Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Magnum vs Power Slot

Hey all,

I'm a noob when it comes to brakes.

It's that time, 64,000km on my 07 MS3. Dealer says I need new front rotors + pads, only 5% left.

I was quoted $100 x2 for OEM rotors & $100 x 2 for OEM pads + $150 Labor + tax. There is no way I'm spending $600 + for front OEM brakes.

Spoke with Peter @ Nextmod, where I get all my parts. I need to choose between Magnum rotors vs Power slot. Power slot will be $80 more total over the magnum. I will be running the Hawk HPS pads.

What are peoples thoughts of Magnum vs Power Slot (personally I think I'm leaning towards the Power Slot) but I don't know. I searched the forums for Brake info but didn't see many/any comparisons of Magnum vs Power Slot.

Anyone running the Power Slot? Any complaints with Magnum? Any input to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance.
    '07 TR MazdaSpeed3
    Mods: 20% Tint - Mazda Rain Visors - Blacked Out Emblems - VIP Status RG-2 Rims - Falkin 452 Tires
    Cobb SRI - Cobb Springs - Koni Yellows - Tri-Point Rear Sway Bar - Tri-Point End Links
    Next Up: Cobb AP - CP-E TBE - Front Lip - Spoiler Lip - Black painted or vinyl wrap on roof

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Magnum vs Power Slot

I've been running a powerslot + HPS pad set up for 3 years and 100,000kms. No noise and good stopping. I think they are finally starting to go, but I can't complain.

I would make sure that whomever installs them makes sure to lubricate them properly on install, and make sure they are seated properly and they shouldn't give you any trouble.

One thing I did notice running this set up in the winter is to make sure to drag the brakes for the first stop or two on really cold days. I find that they do not grab very well for the first stop after a night of -20 weather. Once you heat them up a bit they are fine, but that first stop from cold needs a bit of extra stopping distance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic31 View Post
    I've been running a powerslot + HPS pad set up for 3 years and 100,000kms. No noise and good stopping. I think they are finally starting to go, but I can't complain.

I would make sure that whomever installs them makes sure to lubricate them properly on install, and make sure they are seated properly and they shouldn't give you any trouble.

One thing I did notice running this set up in the winter is to make sure to drag the brakes for the first stop or two on really cold days. I find that they do not grab very well for the first stop after a night of -20 weather. Once you heat them up a bit they are fine, but that first stop from cold needs a bit of extra stopping distance.
    Thanks. I'll be having Jimmy do the install, already spoke with him today. He recommends the Power Slot (actually told me NOT to get the magnum). Thanks for the info, I think I'll just go with the Power Slot, they seem better for a small price difference. I think I'm going to also grab a RMM and have him do the install on the same day I bring it in for the brakes. But I've been contemplating selling the vehicle too, so not sure I want to spend too much more on the car.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought magnum rotors in the summer complete front and back including brake pads for $207 shipped to my door off ebay

they work pretty good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnum rotors suck, I had them on my old 3 (got them from nextmod on one of their "sales") and they were brutal...no stopping power, noisy and just generally poor quality. When my MS3 is due up for brakes I'm going to do true mazda OEM blanks with HPS pads....the slotted/vented rotors are not as good as the OEM ones.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get magnum, I found I had way less grip with them, just get a good quality oem. Blank
    2008 Mazda 3 GT Sport----SOLD
    2011 Mitsubishi Outlander V6-----Gone bye bye (SUCKED)
    2008 Hyundai Sonata
    2012 F150 XLT Ecoboost

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The magnum rotors work fine... I stop fine and their is no noise... Their no different then my oem ones

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PearlM3 View Post
    Don't get magnum, I found I had way less grip with them, just get a good quality oem. Blank
    So you think OEM $100 x 2 (I may be able to get a better deal, forgot my good buddy's friend owns a Mazda Dealer and can get me the parts at cost I think) is better than Power Slot $140 x 2?
    I'll go with the Hawk HPS pads regardless, they are 1/2 the price of OEM.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The magnum rotors work fine... I stop fine and their is no noise... Their no different then my oem ones
    you don't have a mazdaspeed3 to qualify your statement. the size of the front rotors are different and the ms3 is heavier than the regular 3 - generating more heat when stopping.

