Thread: If you had this sound setup, what would you upgrade first?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If you had this sound setup, what would you upgrade first?

Hello all, first time poster here (been a lurker for quite some time, the information here on waxing/polishing is fantastic!).

I've been blessed with an early Christmas gift, an MTX subwoofer package that includes a single 12" subwoofer, amp and enclosure. I was also given a LOC (because I am using the stock HU) and an 8 gauge wiring kit.

Specs for the sub, amp and enclosure are:

Subwoofer:
    Single 12" subwoofer - 600W peak, 200W RMS, 4ohms

Amp:
    RMS Power Rating:
    4 ohms: 120 watts x 1 chan.
    2 ohms: 200 watts x 1 chan.
    Max power output: 400 watts x 1 chan.

Link for full specs:
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...X-TNP112D.html

The sound is fairly decent but could be much better. It's not very clear and the whole system seems to struggle at higher volumes. It also seems to miss out completely on some of the really high and really low sub frequencies. Since this was a gift, I would like to keep it and upgrade parts of it as I able to.

My question is, given this setup, which would you upgrade first? My gut feeling is the HU but I don't want to lose the OEM info display. And if the amp is rated for 4 ohms: 120 watts x 1 chan, does that mean my sub is only getting 120W? That seems awfully weak considering the sub is rated for 200W RMS.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: If you had this sound setup, what would you upgrade first?

I forgot to mention my vehicle details in my original post.

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 GS Sedan with not much done to it other than winter tires and heated seats.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What subwoofer is it? If it has dual voice coils, there may be an alternate wiring method for 2ohms, and you could get it to 200W RMS. Anyway, 120W is not horrible if you don't want POUNDING bass.

The next thing you should do is upgrade your speakers. Even just a nice set of co-axial speakers in the front will make a huge difference. The best bang for your buck would be to get an external amplifier for the speakers at the same time, to match the output from your sub. Stock head unit is fine, don't worry too much about upgrading that unless you want extra features like bluetooth, navigation, better ipod/iphone control etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to what Aitch said, hopefully your sub is DVC. Definitely get an amp with/for the new speakers though! Just make sure to match the RMS ratings between them.You won't need anything fancy with the amp but try to get the best speakers you can budget for.

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would upgrade Cabin Speakers but using component sets rather than coaxial's. This will help offset the struggling at higher volume issues.

Next I would use some sound deadening to maximize the output clarity

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    I would upgrade Cabin Speakers but using component sets rather than coaxial's. This will help offset the struggling at higher volume issues.

Next I would use some sound deadening to maximize the output clarity
    I didn't recommend components just because of the extra fab work involved. But definitely go for components with separate tweeters if you can.

Sent from my phone using 1s, 0s, and radio waves.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your input folks, really appreciated. After some additional testing with a tone generator, I've become even more unhappy with the sub woofer portion of my setup. The sub response at 40-50hz is great, but above or below that is HORRIBLE. Is this a result of the sub being under-powered? Or does the sub just really suck that bad?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    What subwoofer is it? If it has dual voice coils, there may be an alternate wiring method for 2ohms, and you could get it to 200W RMS. Anyway, 120W is not horrible if you don't want POUNDING bass.

The next thing you should do is upgrade your speakers. Even just a nice set of co-axial speakers in the front will make a huge difference. The best bang for your buck would be to get an external amplifier for the speakers at the same time, to match the output from your sub. Stock head unit is fine, don't worry too much about upgrading that unless you want extra features like bluetooth, navigation, better ipod/iphone control etc.
    MTX TNE112D, single voice coil I'm thinking I should swap out the sub for something better so I can at least get full value out of the amp.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harmankardon View Post
    MTX TNE112D, single voice coil I'm thinking I should swap out the sub for something better so I can at least get full value out of the amp.
    I didnt want to say anything before (because they were a gift) but they're both pretty weak

for an entry level amp/sub combo, I wouldnt settle for anything lower than 300W RMS (and that's being modest)
    You can look into getting a second sub (same model) and grab a bigger, more powerful, 2-channel amp, and match those with a vented/ported encloseure

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    I didnt want to say anything before (because they were a gift) but they're both pretty weak

for an entry level amp/sub combo, I wouldnt settle for anything lower than 300W RMS (and that's being modest)
    You can look into getting a second sub (same model) and grab a bigger, more powerful, 2-channel amp, and match those with a vented/ported encloseure
    I mean, lets be honest, its a bottom of line package. As far as a subwoofer setup goes, you really can't do any worse (I'm convinced even one of those bass tubes would have sounded better). I'm fully aware of how much it sucks, just trying to figure out where to start upgrading. I eventually plan on replacing everything, but in the meantime, I'd like to start with the upgrades that will have the most difference.

Eventually the bottleneck will be my 8 gauge wiring kit but I'm not even close to maxing that if I'm only at 120 RMS.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personally upgrade the power line. Sure you don't really need much more right now, but you might as well do that part right the FIRST time. Its a pain to re-run that. Plus, why starve the system... it needs all the power it can get!

Aside from the power line... I'd go with door speakers next. A good set of components in the front and coax in the rear. If you can manage a excellent pair of Components for the front... dont worry so much about the rears right away. I'm a big believer of sound fields and stagger the balance to the front... its where it matters. So a good set of components will make you happier than an avg set of speakers all around.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harmankardon View Post
    Thanks for all your input folks, really appreciated. After some additional testing with a tone generator, I've become even more unhappy with the sub woofer portion of my setup. The sub response at 40-50hz is great, but above or below that is HORRIBLE. Is this a result of the sub being under-powered? Or does the sub just really suck that bad?
    It could be the enclosure... Are you using a generic enclosure? or one designed for this particular sub?

In any case, the setup is ok if you want a wee bit of extra oomph, but I agree with the others here.
    2005 Mazda 3 Sedan - Indigo Blue
    2010 MazdaSpeed 3 - Red

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say a head unit first. An aftermarket head unit will push your stock speakers more and make them sound a lot better than a stock head unit.

After a head unit grab a new amp and sub combo. I would say a sub rated no less than 300W RMS and a mono block amp matching the 300W RMS.

After the sub and amp, then go for the speakers. If you get an Alpine HU you could get a power pack and coaxial speakers which make it cheaper, but components do sound better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you decide on upgrades you have to decide what you want out of a sound system, what are you trying to achieve?
    And also a budget is required.
    First off your headunit is the most important piece of your sound sytem, a LOC is garbage audio quality compared to that of a entry level deck.
    second, power works together with the deck to get clean audio, meaning a BIG 3 upgrade is required.
    third, speakers and subwoofers is next obviously, these have to be upgraded at the same time because if you buy one the other will suffer. if you buy speakers then you will have no low end bass, if you buy a subwoofer it will tone out your mids and highs, this is where the budget comes in to play.

So how much is you budget and what do you want out of your system. earth shattering bass or something that pounds but doesnt tone out everything else?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely:

- As mentioned above, set your budget and stick to it.
    - upgrade the amp wiring (you're going to need to at some point anyway)
    - check the output from the amp and audjust the gain to make sure your sub is getting the full 120 watts (use a muti meter if you have one, it's not 100% accurate but a pretty good method http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...lti-meter.html.
    - Install either a good set of components, or get a better headunit. Speakers will give you a better sound. The head unit will give better control over the high pass and low pass. The low pass plus a dedicated sub out will help clean up your base.

Also on a side note, if you install a new HU, you don't have to loose the info display. On 2006 and newer MZ3's you can kinda keep it. You will however be stuck with one of the selections (I went with distance left on fuel). Do a quick search, there is a How-to on here somewhere, or on M3F.