Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independent Fog Mod with OEM HIDs??

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Independent Fog Mod with OEM HIDs??

Hey all, so ive been searching for hours now for a simple mod that I know must exist. Its the mod that allows you to turn your fogs on independently when ever you want.
    Ive got a 07 speed3, ive seen the mod where you tap into fuse box under the glovebox but that doesnt work for speed3's since they have oem HID's, or doesnt work for only the 07's.
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=88805.0

Then there is this mod that just doesnt work at all, ive heard of blown fusses, shorted wires, and burn relays.
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=11730.0

Anyone know where I can find a DIY mod for an 07 speed3 that actually works!?!
    Thanks a bunch!

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Been Searching And Cant Find The Right One For Me!

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This method doesn't allow you to turn off the fogs though I think. They would have to be on ALL the time.

This is more like have fogs as DRLs rather than indi fogs.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Fog Mod with OEM HIDs??

Ok I didn't see which links you posted.

This method works with OEM HIDs.

I have used it for 3+ years and haven't ever has a problem. Make sure you use big enough wiring and you won't have any problems.

As promised, this is the second guide that I promised you this week. Lots of people want to have control over their fogs...there has been some people that did this but used a switch that they've put near the driver's steering column. Not a bad idea but I like simple stuff and there's a simpler way to do this mod and just use your existing switch.

Ready? Here we go:

Products needed:
    - 6-8" of 18 AWG wire
    - Different size male and female wire connectors
    - Wire cutter
    - Wire stripper
    - plier or crimper
    - some kind of old coat hanger that you can straighten out (this will serve you to pass some wires from the cabin to the engine bay)
    - Electrical tape

1-Open the fuse box in the engine bay. You should have the following fuse space empty:

2- This is the fog relay....remove it.

3- Here's where the real work begin. You will take that relay an use some of the wire you bought. use the right size female connectors.
    It should look something like this:

4- Put that aside for now. We will use it later.

You need to open your steering wheel column and the dash panel under the steering. Once that is done you will see LOTS of wires. Take the small red/black wire and strip it (remove some of the plastic insulation) a little.

5- Take the long wire you bought, strip one end and connect it to the exposed part of the red/black wire. make sure the connection is good and tape it with electrical tape.

6- Run your wire down to a hole that is in the upper left corner of your pedals' space. Use that straighten coat hanger and pass you wire through that hole. You will end up in the engine compartment near the battery.

7- Now we take back the fog relay and put male connectors at the end of the wires like you see on the picture. Use also the little wire (black in the pic) and connect it to the wire you passed into the engine bay:

8- It should look like this (the connector going in the fuse space goes into only one of the holes...the one towards the front of the car :

9- To be able to enter a male connector in the little empty fuse slot, you will need to cut a it a little:

10- ***Optional*** You can also add a 15A inline fuse for added security.

11- Replace the fuse cover

12- You're done! Enjoy!

Note: When you turn off your car the fogs will stay lit up for 5-15 seconds and then shut down. This is perfectly normal.

For the fogs to light up your key needs to be at least in the ignition position.

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    ^ This method doesn't allow you to turn off the fogs though I think. They would have to be on ALL the time.

This is more like have fogs as DRLs rather than indi fogs.
    AFAIK, they do turn off after 7 seconds when the car is off..read post #144

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    AFAIK, they do turn off after 7 seconds when the car is off..read post #144
    lol, I didn't mean the fogs stay on when the car is off. I meant they stay on all of the time when the car is on. You can't turn them off when the car is running.

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I didn't mean the fogs stay on when the car is off. I meant they stay on all of the time when the car is on. You can't turn them off when the car is running.
    beautiful. thanks a bunch. seems easy enough to.
    and this is will give me full control over the fogs eh, on and off whenever i want them to be?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KING1307 View Post
    beautiful. thanks a bunch. seems easy enough to.
    and this is will give me full control over the fogs eh, on and off whenever i want them to be?
    Yep. This is how I run mine. I can turn them on or off whenever I like. I do find though that sometimes my HIDs won't fire every time if I leave them on during initial start-up. I would suggest turning them off, start the car and then turn them back on. The routine is practically embedded in my mind every time I start the car now.

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. This is how I run mine. I can turn them on or off whenever I like. I do find though that sometimes my HIDs won't fire every time if I leave them on during initial start-up. I would suggest turning them off, start the car and then turn them back on. The routine is practically embedded in my mind every time I start the car now.
    small price to pay for having control over the fogs. im gonna do this tomorrow, a little shaky though as to which wire im stripping in the steering column. im assuming its the wire hes got his finger wrapped around. that and how you initially get into the steering column. oh, and would u perhaps have the size of the connectors needed?
    thanks!

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont worry about answering those, i did the mod today and it works great for me. the whole 7 seconds of fogs staying on after the car turns off is actually really awesome. i like it. and i dont seem to have any issues with my xenon firing up if i have the fog lights turned on while i turn the car on. thanks a lot though for the find, i appreciate it!

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I didn't see which links you posted.

This method works with OEM HIDs.

I have used it for 3+ years and haven't ever has a problem. Make sure you use big enough wiring and you won't have any problems.
    it works, but it looks ghetto
    a rat's nest of wires is something you DON'T want anywhere as that's a fire hazard!

THIS works better:
    http://protegefaq.net/BKfogmod/
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    a rat's nest of wires is something you DON'T want anywhere as that's a fire hazard!

THIS works better:
    not sure that'll actual work. its different with the 3's that have oem hid. people who have them have tried the mod for the 3's and have had issues

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS works better:
    This method is ok but the other way works perfectly fine. I would rather use the firewall/wire method rather then hack apart the computer wires and take a chance of really screwing something up. Plus it's easily reversible.

