Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default thinking of selling my 2007 MS3

Hi Guys,

I'm considering selling my MazdaSpeed3 2007. It's in mint condition, all stock except for a minor mod on the muffler, only dealer maintained, with mileage around 52K or so, never raced and 90% only driven by myself, without any passengers, so interior looks awesome as well. Am getting married and buying a house all within the next 8-12 months and need to be hauling a lot of stuff and well, MS3 isn't meant for that. Will probably pick up a truck or something similar for a year and then probably pick up a new MS3.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking for now. But considering MS3s are not really a commodity vehicle, any ideas on how much I should be asking for it? And should I just post it on kijiji, or are forums / autotrader a better option? Should I sell now or drive it over the winter since the car market picks up a lot more in the spring?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: thinking of selling my 2007 MS3

Look on kijij and auto trader and see what their going for...

You can not sell it on this fourm until you hit 50 posts and you will also need pics with your username to sell on this fourm once you pass 50 posts

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks aris - good to know about the 50 post rule, looks like I need to put my writing cap on and produce some content if I wanna ever sell something on the forum before you know... 2020 or so

ditto re kijiji/autotrader - but there's very little and the prices are so disproportionate from each other... was kind of hoping that guys who leave and breathe mazda would kind of have a magic target number in their heads

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kijiji/autotrader - but there's very little and the prices are so disproportionate from each other
    http://www.autotrader.ca/a/pv/Used/M...rprv=True&st=6

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the reason you sell the MS3 is because you need to haul stuff while you are moving? Then you getting a truck or a Van just for those 2-3 weeks purpose? I don't understand this.
    Then you will spend more money to buy the new MS3? The logic here is not money saving here, and I don't get it.

Your MS3 has extremely low KM and mint as you said, I would keep it. You won't get anything over 16k for your car, and it is not worth it to sell.
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Ride
    Vapour Trail
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMP3 View Post
    So the reason you sell the MS3 is because you need to haul stuff while you are moving? Then you getting a truck or a Van just for those 2-3 weeks purpose? I don't understand this.
    Then you will spend more money to buy the new MS3? The logic here is not money saving here, and I don't get it.

Your MS3 has extremely low KM and mint as you said, I would keep it. You won't get anything over 16k for your car, and it is not worth it to sell.
    +1 Keep the speed and rent a van from budget.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm - some good suggestions here, thx guys. If my situation was that simple, I'd definitely take that route. But I'll be hauling stuff for months - up to a year actually, going to be doing a lot of renovations to the place and rebuilding some of the inside, slowly and after work / on the weekends. So a short term van rental isn't really an option. Don't wanna trash the MS3 and put crazy mileage on it when I've been taking care of it so much. So that part I've kind of made my mind on. Plus I'll be able to take some $$ out of the sale and while I'm driving something crappy, use at least $10K from the sale towards the actual work i need to do.

So $16K you say? Hmm, I thought I could do at least $17-17.5 with such nice ride and such low kms. That's a bummer. Should I list now or keep it over the winter and wait for the market to pick up in the spring?

(and don't think i'm not heartbroken about this guys.... just reality settling in, and only the promise made to self that I'll be back in one as soon as I'm done is making this a bit easier to handle )

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by askier View Post
    Hmm - some good suggestions here, thx guys. If my situation was that simple, I'd definitely take that route. But I'll be hauling stuff for months - up to a year actually, going to be doing a lot of renovations to the place and rebuilding some of the inside, slowly and after work / on the weekends. So a short term van rental isn't really an option. Don't wanna trash the MS3 and put crazy mileage on it when I've been taking care of it so much. So that part I've kind of made my mind on. Plus I'll be able to take some $$ out of the sale and while I'm driving something crappy, use at least $10K from the sale towards the actual work i need to do.

So $16K you say? Hmm, I thought I could do at least $17-17.5 with such nice ride and such low kms. That's a bummer. Should I list now or keep it over the winter and wait for the market to pick up in the spring?

(and don't think i'm not heartbroken about this guys.... just reality settling in, and only the promise made to self that I'll be back in one as soon as I'm done is making this a bit easier to handle )
    it sucks as mazda3s and speed3s dont hold their value. no car does really but especially mazdas. these cars are a dime a dozen.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

here's the math:

sell 2007 speed = lose money
    buy P.O.S truck to haul stuff for a year then sell = lose money
    buy newer MS3 if you have to finance = lose money
    newer ms3 then depreciates like crazy = lose money

how often will you have to rent a truck realistically? You can rent a truck from zipcar for a day for around $80-90

exactly how often are you going to use the truck? every day?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by askier View Post

The trade in range is 12-14k; typically private sale goes for 15% above that given the tax savings you'd have if you were to trade it in. Link here - http://www.canadianblackbook.com/black-book-values/index/display/neworused/used/year/2007/make/Mazda/postalcode/L9T5S9/model/MazdaSpeed3/mode/tradein/trim/NOTRIM/style/4D+Hatchback/selectedoptions/[]/currentkilometers/53000

That math works out to 13,800 - 16,000. given the km and condition you'd definitely be on the high end. I'd list it for about 17,000 and see what happens; if you over price too much it will just sit there forever.

there is no win win when it comes to selling an ms3, so like others said i wold consider keeping it if you can

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe buy a used truck instead? If you look hard im sure youll find a good deal. Thats a mint ride to let go!

Ride
    2020 Elantra GT N Line
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you buy your material from Home Depot it is only $20 + tax for the first 90 minutes. Buy a bunch of material all at once and for small odds and ends you can put a piece of plastic down in the trunk so you dont dirty/ruin it.

Your thought process is not making sense to a lot of us here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sold my speed last week. Had it at $16,500 and had a few people interested. Dropped it to $15,500 and had much more interest and eventually sold it for $15,000. The dealer only offered $10k for a trade so the private sale was definitely better. IMO I would never buy a new speed3... ever. Unless you are going to drive it into the ground. Why not just buy a truck for $5-8k and sell it when your done. You won't lose near as much as buying and selling 2-3 vehicles.

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting married, buying a house, need a truck, want to sell the ms3 only to pick up another one down the road? Hmm...it just doesn't sound right. I know you mentioned you had $10k to use as a down payment. Why not settle with an older truck to save yourself a couple thousands and leave it at that. Remember you need to furnish the house, buy paint, get a fence, and all the other million little things that come with a house...I say run this by through your parents or even soon to be wife if you haven't done so already.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As many others have said already:

Keep the Speed3, buy a beater of a truck (can get some sweet deals on smaller trucks like Rangers, if that would be sufficient?), use it until you're done, and sell it. The economics of selling the Speed3, buying/selling the truck, and buying the Speed3 will be much, much worse on your wallet.

If you're concerned about insurance, park it at your new place, prep it for storage, and take off all road-related insurance coverage... If you're not driving it, I believe you can roll it in with your home insurance - I think another member is doing that with his, and it works out to like $3/month.

Food for thought.

2010 Mazda 3 Sport - Gunmetal Blue Mica

- Tints - LED Interior - Aluminum Pedals - Rally Armour - VG Sharkfin - Morimoto 5000k HID - Nokya Fog Lamps -
    - MS3 Rims - TWM Shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit - Koni Sports - Corksport SRI - Hella Supertones - Yakima Rack -

Sr Member
    Ride
    Genesis coupe 3.8, yaris
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A trailer hitch and a trailer cost much less than trading your MS3 for another vehicle over time. Mine hauled 2000 lbs no problem, even at 145km/h for passing, lols. I've even had over 1000 lbs inside the actual car before.