Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Sport GX- Review (8.5k and ongoing)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2011 Sport GX- Review (8.5k and ongoing)

Hi Everyone,

Back in April we purchased our car (thread).

Now after 4 months, I figured I would do a review. I'll probably make this an ongoing thread, detailing my on going thoughts of the MZ3.

Overall our Mazda has been excellent, there really isn't anything overwhelmingly bad about it. It was our first vehicle that we have owned, and it really has impressed. The handling is great, it gets pretty decent gas mileage (despite other's complaints) and is just a joy to ride in. The freedom it has given us is just awesome.

Pros:

Looks- We have received much admiration for our car, loving the colour (GunMetal Blue) and the styling. Even my brother, who hated the 2010 look, loved our car once test driving it.

Space- We had debated to get the sedan version but I am glad we got the hatchback. The ample space means we don't have to worry about running out of room. It also means the car is super versatile and is relatively cheap on gas.

Handling/Pickup- Even though we only have the 2.0, it provides plenty of pick up. The car is fun to zoom around town in, but also great on the highway.

Cons-

The only con I can see so far is that we have already got a stone chip, but we assume it was from travelling the 401, and any flying rock will cause damage to paint.

Conclusion- The MZ3 after 8,500KM and it's first check up is a great car. We decided that waiting for the SkyActiv was too long. We also figured it wasn't wise to buy a new engine in it's first production year.

I recommend the car and our salesman (Jeff) to anyone we talk to, and even the base model is great.

Stay tuned for updates while we continue to drive this great machine.

Ride
    2013 Mazdapeed3 CWP
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2011 Sport GX- Review (8.5k and ongoing)

Nice review stew5 and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love my 3 as well and my only complaint is.......yep, the paint that easily chips.

Bone Stock Slow

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good choice in colour
    2010 Gunmetal Blue GS Sedan
    Current Setup:
    -- 17" Enkei FD-05 -- Falken 215/45/17 -- Black Calipers -- Eibach Prokits -- MZ3 Aluminum Pedals -- 8000k HIDs -- Tints 35% front 15% rear --
    -- Rainguards -- TM3 Plate Covers -- Corksport SRI -- Corksport LED Kit -- Rockford Fosgate T400-2 Amp and P2 Sub --

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on crappy mazda paint.
    also a note about gas mileage, i think it's only the speed guys who really complain about it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am a new owner of the 2011 Mazda 3 GS Sport in, wait for it ... gunmetal blue. Awesome colour and it truly is an awesome car. Agree with everything you said but I haven't reached my first check-up yet. :-)
    2011 Mazda 3 Sport GS 2.5 L
    Gunmetal Blue with leather interior | 35% Tint | VG Shark Fin | Rally Armor | Window Visors | Mazda Aluminum Pedals | TM3 Brake Light (GTA Decal) | Smoked Reflectors | LED Reverse Lights | Painted Engine Covers | LED Hatch Lights | LED Interior Lights, LED Cupholders | 7'' Audio/GPS | Pioneer Speakers | CF Vinyl Wrap Interior Trim | WeatherTech front and rear | TM3 Plate Covers | Aluminum HVAC Knobs |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be curious to hear your comments after we are back into the fall and colder weather to see if Mazda finally fixed the cowl and interior rattles. Keep up posted. Enjoy the new wheels!

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Ride
    2006 Mazda 3 GT Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    I will be curious to hear your comments after we are back into the fall and colder weather to see if Mazda finally fixed the cowl and interior rattles. Keep up posted. Enjoy the new wheels!
    +1 Please keep us updated on the ongoing review when the colder weather hits...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now at 16.5k Kms and everything I posted in the first review still applies. The car is still great to drive, and still feels brand new.

To answer the questions, we haven't heard any rattles yet anywhere. The weather has been cool a few mornings (-2 or so last week) but we didn't hear anything. Fingers crossed that this issue was fixed!

