Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 or RX-8?

At the cost of a new RX-8, I'd likely start looking at the 135i too. But, while I admire the RX-8, I wouldn't own one because rotaries are not mainstream tech and is likely harder/pricier to service, and the fuel consumption would be too high for my taste. To the OP, I would stick with the Mazda 3, it may cost more than the used RX-8, but there isn't really a price on peace of mind.

As a side note, I got my MS3 because I wanted a good combination of practicality, price and power. Mazda knew what they were doing when they made this car a turbo FWD hot hatch... nearly all cars are a compromise, and I think Mazda was primarily targeting price vs overall package instead of all-out performance vs price.

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If I were in the price range (new) of an RX-8 I'd probably hop on down to BMW and buy a 135i...way more power, more reliable, better built, and still drives/handles like a dream. Of course, for about 10-15k less (than the bmw) you can buy a MS3 which is nearly as fast in a straight line and way more practical which is what I ended up doing. Love my MS3.
    What do you mean?
    You know MS3 is a faster car than a RX8. 0-100km/hr: MS3 is about 5.5sec (to 6.1), RX8 is 6.3sec

RX-8 maybe quicker on corners tho
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMP3 View Post
    What do you mean?
    You know MS3 is a faster car than a RX8. 0-100km/hr: MS3 is about 5.5sec (to 6.1), RX8 is 6.3sec

I was talking about the 135i versus the MS3.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean?

Look up the various tests the MS3 is actually faster in the corners as well.

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL....I wouldn't say it is nearly as fast in a straight line when 135i is around 4.7sec and MS3 is about 1 sec slower.

Really? MS3 even faster in corner? Why do they make the RX8 for? except maybe better interior, lower or more like a sport cars from the look............

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RX8 is definetely a nice car, When buying a sports car you never look at the fuel consumption, if you do, than stick with eco cars. It's a blast to drive and RWD is far superior than any FWD Mazda. If the rotary was more reliable like the 13B than the RX8 would be perfect.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL....I wouldn't say it is nearly as fast in a straight line when 135i is around 4.7sec and MS3 is about 1 sec slower.

Really? MS3 even faster in corner? Why do they make the RX8 for? except maybe better interior, lower or more like a sport cars from the look............
    Slalom's faster, it's as fast around the track as well on the C&D lightning lap as the R3 version of the RX-8 (I think this is the only one available new). The regular version is 3 seconds slower. So yeah the RX-8 stock version is a big question mark. However, who buys an RX-8 because it's absolutely faster? There are may other cars in that price range that's better if that's what you want. For me that means the RX-8 doesn't make sense but for some people they like the looks, the quirks of the rotary and the "accessible" nature of the rear seats in a sports car 2 door shape. Mind you in that case of needing practicality doesn't the speed 3 make a tons more sense for less money? Mazda did a cracking job on the speed 3 but I expect the next RX will have more power and it'll be faster again.

Lots of people think FWD and they already have a preconditioned opinion. That's because no one follows euro touring cars around here. Or they'd know the SEAT FWD diesel racers at one point dominated RWD touring cars. Just because it's FWD doesn't have to mean it's slow.
    Last edited by gotak; 05-21-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. that makes the RX8 even more pathetic in my books. being priced $10,000 more than my car it really doesn't offer much. don't know what track/cornering performance difference is, but it's probably minimal at best.

I can't imagine anyone buying this car for anything but looks. cause for the most part, on paper it can't hold it's own with other cars in the same price bracket.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This car isn't about stats on paper. Drive one. If you "get it", you'll think this car is uniquely incredible. But a lot of people don't get it, and I think that's ok. This car speaks to a niche of people, and for those of us to whom it speaks there is nothing like it.
    I love my Speed3 but I still think about that test drive almost every day, especially now that the warm weather is here.. I can't explain how badly I want one. RX8 enthusiasts refer to their cars as "the Addiction". I for one am seriously hooked after just that one drive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have driven one actually. I didn't really like it at all. but it justifies it further when looking at everything on paper too.
    MS3 behaves much better in my opinion.

but i agree. if someone likes it, it's obviously not without reason.
    it's like how i like blue and you may like red. it's personal preference on how you want your car to look and feel when you are behind the wheel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove by a new RX 8 at an intersection yesterday and it looked kinda chunky if anything and knowing its pushing just over 200hp it didn't seem very intimidating. I've driven an RX 7 lots and an RX 8 a few times, fun cars and can see how they are addictive in their niche. Not very reasonable for year round for most people tho. I know a used one was mentioned but for a car that starts at $40,000 for 232 hp stock, hell no! MZ3's are great and don't regret it, MS3's are amazing for what they are and are worth every dollar!

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did attracted by the price on a used RX8 before as well. Like 15s get you a RX8, wow!!!! but after some research, nah....

Gas consumption of a V8, HP of a 6 cylinder and the toque of a 4 banger.........and the worse is reliability.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did attracted by the price on a used RX8 before as well. Like 15s get you a RX8, wow!!!! but after some research, nah....

Gas consumption of a V8, HP of a 6 cylinder and the toque of a 4 banger.........and the worse is reliability.
    Yah. There is a reason why they can't hold their value. You pretty much hit the major points

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sol_searchin View Post
    ^Exactly, there beyond junk only nice to look at.
    you're entitled to your opinion, but i think that's a bit harsh to say about the rx8. the rx8 is probably the best handling car for the price - yes its thirsty but so is any sports car, and most people who have issues with the engine just don't know enough about rotaries or are too lazy to give it the extra care.

either way, everyone is pretty much right here and they are 2 very different cars. bottom line, it doesn't make good sense to sell your new mazda 3 and lose money just to get into an rx8 that is over 5 years old and will for sure cost you money. like booter22 says, maybe just wait for the rx9

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used RX8 is about the same price range of a new Mazda 3 GX, but a RX-9 will probably cost double at 40k range.

Although the same price range, u can't really compare a new compact car vs a 4-5 years old "sports" car. At 15-19k....you also have tons of choice if you buy a used.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless, this is still one of my favourite video. It's an oldie but a goodie. Enjoy.
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/243069/rx_8_vs_350z/

Current: 2017 Lexus NX200T F-Sport
    Current: 2014 Mazda3 GS Hatch
    Past: 2008 Mazda3 GT Hatch
    Past: 2004 Mazda RX-8 GT
    Past: 2002 Toyota Celica GT Panasonic Edition
    Past: 1994 Honda Accord EX-R

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think i've worked on more Mazda RX-8's than you will see in your lifetime, it is not the best handling car for the price at all, a measly S2000 will hand it a beating all day and night and you can find those in the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by binz View Post
    you're entitled to your opinion, but i think that's a bit harsh to say about the rx8. the rx8 is probably the best handling car for the price - yes its thirsty but so is any sports car, and most people who have issues with the engine just don't know enough about rotaries or are too lazy to give it the extra care.

either way, everyone is pretty much right here and they are 2 very different cars. bottom line, it doesn't make good sense to sell your new mazda 3 and lose money just to get into an rx8 that is over 5 years old and will for sure cost you money. like booter22 says, maybe just wait for the rx9

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sol_searchin View Post
    I think i've worked on more Mazda RX-8's than you will see in your lifetime, it is not the best handling car for the price at all, a measly S2000 will hand it a beating all day and night and you can find those in the same price range.
    i'm not going to get into an arguement with you about the rx8's reliability; good for you if you have first-hand experience and too bad its been negative. i happen to own a rotary and its not all the negative things that people generally think, but its also not for everyone. as for the honda s2000, yes it is a very good sports car but so is the rx8 and there's plenty of automotive tests and writes-ups to prove both. the rx8 seats four people and is faster than most 2-seater sports cars, so for the price and what you get it is definitely one of the best-handling cars you can get.

you don't have to agree with me, so let's just agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I agree with you binz.
    And a used RX-8 costs about 60% of a comparable S2000, and if you google "RX-8 best handling" you'll see plenty of support for the 8. I took another one for a test drive on Saturday and it felt like I was just getting sucked through corners by a vacuum. God I want that car.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsaotablem View Post
    For what it's worth, I agree with you binz.
    And a used RX-8 costs about 60% of a comparable S2000, and if you google "RX-8 best handling" you'll see plenty of support for the 8. I took another one for a test drive on Saturday and it felt like I was just getting sucked through corners by a vacuum. God I want that car.
    thanks man

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reread post #31, I have nothing against rotary engines, the rotory in the rx8 is garbage there is nothing to even argue about, ask any mechanic or just go to Mazda yourself and ask a tech. I'm sure there is support for every type of car out there, I've tested many cars, and the RX-8 isn't amazing, the S2000 is within the same class, resale is something that Mazda's don't have, while Honda's do.

*half of my reply is for the guy that posted below you

Quote Originally Posted by binz View Post
    i'm not going to get into an arguement with you about the rx8's reliability; good for you if you have first-hand experience and too bad its been negative. i happen to own a rotary and its not all the negative things that people generally think, but its also not for everyone. as for the honda s2000, yes it is a very good sports car but so is the rx8 and there's plenty of automotive tests and writes-ups to prove both. the rx8 seats four people and is faster than most 2-seater sports cars, so for the price and what you get it is definitely one of the best-handling cars you can get.

you don't have to agree with me, so let's just agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL this is still going on...
    Click to see Her!!!!
    @Mazdy - Instagram
    Official Team IG - @TeamEndlessPossibilities

2013 Mazdaspeed 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda pointless of whats going on here, everyone has there own preference of their vehicle. I mean if you like a car - does it really matter what the guy next door thinks? Its not his, its yours. One may like a "Honda" next may like their RX-8, you can't influence them.

OP, drive both cars, if you find this is the vehicle for you, in your budget and something you can live with....go for it!

If I had I had to pick personally I'd choose the 3, due to the fact its a sedan, and a little easier on gas mileage - If I had the funds I'd probably get both!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always a point! entertainment

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want real entertainment, post your opinion of the Renesis on rx8club.com, sit back and enjoy the show.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast