Thread: Side Skirt installation

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Side Skirt installation

Hey,

Picked up my skirts from Joe at MoT this afternoon; Been wanting these since I got the car pretty much. The instructions require 11 holes per side to be drilled to mount each skirt, and I really don't wanna drill my car, cause I would be so pissed if I messed up. So now i have a question for all of you DIY'ers out there.

Do I,
    1.Drill the car using the templates provided, and hope for the best
    2.Take off the 11 clips, and put a 1'' x 1'' strong 3M double sided tape in place of them, and then use the two screws in the wheel well that are provided.
    3.Pay someone to do it...

Anyone have any other suggestions how to mount these without drilling?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Side Skirt installation

When I bought my side skirts I had the dealer install them... They quoted me $85 to install them so I jumped on it... They screwed and new side skirts were ordered and my car went to the body shop to get repaired from dealer screw up and the body shop installed the news ones.

Do your self a favor an take it to a body shop... Shouldn't be more then a couple hundred dollars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i got mine done at volyocity or something i got the number from peter at nextmod 80 cash
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Carbon Grey

Mods to date: 8000K HID, 3000K HID Fogs with smoked tint, Angel Eyes, Eye Lids, Smoked LED 3rd Break Light, Led Interior Lighting, Open Mouth Grill, Front Lip, Rear Flares, OEM Side Skirts, Custom Black Emblems, TM3 License Plate Covers & Rear TM3 Stickers, 2-way Viper Alarm, 23% Tinted Windows, Black Reflectors, 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, Eibach Pro Kits, Smoked Side Marker, Tinted Rear Tails, VG shark fin, Hella Horns, 18" Tenzo Type M Version 1 Black wrapped with 225/40/18 Nankang NSII, RHO Plate, Magnaflow CBE

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it'll easily fall off if you tape it on

do yourself a favour and make a copy of the template before you or anyone starts work! a replacement template is hard to get and if that gets ripped up or destroyed, it'll be hard to drill the holes
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY and drill it.
    Remember to Spray some Rustoleum on the drill holes.

even used clear nail polish on the bare metal, then Rustoleum when we used to install sidemarkers, spoilers, etc.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta recommend #3. Go to SP. I watched them put on side skirts (and lip) on a members car and they did a great job.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Hey,

Picked up my skirts from Joe at MoT this afternoon; Been wanting these since I got the car pretty much. The instructions require 11 holes per side to be drilled to mount each skirt, and I really don't wanna drill my car, cause I would be so pissed if I messed up. So now i have a question for all of you DIY'ers out there.

Do I,
    1.Drill the car using the templates provided, and hope for the best
    2.Take off the 11 clips, and put a 1'' x 1'' strong 3M double sided tape in place of them, and then use the two screws in the wheel well that are provided.
    3.Pay someone to do it...

Anyone have any other suggestions how to mount these without drilling?
    go to richard at sp and he will glue it on (very fast drying and strong). no drilling=no holes=no rust. the fit for me was perfect (got oem skirts from joe as well).

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zzz3 View Post
    go to richard at sp and he will glue it on (very fast drying and strong). no drilling=no holes=no rust. the fit for me was perfect (got oem skirts from joe as well).
    Glue? This already sounds like a half-assed way of installing them. If this is how Richard does it I would definitely NOT go to him for the install.

Do it right or don't do it! If you do it right there won't be any rust. You will regret cheaping out on this in the long run, especially if one falls of on the 401.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the glue is industrial strength. i take his word that it isn't going anywhere and i believe him (i check it every once in a while). it is also attached in the front and rear wheel well's as an extra precaution.

if anything were to happen i am sure he would look after it (have all the paper work from sp).

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Glue? This already sounds like a half-assed way of installing them. If this is how Richard does it I would definitely NOT go to him for the install.

Do it right or don't do it! If you do it right there won't be any rust. You will regret cheaping out on this in the long run, especially if one falls of on the 401.
    +1

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his side skirt during the winter

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember now. SP didn't install the side skirts when I was there, but they installed the lip and side part of a GV kit (or Mz) on another member's car. The used the 3M double sided tape and drilled in the GV lip and side part which goes under the side skirt.
    I think they should drill to make the side skirt more secure imho. I guess they would if you ask them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i asked them about drilling. Richard said the glue is the best method, even after i made it clear that cost is not an issue.

time will tell...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay well the installation is done, did it on Thursday afternoon in about 2 hours. It's actually easier then it sounds, and am very please with the results.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post

Perhaps. Eurathane? Doubt mechanic will use glue!
    Photographer for Street Concepts online magazine
    Kaption Audio show team
    The Lowerclass

Thanks
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glue is only as strong as what it's attached to. In this case it is paint.

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -RJ3- View Post
    Perhaps. Eurathane? Doubt mechanic will use glue!
    Yup it's urethane and it's really strong. My bumper is currently urethaned on the right side because of some damage. Still wouldn't do this for side skirts though, one bump and they're gone.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is my recourse at this point? I have to live with it and take Richard's word for it.

I could go back and tell him what you all told me, then what? "Hey your right, i'll reinstall them free of charge using screws (drilling)". Some how i don't think the conversation will turn out like that...

I know it wasn't "ordinary glue", i was using the term in lieu to describe whatever "liquid adhesive" he used. I am guessing it was urethane as well..

knock on wood going forward i guess .

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is my recourse at this point? I have to live with it and take Richard's word for it.

I could go back and tell him what you all told me, then what? "Hey your right, i'll reinstall them free of charge using screws (drilling)". Some how i don't think the conversation will turn out like that...

I know it wasn't "ordinary glue", i was using the term in lieu to describe whatever "liquid adhesive" he used. I am guessing it was urethane as well..

Well it's too late now. You went with the glue and will have to just go with it. Hopefully it holds. If you did want screws he would definitely charge you. If he didn't that would just be dumb on his part.

If you wanted screws you should have just put your foot down from the beginning and told him you wanted screws put in. You paid for the install, it is ultimately up to you.

No I'm sure it is something strong like urethane, etc. Maybe I just question the method since I always seem to over do things.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't put my foot down because i asked for his opinion and reasons as to which solution is better and why. "Glue" was unequivocally suggested to me, without any hesitation or doubt on his part. Im not going to blame myself or others since at the end it was my decision; regardless whats done is done.

I believe, or hope at the very least, that it was the right decision since i have no regrets (not loosing any sleep over it).

I hope this helps anyone else at similar crossroads...
    Last edited by zzz3; 07-06-2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: grammar

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't put my foot down because i asked for his opinion and reasons as to which solution is better and why. "Glue" was unequivocally suggested to me, without and hesitation or doubt on his part. Im not going to blame myself or others since at the end it was my decision; regardless whats done is done.

I believe, or hope at the very least, that it was the right decision since i have no regrets (not loosing any sleep over it).

I hope this helps anyone else at similar crossroads...

I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Okay well the installation is done, did it on Thursday afternoon in about 2 hours. It's actually easier then it sounds, and am very please with the results.
    upload some pics so we can seeeee lol

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing is, OEM side skirts don't use any screws... aftermarket garbage does and that is what rusts and cause all sorts of fitment problems
    I understand his reservations against drilling, but OEM side skirts uses the plastic clips which don't have nearly as much problems as the aftermarket crap

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not go to SP for anymore body work for the following reasons:
    1. They broke my GV lip when everyone else installed it perfectly fine
    2. I provided them with urethane glue to put on my side skirts but they just threw it away
    3. The sideskirt installation was not flush, it was a little higher than it should be, which then caused it to scrape my doors
    4. Double side tape started to fall off after 2 weeks, brought it back and they just added a screw in the rear wheel well to hold it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick pic from tonight when I got back from the cottage. Shark fin is on as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    the thing is, OEM side skirts don't use any screws... aftermarket garbage does and that is what rusts and cause all sorts of fitment problems
    I understand his reservations against drilling, but OEM side skirts uses the plastic clips which don't have nearly as much problems as the aftermarket crap
    im pretty sure 2010+ oem side skirts use clips and screws. i will try to upload the instructions when i get a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast