Thread: K&N drop-in filter for 2010 MS3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default K&N drop-in filter for 2010 MS3

Hi, I did a quick search and could not find any user review in the forum, so I thought I would post a thread. Has anyone used the K&N drop-in filter for 2010 MS3? I know that oil is required, and I've used the cleaning/oil kit before, but is it worth replacing the paper filter. That is, will there be a performance and/or efficiency and/or filtration increase? From what I have read it can improve the air flow and thus potentially increasing power. If anyone has a positive/negative experience with this filter any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: K&N drop-in filter for 2010 MS3

for the cost of the K&N drop in filter, you might as well invest in a good short ram intake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, but I always worry about warranty issues. I know I could put back to stock if I need to visit the dealer, but I thought a hih flow drop in would be a good compromise. I didn't think they were that expensive, but I may have looked at the wrong filter for pricing.

Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hemlor View Post
    true, but I always worry about warranty issues. I know I could put back to stock if I need to visit the dealer, but I thought a hih flow drop in would be a good compromise. I didn't think they were that expensive, but I may have looked at the wrong filter for pricing.

Thanks for the info
    get a purlator premium (blue) air filter. cheaper and just as good.

and i doubt you will see performance gains from a drop in air filter (i could be wrong though, placebo effect is pretty convincing).
    Last edited by zzz3; 01-01-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a KN drop in filter in my old air box. I can let you try them out.. Actually, we can swap filters.. Give me your stock filter (so that I have a spare in case I need to put it back to stock) then you can have the KN filter. It just needs a bit of cleaning and oiling so..

Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using American radio waves

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would take rzapata up on that deal. Use the cleaning kit, new oil and you're good to go.

I agree with zzz3 that you won't notice any difference, the only thing I can think of is that instead of having to constantly replace the paper filter,you can just keep cleaning the K&N filter which will save you a good chunk of cash in the long run.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Read both the air flow and filtration tests.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would hold off on any mods for a couple of months just so you can get a feel for your car (and just in case). After that, the money spent on a KN filter would be much better spent towards the short ram intake of your choice.

And get an upgraded rear motor mount, stock sucks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link, very interesting read. I will definitely run stock, and it doesn't seem worth getting a drop-in filter at all. The SRI would be nice, but I think I'll leave everything stock. I have read a lot of opinions on the RMM, but I don't really feel any of the wheel hop, probably due to my own ignorance, so I don't know why I would need to upgrade it. Maybe after some time driving the car I learn the weak points and then appreciate what the mods would actually improve. Enjoying the car so far, need to get the oil. Our cars take 5.5L of oil? I was at Walmart last night, looking at the Penn Platinum 5L jug. I figured I would get a jug + a quart, enough for one change to try it out. Does Rotella come in 5L jug, or is it 4L? There was no Rotella 5W40 at Walmart to compare to the Pennzoil.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hemlor View Post
    Thanks for the link, very interesting read. I will definitely run stock, and it doesn't seem worth getting a drop-in filter at all. The SRI would be nice, but I think I'll leave everything stock. I have read a lot of opinions on the RMM, but I don't really feel any of the wheel hop, probably due to my own ignorance, so I don't know why I would need to upgrade it. Maybe after some time driving the car I learn the weak points and then appreciate what the mods would actually improve. Enjoying the car so far, need to get the oil. Our cars take 5.5L of oil? I was at Walmart last night, looking at the Penn Platinum 5L jug. I figured I would get a jug + a quart, enough for one change to try it out. Does Rotella come in 5L jug, or is it 4L? There was no Rotella 5W40 at Walmart to compare to the Pennzoil.

Thanks again
    If you're not feeling the wheel hop, then you're not driving the car hard enough!

but once you get used it and start to be more aggressive, you'll really start to notice it. Then you'll get a new RMM, then you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner because you were missing out. haha

Rotella comes in a 5 L jug, so it takes a jug and bit to fill.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may be babying it a little for sure, but I'm sure that I'll push it a little more. Thanks for the information, I'll go grab some oil this weekend.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, 5.5L. Better to fill it to the dipstick, of course, after the engine is at operating temp. You'll find that the engine will not burn very much oil, if at all, and may in fact increase in volume (slightly) due to fuel dilution. Smell the dipstick after a couple thousand km, you'll notice a fuel smell right away - this is normal and part of how our engines work. There are a couple UOAs out there showing that the Pennzoil Platinum has good resistance against fuel dilution. For more info, I suggest reading the oil thread here at the Mazdaspeed 3 forum.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lokiaparandi View Post
    If you're not feeling the wheel hop, then you're not driving the car hard enough!

but once you get used it and start to be more aggressive, you'll really start to notice it. Then you'll get a new RMM, then you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner because you were missing out. haha

Rotella comes in a 5 L jug, so it takes a jug and bit to fill.
    Bollocks. If you're driving it (properly) hard enough, you'll only have wheel spin and none of this bouncy nonsense.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch