Thread: rough idling and rough manual shifting on my 2011 GX: normal?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default rough idling and rough manual shifting on my 2011 GX: normal?

Hi, all. I'm experiencing rough idling on ignition and rough manual shifting -- especially from gears 2 down to 1 -- on my new 2011 GX with less than 150 km on it. Is this expected behaviour from a new non-broken-in M3?

The rough idling is surprising because the external temperature is around 20 C and there's not much humidity or opportunity for condensation inside fuel lines, etc. I've not experienced anything like this on a brand new car before, like my 09 Corolla.

The rough shifting (in Sport mode) may just be because I'm a moron and don't know how to shift properly, but the transitions between gears are frequently not smooth. Sometimes the gearshift takes a long time to complete. Sometimes the transmission goes clunk. I'm experimenting with RPMs and throttling on gearshifts, but I've not found a formula, especially for downshifting, that works.

I'd be grateful for anybody's comments on these.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: rough idling and rough manual shifting on my 2011 GX: normal?

My car has never idled perfectly. but its not that noticeable. stays at 650 for a few seconds then goes back to 750 for a while. When are you shifting from gear 2 to one? if your trying to put your car into gear 1 while your still going a considerable speed, it should be difficult, also a good way to wear on the transmission over time. not too sure about the shiftronic stuff so someone else will have to fill in on that. just go easy on the car until 1000kms and change the oil. shifting should get smoother and less heat and wear on the engine.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shifting from 2nd to 1st while car is moving wont be smooth.. thats why I dont put it in 1st.. only when i come to a complete stop
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sport mode = tiptronic.

do you have the 4spd auto or did they up it to the 5spd auto for the 2011?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter what transmission you have shifting from 2nd to 1st is something you can only do at a crawl with these cars. 1st gear is very short and doesn't have much power to begin with, it's not like we have 200lb/ft torque and powerful 1st and 2nd gears. I only have a tiptronic and when I use that only down shift into 2nd, and let the car put itself into first gear when it comes to a complete stop. With an automatic in "drive," your car will also behave in the same way and only shift into first when coming to a complete stop. Even the car knows when you are doing 5km/h that first gear isn't worth using for power...LOL
    2010 Gunmetal Blue GS Sedan
    Current Setup:
    -- 17" Enkei FD-05 -- Falken 215/45/17 -- Black Calipers -- Eibach Prokits -- MZ3 Aluminum Pedals -- 8000k HIDs -- Tints 35% front 15% rear --
    -- Rainguards -- TM3 Plate Covers -- Corksport SRI -- Corksport LED Kit -- Rockford Fosgate T400-2 Amp and P2 Sub --

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluemazda3 View Post
    shifting from 2nd to 1st while car is moving wont be smooth.. thats why I dont put it in 1st.. only when i come to a complete stop
    you can make it smooth you just have to match the revs perfectly.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed 'rough idle' in my 2010 GX 5MT when I just bought it as well. After turning on the car after sitting over night (underground garage), it would idle over 1200 rpm for about 10-15 secs and then slow and smooth down thereafter.

I am now at about 25,000km and using synthetic oil (engine and manual gearbox) and I can say the initial rough idle has gone and mileage is sweet!

Just give it some time for the car to break in and then switch over to synthetic after the first couple of regular oil changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drey2011 View Post
    Hi, all. I'm experiencing rough idling on ignition and rough manual shifting -- especially from gears 2 down to 1 -- on my new 2011 GX with less than 150 km on it. Is this expected behaviour from a new non-broken-in M3?

The rough idling is surprising because the external temperature is around 20 C and there's not much humidity or opportunity for condensation inside fuel lines, etc. I've not experienced anything like this on a brand new car before, like my 09 Corolla.

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    I noticed 'rough idle' in my 2010 GX 5MT when I just bought it as well. After turning on the car after sitting over night (underground garage), it would idle over 1200 rpm for about 10-15 secs and then slow and smooth down thereafter.

I am now at about 25,000km and using synthetic oil (engine and manual gearbox) and I can say the initial rough idle has gone and mileage is sweet!

Just give it some time for the car to break in and then switch over to synthetic after the first couple of regular oil changes.
    you are describing the warm up, that is supposed to happen after long periods of time when it sits. if it doesnt something is wrong.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

On switching to first gear, I have indeed been doing it while I've been at, say, 20 km/h. The 2011 does indeed have five speeds and, yeah, that first gear does very little.

Thanks for the insight into rough idling when the car is cold. Good to know I should expect it to disappear once the car is properly broken in.

I still do find the behaviour of gear transitions to be odd. Even when I've got the car in D mode I experience this. Perhaps the automatic transmission is tuned for the behaviour of a broken-in engine and what I'm experiencing will vanish.

In any case, Mazda shouldn't claim that the car has no break-in period. That's clearly not the case!

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fairly certain that the 5-speed Auto keeps the car in the highest gear possible and switches down to 1 when you stop. This is of course to save gas.

My 2010 started off idling rather rough, and it's occasionally a little rougher than other cars I've driven. I never really though much of it, I figured it was because of the small engine. Overall I've been very happy with it, if you drive it right you can get good performance for very little fuel.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the rough idling not usually a problem with the sparkplugs not being adjusted properly?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with tiptronic the car won't let you shift from second into first ifyou speed is too high. when it does downshift it will be harsh.

what's a rough idle? is it rough because you're not used to how the car feels yet? or is it low, high, hunting up and down? give the car some time to adjust to your driving pattern and break in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drey2011 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

On switching to first gear, I have indeed been doing it while I've been at, say, 20 km/h. The 2011 does indeed have five speeds and, yeah, that first gear does very little.

Thanks for the insight into rough idling when the car is cold. Good to know I should expect it to disappear once the car is properly broken in.

I still do find the behaviour of gear transitions to be odd. Even when I've got the car in D mode I experience this. Perhaps the automatic transmission is tuned for the behaviour of a broken-in engine and what I'm experiencing will vanish.

In any case, Mazda shouldn't claim that the car has no break-in period. That's clearly not the case!
    Ouch shifting into 1st while going 20km.. the only way you can do that safely is to match the revs. Otherwise you are basically trying to jam first gear into moving parts.
    You should only be putting it into first when you are stopped.