Last week we put our winters on, we ended up getting 16'' Gislaved NordFrost 5s. They seem pretty good so far, and we'll see once the snow and really cold temperatures hit.

The parts manager at Bay Mazda is really great, I bugged her into getting quotes for various different tires, and she was always nice and friendly. The service dept. isn't quite as friendly but nowhere near the parts dept.

Conclusion: We still love the Mazda 3 Sport GX, there haven't been any issues yet *crosses fingers*

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some photos too:

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it appears that we may have our first problem with the car. Over the last few days it seems as though our "aux" button has stopped working. With or without an mp3 player plugged in, the button won't switch the radio to "aux" mode, it just does nothing.
    Example: FM is playing, press the aux button, and it stays on FM.

Very odd.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Just use the warranty and get it fixed, shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good choice in snow tire! I'm running same rubber and handles great. Be sure to keep them inflated well.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stew5 View Post
    So it appears that we may have our first problem with the car. Over the last few days it seems as though our "aux" button has stopped working. With or without an mp3 player plugged in, the button won't switch the radio to "aux" mode, it just does nothing.
    Example: FM is playing, press the aux button, and it stays on FM.

Very odd.
    The aux button isn't supposed to do anything until you have somehting plugged int he aux jack in the armrest

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gomac View Post
    The aux button isn't supposed to do anything until you have somehting plugged int he aux jack in the armrest
    And the something has to be turned on.
    Damn you photobucket.....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The review continues at 24,000 a few months shy of our 1 year anniversary. The car is still driving great and there is really nothing to complain about.

Even in the few really cold days we have had I notice very little interior or exterior noise when starting from cold. This car laughs at -20 weather (it’s that front grin!)

The only minor quibble I have with the car is the passengers/drivers handle on the arm rest. I only notice it when I am not driving, but the materials are just so much worse in this handle compared to the rest of the car. Minor quibble, but I see they actually fixed this in the new 2012 SkyActiv I saw at the international auto show.

As for the Aux issue, that was due to not having music playing so not even an issue.

Driving my family around this weekend and the people around 5’ seem to have visibility issues. They weren’t nerely as impressed with the car as I am. Also, the back seat people complained about the heating. Not sure about that one as I never sit in the back.

Took it in for the 24k service and definitely noticed that the brakes were not squealing and were more responsive.

Everything is great and I always recommend Jeff and Mazda to anyone I come across; especially now that the Skyactiv 3 has some great MPG numbers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The review continues at 24,000 a few months shy of our 1 year anniversary. The car is still driving great and there is really nothing to complain about.

Even in the few really cold days we have had I notice very little interior or exterior noise when starting from cold. This car laughs at -20 weather (it’s that front grin!)

The only minor quibble I have with the car is the passengers/drivers handle on the arm rest. I only notice it when I am not driving, but the materials are just so much worse in this handle compared to the rest of the car. Minor quibble, but I see they actually fixed this in the new 2012 SkyActiv I saw at the international auto show.

As for the Aux issue, that was due to not having music playing so not even an issue.

Driving my family around this weekend and the people around 5’ seem to have visibility issues. They weren’t nerely as impressed with the car as I am. Also, the back seat people complained about the heating. Not sure about that one as I never sit in the back.

Took it in for the 24k service and definitely noticed that the brakes were not squealing and were more responsive.

Everything is great and I always recommend Jeff and Mazda to anyone I come across; especially now that the Skyactiv 3 has some great MPG numbers.
    +++++11111 /\ /\ /\

