Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Steering Wheel Shakes

Hi,

I just bought a used 2007 Mazda 3 Hatchback this March and I recently noticed that when driving between 100-119 KM/H the steering wheel shakes like crazy... below 100 and over 120, everything is smooth. It's been really irritating lately and I plan to go get it checked asap.

Just wondering if anyone has experinced this problem or know what might be the cause of this. I want to have an idea first before being played.

P.S. I had a crapbox before my Mazda and the problem was due to the rear right tire that vibrated and felt like it was going to blow up. My tires are in superb condition and its just the steering wheel in my opinion.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Steering Wheel Shakes

Your rims and tires need to be rebalanced.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1, or uneven wear can also cause this, but aris is most likely right about the balancing issue

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys! Hope to hear the same thing from the dealer...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're gonna get charged more at the dealer for something that any mechanic can do. it's not necessary to take it to the dealer for this issue

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does it vibrate while you're driving at that speed. or (only) when you touch the brakes?

if brakes: its likely a warped rotor

if not brakes: likely tire balancing

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon merging onto the highway and driving between those speeds. It disappears once I reach 120 km

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most likely tire needs balancing... mine was shaking badly.. after i got new tires n balance.. SMOOTH!
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire balancing for sure!!!
    2008 Mazda 3 GT Sport----SOLD
    2011 Mitsubishi Outlander V6-----Gone bye bye (SUCKED)
    2008 Hyundai Sonata
    2012 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what they said, wheel & tire balancing... also once you get your wheels balanced, get them to check if there's any warps on your rims.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a similar issue with my 2006. Steering wheel vibrations at higher speeds are due to unbalanced wheels but I would expect that to happen anywhere from 80kph+. For bent/warped rims it should happen at much lower speeds. Warped rotors should cause vibrations in the steering wheel only during braking from high speeds. Its a little strange that mine only happens between 100kph to 120kph and more when going at almost constant speed of 115kph. The vibrations I'm experiencing are not crazy but enough to catch my attention. I'll get my wheels balanced when I get a chance. Let us know what the dealer says.
    *2006 Mazda 3 GT*
    Eibach || SPC || Falken || ADR fin7 || Sirius || Solar Gard || DDM Tuning || Hella || Visual Garage || The Speedline

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was driving to the theatres today and I was close to Canadian Tire so I said might as well see how much it is. Went in, got them checked and balanced and the steering wheel shake is gone! Finally . However, I noticed that the shake went from the steering wheel to the body afterwards where I can feel it shake lightly when I rest my leg against the right side (whatever this is called below the radio/AC dials). It's not something big but if you love your car, you want it to run in perfect condition.

Hope this is not an issue but I will follow up on it. Still learning about cars so excuse my inexperience

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaYson View Post
    if brakes: its likely a warped rotor
    My wheel shakes when I brake on off ramps. Now I know why. Just a few questions:

1. Is this serious and should I get it replaced ASAP or can I keep the ones I have for now until I have the spending money to get new ones? I rather be safe then get into an accident which in the end will cost me in even more.

2. These vibrations from braking at high speeds has been happening to me since I got the car, is it a sign where the person who owned the car before abused the car or is it normal wear or could the car have been in an accident? (my car didn't come with a car fax report but its been running well performance wise/maintenance wise.)
    2006 MZ3 Sport GT - Black Mica - 5 Spd MT
    Borla CBE, Takeda SRI, Speedline 3pc Splitter, 17" Enkei Ammodo Rims, Black Brake Calipers, RallyArmor Mudflaps, LED Side Markers, Stubby, AE-Style Grill, Pro-Kits Lowering Springs, Tinted Windows.
    Looking for cheap Black Mica MS3 Spoiler.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
    My wheel shakes when I brake on off ramps. Now I know why. Just a few questions:

1. Is this serious and should I get it replaced ASAP or can I keep the ones I have for now until I have the spending money to get new ones? I rather be safe then get into an accident which in the end will cost me in even more.

2. These vibrations from braking at high speeds has been happening to me since I got the car, is it a sign where the person who owned the car before abused the car or is it normal wear or could the car have been in an accident? (my car didn't come with a car fax report but its been running well performance wise/maintenance wise.)
    1. not serious enough for you to have to change your rotors instantly.

2. No it is not necessarily a sign of abuse. it happens to a lot of people who don't abuse their car. there may be a few causes but yes one may be the previous driver brakes late and brakes hard all the time. My OEMs were warped from just hwy driving to and from school (probably becuase of the sudden braking on the hwys). Didn't change them until a whole year later when my brake pads were done too.
    2007 Mazda 3 Sport GT - Crystal White Pearl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like just a touch of vibration in the steering wheel. This helps to let you know when your on black ice in the winter cuz the vibration disappears. Just a ramdom thought
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xxSlidewaysxx View Post
    I personally like just a touch of vibration in the steering wheel. This helps to let you know when your on black ice in the winter cuz the vibration disappears. Just a ramdom thought
    Every vehicle will have a VERY slight vibration in the steering wheel, that can't be helped, BUT if you have anymore then that or an unusual amount of vibration, it would be caused by a suspension and/or a tire/wheel problem.Driving with such a problem continually is not a good idea, as this vibration can and will cause premature wear on alot of other suspension components....So moral of the story is; If you have a vibration have it looked at asap.

_3