Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3 or RX-8?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Mazda 3 or RX-8?

I currently own a 2010 Mazda 3 GS Sedan, and unfortunately I can't help but wonder if I made the right decision. For a fraction of what I paid I could have got a 2004 RX-8. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether I should have gone with the RX-8 and how the RX-8 compares to the Mazda 3. I'm thinking about trading in or selling my 3 privately while it still has low KM and getting back as much as I can. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 or RX-8?

A little late now. That's what test drives are for.
    Go and test-drive one and see if you like itor you'll make the switch then be in the same situation again. Just know that you'll lose some money selling your 3. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are both really two different cars. The mazda3 is a peppy fun small economy car whereas the RX-8 is an entry level sports car.

It depends on your lifestyle and what you're looking for. If you're looking for a car that can get you from A-B with some excitement as well as practicality and decent gas mileage, then the mazda3 would be the choice.

Or if you're looking for an exciting sports car feel with RWD and one that can give you an exhilirating ride around corners but will be less practical (smaller rear, smaller rear doors) as well as be heavier on gas and be RWD in the winter (for the winter could be a concern depending on the driver) then the RX-8 is the way to go.

Maybe if you let us know your primary usages of the car and what you're looking for in a car it'll be easier for us to advise on which one is the right car for you. Keep in mind this is a mazda3 board.. however, I would think that a lot of us would LOVE the RX-8 if we 1) had the oppurtunity or much more importantly IMO 2) could have a lifestyle that could handle the car (gas prices, practicality etc.)
    2015 Subaru WRX Sport / Dark Grey Metallic
    2007 Mazda3 Sport GS 2.3L / Crystal Pearl White / 5spd - rip

Jr Member
    Ride
    2019 RAV4 TRAIL
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tweak_s View Post
    They are both really two different cars. The mazda3 is a peppy fun small economy car whereas the RX-8 is an entry level sports car.

It depends on your lifestyle and what you're looking for. If you're looking for a car that can get you from A-B with some excitement as well as practicality and decent gas mileage, then the mazda3 would be the choice.

Or if you're looking for an exciting sports car feel with RWD and one that can give you an exhilirating ride around corners but will be less practical (smaller rear, smaller rear doors) as well as be heavier on gas and be RWD in the winter (for the winter could be a concern depending on the driver) then the RX-8 is the way to go.

Maybe if you let us know your primary usages of the car and what you're looking for in a car it'll be easier for us to advise on which one is the right car for you. Keep in mind this is a mazda3 board.. however, I would think that a lot of us would LOVE the RX-8 if we 1) had the oppurtunity or much more importantly IMO 2) could have a lifestyle that could handle the car (gas prices, practicality etc.)
    +1 Well said.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

askclaudio would be a good member to consult. He just went from a 05 3 to an rx8. I have a friend who has a rx-8 r3 (new gen) and he absoloutely loves it although it is super heavy on gas
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No point selling your 2010 mz3 just to get an old 04 RX-8? its a waste of money if u trade it in...if it was the new gen RX-8s then its a different story
    Click to see Her!!!!
    @Mazdy - Instagram
    Official Team IG - @TeamEndlessPossibilities

2013 Mazdaspeed 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you actually did research into the RX-8, you'd know 2004-2005 are years you need to avoid.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I will likely keep my 3. I love the car, don't get me wrong, but it was my first car and I rushed into the decision before properly exploring all my options so I can't help but be curious. Kwokalobster, that repost was extremely helpful and I'm definitely missing the RWD aspect. It's too bad the 3 hatch doesn't come in a 4WD flavour as well. I know the 04-05 RX-8 are the ones to avoid, however at this point I'd take my chances considering how long they've been out and the fact Mazda extended the engine and tranny warranty to 160,000KM. Torque-wise (at least on paper) a 2.0L is comparable for torque albeit a little less. I'm not as concerned with horsepower as I am with good torque. Gas is also not so much an issue for me, but insurance is. The 3 is definitely cheaper on insurance. Thanks for the help folks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 totally different cars and it all depends on what you're looking for.

If it's your only car and you have a family and travel a lot with your car and you need the reliability, then I would say go with the Mazda3. It's peppy and stylish enough that you can still mod to make it look very nice.

If you're single, love a rear wheel sports car that corners like it's on rails and love shifting a buttery smooth transmission with a unique rotory engine that sings all the way up to 9k RPM, then RX8 for sure! I love the 2nd gen look over the 1st gen and the R3 is even better with it's upgraded sport suspension, 19" forged wheels and the Recaro seats are so nice!

The downside of the RX8 IMO:
    No torque
    Need to check engine oil religiously
    Drinks gas like it's free
    Can & will flood if car is not warmed up before shutting down

With that said, I came from a RX8 to a Mazda3 just over 3 years ago and I don't regret it whatsover although I do missed certain things on the RX8. Also, my insurance was actually cheaper on the RX8 too.

If you do decide to trade or add the RX8, go with the R3 or wait as there is constant rumour of a new RX in 2013/2014 with the new 16x rotary.

In the meantime, enjoy your 3!

Current: 2017 Lexus NX200T F-Sport
    Current: 2014 Mazda3 GS Hatch
    Past: 2008 Mazda3 GT Hatch
    Past: 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
    Past: 2002 Toyota Celica GT Panasonic Edition
    Past: 1994 Honda Accord EX-R

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuman View Post
    If you actually did research into the RX-8, you'd know 2004-2005 are years you need to avoid.
    +1
    Current: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2017 Honda CRV Touring
    Past: 2015 Scion FRS 6MT, 2010 M3 E90 6MT, 2013 Scion FRS 6MT, 2005 Mazda 3 GT Hatch.