the magnums may work well on your 3 but it may not necessarily translate the same way for an ms3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Demon View Post
    So you think OEM $100 x 2 (I may be able to get a better deal, forgot my good buddy's friend owns a Mazda Dealer and can get me the parts at cost I think) is better than Power Slot $140 x 2?
    I'll go with the Hawk HPS pads regardless, they are 1/2 the price of OEM.
    unless you're doing some form of motorsport with your ms3 (i.e. auto-x, time attack, etc) - and even then i'd bypass the powerslots and get DBA4000 - the OEM front blanks are quite substantial (the rears are the same as the regular 3) and will be more than up to the task.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    you don't have a mazdaspeed3 to qualify your statement. the size of the front rotors are different and the ms3 is heavier than the regular 3 - generating more heat when stopping.

the magnums may work well on your 3 but it may not necessarily translate the same way for an ms3.
    Sorry man I didn't realize I was posting in the mazdaspeed section

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies so far in the thread, I really do appreciate it.

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure what you want to do with ur brakes but i got mine from Alpha and you just cant beat the price i got it for
    i personally went with DBA 4000
    give them a try
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/fo...Motorsports.ca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid the Magnums entirely. Cheap crap.

Stick with Powerslot or DBA. Both of those are very good.
    The stock rotors for the MS3 are also of very decent quality for an OEM part. Maybe not for regular to semi-regular track use, but for a street rotor, they're solid.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    Avoid the Magnums entirely. Cheap crap.

Stick with Powerslot or DBA. Both of those are very good.
    The stock rotors for the MS3 are also of very decent quality for an OEM part. Maybe not for regular to semi-regular track use, but for a street rotor, they're solid.
    Actually, the OEM rotors are good enough for track use. But now, the DBA's are also good value.

The OEM rotors also fluctuate in price quite a bit, from what I remember. If you can get OEM for a good price, I'd opt for those, unless I can get DBA's at comparble or better price.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    Actually, the OEM rotors are good enough for track use. But now, the DBA's are also good value.

The OEM rotors also fluctuate in price quite a bit, from what I remember. If you can get OEM for a good price, I'd opt for those, unless I can get DBA's at comparble or better price.
    Yah they are, but if you're going to track regularly, I'd personally feel better with a dedicated track rotor and pad combo and proper fluid/lines. I've seen overheat and brake failure happen in real time and the results are often not pretty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    Yah they are, but if you're going to track regularly, I'd personally feel better with a dedicated track rotor and pad combo and proper fluid/lines. I've seen overheat and brake failure happen in real time and the results are often not pretty.
    Well obviously, it's nice to spend the $ if it makes a real difference. However, from my experience, I have really never had a problem with beating on the stock rotors at the track. In fact, most of the guys who track in the states (where avg temp is higher) also prefers the stock/OEM rotors. Again, it's nice if you can pay for something that is markedly improved over stock, but so far, it has never been proven that for the type of tracking that we do (lapping and time attack) that the aftermarket options available are any better.

In real racing...door to door for multiple hours, then yeah, upgraded rotors with better cooling along with brake cooling ducts would be necessary.

EDIT: for a season, I ran dimpled & slotted rotors from Brake Performance...the fronts warpped under heavy use. Conversely, I have warpped the OEM rears before, butnever the OEM fronts.
    Last edited by Fobio; 12-07-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just for arguments sake;

If you're considering OEM blanks, what about about just No-name Blanks (canadian tire, part source, etc.) for a fraction of the cost ?
    2006 Mazda 3 GT - K&N Drop-in Filter - 6000K HID Lows - LED Fogs - LED Interior

To Do: Hawk HPS - ETB Ground

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaYson View Post
    just for arguments sake;

If you're considering OEM blanks, what about about just No-name Blanks (canadian tire, part source, etc.) for a fraction of the cost ?
    Those are not the same. I am strictly referring to OEM Mazda rotors.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaYson View Post
    just for arguments sake;

With different rotors comes different metallurgies which have different strengths and such. In combination with how they rotors are made and how controlled the process is.

Decent read - http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...etallurgy.aspx