby creating a new design for cheaper price (about $500). I've decided to repair the rust spots myself. I've purchased base coat color, primer, clear coat, rust converter, grinding wheels (I had a grinder and a drill), fiberglass with hardener and cloth, some regular caulking for water holes. I cleaned up all the rust spots along the body and even spots just under the car (by the doors). The entire work took me about two weeks. I wasn't working or going to school so I had plenty of time to invest in this rust repair work. It turned out not too bad with some of the edges where I repainted and filled up holes with fiberglass. I learned how to do the job by watching YouTube videos and reading stuff on the internet. The entire cost of repair was about $200. It didn't turn out perfectly but I think it was worth it (was my first time doing the rust repair).
    The car is fun to drive but a bit more gas hungry than say Honda Civic (I owned that car before purchasing Mazda). The car looks good overall.
    After purchasing I took it to my mechanic shop for inspection and it turned out the transmission oil pan was rusted out and leaking. The mechanic replaced the transmission oil pan and changed oil and air filter on it ($240).
    Another problem with the car is the CD player skips. I tried playing different CD's but it still skips. I'm thinking about replacing the CD player in it as I like to listen to music in car.
    The car also leans a little to the right so I'm planning to take it for realignment.
    A check engine light came on one day after I left the car for a day in the parking lot (it was raining). It turned out some kind of gas vapor leakage but my mechanic didn't bother with that and said it's not that important. The check engine light didn't come on ever since.
    Overall, a pretty good and reliable fun to drive car. The major issue is the rust. If you don't mind repairing the rust yourself its' worth buying a Mazda.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234