Ride
    Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made the right choice, rx-8s are slow and consume a large amount of oil and fuel. engine problems too

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Exactly, there beyond junk only nice to look at.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anything.. wait for the next rx-9 that may be coming out. bigger engine, more power = more fun hopefully... not as many problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not get the speed 3 in the first place? It's actually faster in all the tests done that I can find on the internet vs the RX-8. Which is really a bit of a bummer since the RX-8 does have some some great things about it as well.

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i won't get either one, if only the 2.3T is in the RX8, I would take one.....screw the rotary. 75$ a tank to run 300km?
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMP3 View Post
    Personally i won't get either one, if only the 2.3T is in the RX8, I would take one.....screw the rotary. 75$ a tank to run 300km?
    agree! put that turbo in the rx-8 or heck even in the mx5 would be cool to see (if it wasnt such a.. ladies car). tiny car rwd. would be a blast with the 2.3T the next mx5 concepts look decent but i dont know what power plant that will have. only time will tell.

Ride
    C400
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would consider the fact that rx8 has an engine that has thirst problem and yet it doesn't have the appropriate power IMO... The engine is revolutionary but if it has any type of engine problem, you will be screwed big time. I wouldn't even touch a rotary unless it's pretty much close to problem free... For the rear wheel drive aspect, within that price range you get a lot of options to choose from... Less engine problem, better power and better gas efficiency...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I test drove a 2004 RX-8 in October 2009 and it was a driving experience like no other I've had. Incredibly unique car, bliss to drive. The sound of that rotary engine screaming up to 9k haunts me every day. But with gas prices, reliability concerns, practicality (cargo space and winter) I'm not sure I'll ever own one. *sigh*

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit to a certain level of 20B lust myself. I almost took an similar vintage RX-8 for a last minute test spin before closing the deal on my '07 hatch. I keep thinking what might have been, but every time I stop to fill up I think I made the right decision (and don't have to top up fuel and oil). The 3 is wicked fun to drive, so I don't feel like I missed out, but every once in a while I look at the little diecast RX-8 on my desk...

There's something incredible about the idea of a motor that can theoretically produce infinite power as long as you can feed it enough fuel and the physical structure of the engine can hold. *sigh*

<ahem>

Right. Where was I? Right. You made the right decision.
    2008 3 GT Sedan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were in the price range (new) of an RX-8 I'd probably hop on down to BMW and buy a 135i...way more power, more reliable, better built, and still drives/handles like a dream. Of course, for about 10-15k less (than the bmw) you can buy a MS3 which is nearly as fast in a straight line and way more practical which is what I ended up doing. Love my MS3.

Ride
    2013 Mazdapeed3 CWP
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always dreamed of owning an RX-8. Then again, I have read stories of how difficult the rotary engine could be at times. I am not saying that the rotary engine is a failure, I am just basing it on the stories which I have read, the different reviews as well (a few oil consumption quirks here and there). Nonetheless, I still would want one, if and only if I had the excess money to spend in purchasing one.

Now if I only had money for one, I would go for a Mazdaspeed 3. I love my 3-GT, it rocks......I can just imagine what I can do with a Speed 3.

Bone Stock Slow

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timotee View Post
    I have always dreamed of owning an RX-8. Then again, I have read stories of how difficult the rotary engine could be at times. I am not saying that the rotary engine is a failure, I am just basing it on the stories which I have read, the different reviews as well (a few oil consumption quirks here and there). Nonetheless, I still would want one, if and only if I had the excess money to spend in purchasing one.
    +1 I still want one even though it kills gas. It's been my dream car since it came out (before I knew anything about cars) and knowing that this is the last year of production, makes me sad

Black Mica 2005 Mazda 3 GS 5-Speed Fully Loaded
    Mods:23% Tints, Kenstyle Lip Kit, RX8 Rims, Yellow Koni's, Ebiache Sportline, Red CP-E Plate, Fogs, Window Visors, VG Sharkfin, Red Gorilla Lugnuts, PIAA Wipers, Ractive SRI, 6000k HID's, Hawk Brake Pads, Open Mouth Grill, Axela Badge, Red Lighted Door Sills, LED License Plate Lights, LED Dome and Map Lights, Carbon Fiber Mazdaspeed 5spd Shiftknob, TM3 Plates, PINK Angel Eyes (Suppose to be RED.../cry)
    Future Mods:Fix Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, Eyelids

Ride
    2013 Mazdapeed3 CWP
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riftler View Post
    +1 I still want one even though it kills gas. It's been my dream car since it came out (before I knew anything about cars) and knowing that this is the last year of production, makes me sad
    Oh crap! I was not aware of this. Now all the more I would want to own one.

I remember sitting inside one of them 8s while having my car serviced. Sweeeeeeet interior!

To the OP, I guess you know by now on what our preference is.... lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timotee View Post
    Oh crap! I was not aware of this. Now all the more I would want to own one.

I remember sitting inside one of them 8s while having my car serviced. Sweeeeeeet interior!

To the OP, I guess you know by now on what our preference is.... lol
    Ya apparantly next year their bringing the new rx-7 back? called rx-9 i would assume. I havnt followed the rumor/story/updates so i have no idea

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they had stopped producing the RHD model but still producing the LHD model.. where did you hear they are stopping after this model year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast