Thread: 2010 default tires

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 default tires

Hey,

So I was curious what you guys got for km on the factory dunlops? I had mine for 1 month put on winters last of November, April came I had a alignment done and tires back on so I estimate approx 10,000 km and they are ready to be replaced. I have had high performance tires before but this is a little low in life span to me.

If you have feedback on what you have replaced the factory ones with I'm interested in what I am going to put on now

-Glenn
    MazdaSpeed 2010 - Cobb - Corksport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 default tires

Hankook's Ventus V12 EVO k110 are a very popular choice for a performance summer tire.

Car & Driver Review

With above-average wet and dry performances, and tying for quietest on the street loop, the V12 Evo is an impressive and well-rounded summer tire. And, at $106, it’s a bargain, too.

2010 Mazda 3 Sport - Gunmetal Blue Mica

- Tints - LED Interior - Aluminum Pedals - Rally Armour - VG Sharkfin - Morimoto 5000k HID - Nokya Fog Lamps -
    - MS3 Rims - TWM Shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit - Koni Sports - Corksport SRI - Hella Supertones - Yakima Rack -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks man

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyuzora View Post
    Hankook's Ventus V12 EVO k110 are a very popular choice for a performance summer tire.
    +1 on these tires. Been using these since I got my advans and couldn't be more happier spending the money on these. Really reliable on turns and rain, quiet and affordable. I would recommend getting these.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continental Extreme Contact DW gets my vote!

The OEM tires are junk...I drove for a summer on those Dunlop SP Sport 2050's...not very good.
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I switched to Michelin Pilot Sports A/S in the front after Toronto's pot holes bulged the sidewall in one of my OEMs. The difference in traction is huge, and they last longer than the OEM Yoko Advans. I had 20k on the car when I put the new Michelins up front and the OEM Yokos in the back (not recommended to do that!). I've now got 50k on the car, but the Michelins still have a lot more tread than the Yokos despite having sat up front all this time.

I used to get un-intended wheel spin or wheel hop all the time, especially in the rain, but that's completely gone now. The tires may be pricy, but the performance and durability makes them worth it, especially if you're not looking at the bottom of the price segment, nor looking for a track-tire.

Whatever tires you get, remember that they are the ultimate safety feature. Nothing is more important in avoiding an accident than a good set of tires. (Just don't do what I did. Putting crappier tires in the back can cause over-steer.)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome thanks for all the feed back and yeah i agree tires are important I always buy good tires but want to make sure the ones I choose are worthy of the price I have a good Michelin shop here and they always get me good rubber. I was thinking pilots too

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed out my bridgestone turanzas as soon asi bought the car and sold them on craigslist,replaced them with general altimax hp's . I am at 43,000 km and these tires look practically new, ( i recorded 9/32 tread wear depth which means they are in excellent condition) . The oem tires were crap when i got them, these generals are miles ahead in handling, comfort and road noise. I guess most auto manufacturers have to cut cost somewhere and its tires.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wildcard is right about General Tire too. I had a set of General Tire's UHP (looks just like the Altimax HP. Probably just a name change) on a BMW (E34 M50). They were great and comparable with Michelin MXV4. Despite their name, their grip levels were more "Touring/Sport" than "Ultra High Performance" like they claim to be. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S definitely grip slightly better. That said, they're a lot cheaper than Michelin and for non-enthusiast use, they're pretty good. (I didn't want more grip on the BMW anyway. The cornering speeds were ridiculous enough already for a big family sedan. BMWs can tear your face off sideways in a turn.)

Caveat: I never tried the General Tires in the snow since I had a set of Pirellis in the winter for that car. The Michelin Pilot Sports A/S are definitely pretty crap in the snow, but still slightly better than the OEM Yoko Avids.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have gt exclaim uhp's and they are great summer tires for non-enthusiast use. the reason i bought it was for the high utqg (tread rating) and price, however if i had to choose again (based on previous experience and being a spirited driver) i would probably go with the ventus v12 evo k110 or conti. extreme contact dw (especially if you have a speed3). the exclaims handle fine in normal conditions but get squirly when pushed to the limits of my regular mazda3

regardless, almost anything is an improvement over the stock bridgestone, dunlop etc.
    Last edited by zzz3; 10-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.