Decided it was time to run my new 2012 3 GS Skyactiv down to almost empty (one hash mark left, no nerve left to go any lower), then filled up....ready for this?.....814 kms ! ! ! For a freakin mid size car that has a bit o guts? I'd say that's pretty fuggin good I'll say...just went over 2000kms tonite. For the rec, I do combo city/highway driving with average/spirited driving. Fair combo to give a fair estimate. My iphone app "roadtrip" calculated my fuel economy to be 15km/L yyyyup....ahhhmm LUVIN IT
    2012 Mz3 GS SkyActiv CWP Mods; DDM 50w 6k lows / Headlights tinted with Lamin-X 6% overlay / DRL Nokya Hyper Yellows / Foglights; Morimoto 35w 3K's with Lamin-X yellow overlay / Dealer tinted sides n rear / KiCkER kx 600.4 4ch amp / Alpine Type "R" comps front / Alpine SPR-68's rear / License plate LED's / Interior LED's /***MY ICE UPGRADE***http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Zoomahh's 2012-SkyActiv-ice-upgrade*** /Detail Day July 2013 http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...il-Day-!-!-!-D
    2011 Mz2 GX CWP (wifey's car) / led interiors only

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would edit my previous post but no edit privs yet...but in ref to my 2000kms remark....that's my current total odometer reading....not fuel economy..jus making sure noone thought otherwise

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zoomahh View Post
    +++++11111 /\ /\ /\

Decided it was time to run my new 2012 3 GS Skyactiv down to almost empty (one hash mark left, no nerve left to go any lower), then filled up....ready for this?.....814 kms ! ! ! For a freakin mid size car that has a bit o guts? I'd say that's pretty fuggin good I'll say...just went over 2000kms tonite. For the rec, I do combo city/highway driving with average/spirited driving. Fair combo to give a fair estimate. My iphone app "roadtrip" calculated my fuel economy to be 15km/L yyyyup....ahhhmm LUVIN IT

That is pretty impressive! With our snow tires on, and mainly city driving, we usually get around 8-9L/100Kms with it dropping lower on the highway. Still not too bad compared to larger cars and trucks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dam wish I had the time wait for the skyactiv when I had to buy a car. I got the 2012 GX Hatch as that's what they had in the lot as I needed a car right away, and I'm only getting @500km when I get to the last bar on the gas level. Oh well maybe in a couple of years I'll have to upgrade to something better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cbrual View Post
    Dam wish I had the time wait for the skyactiv when I had to buy a car. I got the 2012 GX Hatch as that's what they had in the lot as I needed a car right away, and I'm only getting @500km when I get to the last bar on the gas level. Oh well maybe in a couple of years I'll have to upgrade to something better.
    it will get a lot better once your engine breaks-in. should be able to get 700km to a tank with winter gas depending on your driving habits.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++++11111 /\ /\ /\

Must be nice. I get about 400 to a tank.
    Enkei Wheels,R40 lug nuts, ISC N1 coilovers, Corksport short shifter, CS Rear sway bar
    Ebay front strut bar, Custom magnaflow axleback w/ 4" tips, Style M front lip

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++++11111 /\ /\ /\

I have gone below the last line, then about 80km. I put 58L in after that.

Since my first oil change (at 2000km) my biggest tank was 726 km. I do about 50% city driving and get on it now and again. It does get great gas mileage. My best l/100km was 6.6, worst was 10.7. I current;y have about 3600km (since feb 2nd )

If you want to keep track of it, check out fuelly.com. This is a breakdown of my cars fuel consumption, http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kesslysnipes/3-gs-skyactiv
    Last edited by Kessly Snipes; 03-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure city driving in my 2011 I get about 305kms to the last dot on the gas tank. Much less than highway which is about 400-500km with winter gas and snow tires. Although you rack up the KMs much slower in the city so the tank lasts longer!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure city driving in my 2011 I get about 305kms to the last dot on the gas tank. Much less than highway which is about 400-500km with winter gas and snow tires. Although you rack up the KMs much slower in the city so the tank lasts longer!
    what? 305 is a bit TOO low...
    I get at least 220+km for half a tank on pure city driving...
    and that is with Esso 87 octane and winter tires
    Yokohama ADVAN RS / Corksport SRI / Rally Armor / MS3 Spoiler / Eibach Pro-Kits / Some random strut bar / Ebay LED interior lights
    2010 Mazda3 GX CWP Hatch / 2016 Mazda6 GS-L JBM

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast