Thread: Transmission mount

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transmission mount

Just posting this so I others can learn from my experience.

A few months had passed since installing my Cpe rear motor mount and I was getting s slight knock when the car would take off. I figured something was loose so I decided to check all the bolts related to the drivetrain. All was well and everything was tight. The sound went from one knock to a series of knocks, so I decided it was time for a little investigation. I called Ted from Avante and asked him if he ever heard of anything like this before. He advised me to remove the Cpe mount just in case that was causing the issue. I removed the Cpe rear mount and installed the stock one. The noise was gone, Ted was right, the cpe mount had something to do with the noise. While driving with the stock mount i was finqding that i was having a hard time getting into gear, and was grinding shifts every so often. I spoke with Ted about this again and he figured something was up with another motor mount, either the passenger side one or the driverside one. So just to save the tech some time I decided to do a visual inspection on the other two mounts. The passenger side one is easy to see and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I then took my scope cam and used it to peer underneath the tranny mount and sure enough there was a huge tear in the metal. (sorry the scope cam doesn't save pics or I would show you all). The issue was the Cpe mount was causing the knocking because it has far less play then the stock one. The stock mount had too much play and although prevented the knocking it caused the shifter cables to bind. My mount is getting replaced on Monday with the last oem transmission mount in the warehouse, judging by the low stock I would say if you need a transmission mount Look t the aftermarket and order soon before you car gets parked waiting for parts. Thanks again to Ted at Avante for helping me sort through this.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission mount

Sounds like a good reminder to get replacement aftermarket tranny/passenger mounts if your RMM is upgraded. I haven't really looked at the passenger/tranny mounts and compared them to aftermarket stuff, but judging by how shitty the stock RMM is compared to CPE's, I don't expect to be blown away.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the old topic bump, but this is nearly an exact replica of what is happening on my car... I searched before but didn't see this topic.

Basically I was grinding/having trouble getting into gears so I replaced my RMM with a 70 Duro and took the stock one out to find it shredded (despite mazda mechanics claiming it was fine). Since I replaced it, all was well for a month maybe and then I started noticing a knock when taking off. Figured it was just me sucking at driving so I have since ignored it, but since my warranty is running out I decided to put my broken RMM back in to get it replaced (and get everything else inspected at the same time).

Put my broken RMM back in, suddenly no more clunk when taking off!! (but shifts aren't fantastic all the time since it is torn) Got my service apt tomorrow. Taking it to a different dealership and I'm going to tell them to inspect all of the mounts and not tell them which one I know is ripped and see what they find. I would have checked the TMM myself but I didn't know how.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update.
    Mazda did not find my broken mount despite me telling them to check all 3. I told them to remove the RMM and TMM once I got there to pick up the car and show me they were both ok.

BOTH WERE TOTALLY SHREDDED.

/Case closed. Now to try and get a new transmission out of the deal since I drove around with this problem for over a year due to the mechanics doing piss poor visual inspections.

Thank you @CelestSpeed3 for giving me the idea that it might be a broken TMM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TMM is easy to get at, it's right below your battery box. Or look at the corksport guide for the TMM inserts, it's pretty easy to follow.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, well I didn't realize that until I researched it more after I saw this thread. However, it sounds like removing / re-installing is a bit tricky, and probably impossible to do solo.

Either way, dealership is doing it under warranty (only got 2 weeks left) so that is great news.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    Yeah, well I didn't realize that until I researched it more after I saw this thread. However, it sounds like removing / re-installing is a bit tricky, and probably impossible to do solo.

Either way, dealership is doing it under warranty (only got 2 weeks left) so that is great news.
    TMM? Nah, I've had 3 in/out already. I did my TMM inserts myself which involve removing the mount. You just need to support the engine with a jack.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    TMM? Nah, I've had 3 in/out already. I did my TMM inserts myself which involve removing the mount. You just need to support the engine with a jack.
    Well thats exactly what people had said... the first time it was scary and took a long time, and the second time they did it in just a couple minutes...

On a related note, people ALSO say that doing the RMM is extremely easy, but it took me an hour and a half to remove my AWR RMM because of its huge size and tiny clearances... and that was after having installed it before, and I also had help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would upgrading RMM lead to more stress on TMM and PMM, for 2.0 sedan?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thats exactly what people had said... the first time it was scary and took a long time, and the second time they did it in just a couple minutes...

On a related note, people ALSO say that doing the RMM is extremely easy, but it took me an hour and a half to remove my AWR RMM because of its huge size and tiny clearances... and that was after having installed it before, and I also had help.
    I didn't find the TMM difficult even the first time...although I've had my battery box out before which is the hardest part of it all.

RMM you just pull the bracket from the transmission so you have room to work, don't just do the cross bolt and up bolt. Putting it back together you put the up bolt, then the 3 bolts into the transmission and finally the cross bolt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptgrad2012 View Post
    Interesting question. I'd say more vibrations yes, stress, probably less since the other mount is stiffer and doesn't let the engine move as much. I'd say don't worry about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ptgrad2012 View Post
    Interesting question. I'd say more vibrations yes, stress, probably less since the other mount is stiffer and doesn't let the engine move as much. I'd say don't worry about it.
    It does restrict movement so you are right about that, but what this does it cause more vibrations to travel to the other mounts. This does fatigue the mounts over time but this is more or less depending on your driving style. I wouldn't worry about it too much as Cabooze said, but you might notice one of your other mounts are broken/fatigued once you install an upgraded ones because you never felt it before.