Thread: Condensation in the Tail Lights - 2012 Mazda 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Condensation in the Tail Lights - 2012 Mazda 3

Hey guys... just got my new sedan 4 days ago and I notice condensation in my right tail light. See pic. Should I take this to the dealership and get it fixed or is this normal?
    This is annoying overall seeing this on a brand new car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Condensation in the Tail Lights - 2012 Mazda 3

Sorry here's the pic:

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it to the dealership no doubt.

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool...this should be covered by warranty correct?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this happens to me too sometimes, let us know if you get any luck going to the dealership

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you go to the dealer, open your trunk/hatch and inspect the taillight along the edge as shown:

See the top left? That's a small opening where the clear plastic taillight cover attaches over the actual light assembly. I've noticed water in there before after I give my car a wash with the high pressure spray. It's just a clear plastic piece designed to fill out the taillights for aerodynamic purposes. If yours is the same as mine, then that's just condensation under the plastic cover but not inside the actual taillight itself.
    Last edited by Elusivellama; 01-08-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this actually is normal by mazda canadas definition, the condensation is between the red lens and the clear lens, this can happen on headlights and fog lights as well. if the condensation does not look like "water droplets" and eventually goes away. its not a warrantable defect. however, if it does appear to look like water droplets and the condensation does not go away, the light assembly would require replacement. this happens on my stock tail lights and led tail lights. sometimes on the headlights by the projector lens. i have replaced a few fog lights because of the water droplets and recently my gf got new headlights because the condensation was so bad some how on lens when it was cold the would freeze and frost over.

so no need to take it to the dealer right now. monitor it for sure as always. if it gets worse then drop in and have someone look at it. ill try and post the mazda canada info about condensation tomorrow.
    Last edited by Booter22; 01-08-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... these forums freakin rock, too bad I'm the n00b who has to constantly ask questions...thanks a bunch for the responses guys. Firstly, as per Elusive's advice I will check if there is water where he has shown in his pic, then will monitor the situation outside of that for the week.

Booter, I see you are a Budd's Mazda guy? I have decision to make between Direct Mazda and Budd's as my "servicing dealer", I've heard great things about you guys. If the situation is serious the way you put it, can I count on a decent service experience at your dealership?
    Also any detailing specials at Budd's?, was not that impressed with all the dry water marks on the paint and smudges on my windshields when I drove off the lot with the new car.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to see what i mean, just take your car to a coin op wash. spray the back with the high pressure gun and you will see the water get under the clear lens but not inside the red.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    Wow... these forums freakin rock, too bad I'm the n00b who has to constantly ask questions...thanks a bunch for the responses guys. Firstly, as per Elusive's advice I will check if there is water where he has shown in his pic, then will monitor the situation outside of that for the week.

Booter, I see you are a Budd's Mazda guy? I have decision to make between Direct Mazda and Budd's as my "servicing dealer", I've heard great things about you guys. If the situation is serious the way you put it, can I count on a decent service experience at your dealership?
    Also any detailing specials at Budd's?, was not that impressed with all the dry water marks on the paint and smudges on my windshields when I drove off the lot with the new car.
    Sure am! if the lights end up with water drops inside that cover lens, send me a picture and i will order a set prior to an appointment vs the standard inspect and return to replace way of doing things. i know how the condensation will come and go but you will always be able to find droplets in there so keep an eye on it.

however currently we do not have any detail specials on as its not in such high demand in the winter, i would be more then happy to have my team wash the vehicle and clean the windsheild for you, now how long it stays clean only depends on the weather. but if there is a date that may work for you let me know.

was the vehicle purchased at direct? if so i would speak to the sales manager about the concerns on your delivery. see if they would be able to offer you a reclean when its warmer out, help get all the winter salt and such out of the car before the summer starts and save you from doing it as well as the vehicle would only stay clean for a day or two now.

just a thought, but let me know about the clean and i can confirm a date and time that may work
    Last edited by Booter22; 01-09-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+10 for Budd's (ex QEW). Definitely go to Booter and the boyz - they will take care of you!

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Booter - are you also seeing this in the hatch's or just sedans? I haven't noticed any of this on my 2010 Sport, but then again, I park indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    this actually is normal by mazda canadas definition, the condensation is between the red lens and the clear lens, this can happen on headlights and fog lights as well. if the condensation does not look like "water droplets" and eventually goes away. its not a warrantable defect. however, if it does appear to look like water droplets and the condensation does not go away, the light assembly would require replacement. this happens on my stock tail lights and led tail lights. sometimes on the headlights by the projector lens. i have replaced a few fog lights because of the water droplets and recently my gf got new headlights because the condensation was so bad some how on lens when it was cold the would freeze and frost over.

so no need to take it to the dealer right now. monitor it for sure as always. if it gets worse then drop in and have someone look at it. ill try and post the mazda canada info about condensation tomorrow.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Booter - are you also seeing this in the hatch's or just sedans? I haven't noticed any of this on my 2010 Sport, but then again, I park indoors.
    i would say more sedans, i have seen it once i thought in my gfs hatch ( the blessing of having both models at home ) but i havent seen it since, however we recently had her headlights replaced as there was condensation in them that was freezing inside the whole lens. first ive seen in that regard but keep eyes open, started around the projector lens. when we have the cold cold moist days, i see it in my tails and my GT leds, ( but i took those off for winter just in case ) cost to much, and not to hard to change.
    Last edited by Booter22; 01-10-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is odd...is this happening on most Gen 2's? My Gen 1 hasn't shown one spec of condensation although I have a Gen 1 Hatch.
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ogata View Post
    That is odd...is this happening on most Gen 2's? My Gen 1 hasn't shown one spec of condensation although I have a Gen 1 Hatch.
    i havent seen it on the gen 1's only the gen 2's so far.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have photos of water droplets and fog on my tailights too, just purchased 2012 Mazda 3 GS, What should I do? (click on link below)

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0a74c...36804DBE%21411

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the actual photos after opening up my own website (didn't know i had to do that):

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your right light looks like it falls within the "normal" range for condesnation, but the left light looks like it has more then the normal range. as we should be getting some warmer temps this week see how it does progress. if its the same or gets worse contact your dealer, if it gets btter then just monitor it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    your right light looks like it falls within the "normal" range for condesnation, but the left light looks like it has more then the normal range. as we should be getting some warmer temps this week see how it does progress. if its the same or gets worse contact your dealer, if it gets btter then just monitor it.
    Ok, sounds good!