As for a fire hazard and rats nest...

If you use large enough wiring you won't have any problems with melting, etc. If you trim the wires short enough it isn't that messy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad people have had success with this, as this was on my to do list
    2009 mazdaspeed3
    CorkSport SRI/TIP... CP E motor mount... CorkSport interior LED kit... Prosport Boost Gauge... cp-e towplate... shifter bushings... 23% tints

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KING1307 View Post
    not sure that'll actual work. its different with the 3's that have oem hid. people who have them have tried the mod for the 3's and have had issues
    people who tried and failed are the ones who have trouble following instructions
    my car has OEM HIDs and it works fine. There are very little wiring differences between the 04-06 and the 07-09s for the headlight circuit. Those are notated in the how-to and the results are just the same
    if you have read even the beginning of that how-to, you will see it mentioned that it works with all the 3s, OEM HIDs or not
    Last edited by TheMAN; 06-11-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This method is ok but the other way works perfectly fine. I would rather use the firewall/wire method rather then hack apart the computer wires and take a chance of really screwing something up. Plus it's easily reversible.

As for a fire hazard and rats nest...

If you use large enough wiring you won't have any problems with melting, etc. If you trim the wires short enough it isn't that messy.
    wiring thickness alone is not the only thing to electrical safety. Mechanical strength and physical protections are also very important. Those pics shown in the how-to do not show good electrical safety practise. There are inadequate physical protections and are improperly secured. With that modification method, it is difficult to do so without a lot of effort.

the only thing you do with the PJB rewiring method is bypassing the fog light control from the PJB and connect the switch directly to the fog light relay. There's little risk to this and you're not adding a rats nest of wires that can pose a fire hazard. The PJB way is also the closest you can go to making the car look factory JDM or EDM without being obvious you modified the car.

Regardless of which way you do it, if you're stupid and don't follow instructions, you can easily fry something or set the car on fire!

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wiring thickness alone is not the only thing to electrical safety. Mechanical strength and physical protections are also very important. Those pics shown in the how-to do not show good electrical safety practise. There are inadequate physical protections and are improperly secured. With that modification method, it is difficult to do so without a lot of effort.

the only thing you do with the PJB rewiring method is bypassing the fog light control from the PJB and connect the switch directly to the fog light relay. There's little risk to this and you're not adding a rats nest of wires that can pose a fire hazard. The PJB way is also the closest you can go to making the car look factory JDM or EDM without being obvious you modified the car.

Regardless of which way you do it, if you're stupid and don't follow instructions, you can easily fry something or set the car on fire!
    Fair enough. A sloppy job could definitely cause problems. Good advice either way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait hold on. So the glove box wire splicing actually works on the speed w/oem hids? I used this mod on my old 3 and it worked great, but everywhere I read said that it DIDNT work with OEM HIDs.
    Right now I just have the jumper mod that turns the fogs on all the time, and leaves them on for a bit after you turn off the car. Very reversible and only took 30 seconds to do, but it would be nice to have control again... (without ripping apart the steering column)
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the "at the PJB" method, the type of headlight you have is pretty much irrelevant. All it is really doing is preventing the computer from being able to turn the fogs off when it doesn't like a particular headlight mode. And what is really nice is that when your lights are set to off, the fogs are off as well, and when they are on (any mode: "Parking", "Low Beam", or "High Beam") the fog light switch controls the fogs lights.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    Wait hold on. So the glove box wire splicing actually works on the speed w/oem hids? I used this mod on my old 3 and it worked great, but everywhere I read said that it DIDNT work with OEM HIDs.
    Right now I just have the jumper mod that turns the fogs on all the time, and leaves them on for a bit after you turn off the car. Very reversible and only took 30 seconds to do, but it would be nice to have control again... (without ripping apart the steering column)
    its really not that complicated, took me about 20 mins to get this whole thing done, and it was a pretty good job two. Even threw that optional fuse in their and its fits beautifully under the fuse box cover under the hood. definitely worth doing. im sure either way works fine, its just i ffound the first one posted a tad quicker, easier to follow and i had a few people tell me it works for sure with oem hids. give it a shot

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, well if I get a nice day and an empty garage in the near future maybe i'll give that pjb method a shot

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have mine set so not even the parking lights are on... absolutely nothing but fogs...but thats cuz i bought a fog kit from nextmod which has its own button next to the illumination brightness dial near the steering wheel and then i just disabled my drl(high beam 2007).. the result just fog
    2007 Mazda 3 Sedan 2.0L AT
    NEXTMOD IS MY SUPPLIER

Ride
    Jeep TJ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jova87 View Post
    i have mine set so not even the parking lights are on... absolutely nothing but fogs...but thats cuz i bought a fog kit from nextmod which has its own button next to the illumination brightness dial near the steering wheel and then i just disabled my drl(high beam 2007).. the result just fog
    that sounds pretty sweet, sure it looks pretty good too. not sure if i can do that though without doing some serious work.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sure someone else has thought of this before but. if i wanted to make my DRLs my fogs. and have the HIDs turn on only at night.

could it be possible to get a wire harness that goes from H7 to H11 - for the fogs

then for the DRLs (controlled by fog switch) H11 - whatever that HID plug is? (what is that plug name?)

does this exist somewhere? it it even possible? are they both fed the same amount of power?

to sum it up, basically the H7 plug for the stock low beams would be wired down to where the fogs are, and the plug for the (stock) fogs would be ran up to the lowbeam HID harness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast