Thread: My First Mazda - 2012 GS Sky Sport

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My First Mazda - 2012 GS-Sky Sport

The wait is finally over and the 2012 manual Skys have finally arrived. In retrospect, it has only been about 1 1/2 months since I've been shopping for a car but it felt like forever!

Many thanks to Jeff from Mazda of Toronto for answering the obscene amount of questions from a new car virgin. He was very upfront with all the pricing and offered a great deal that other dealerships I went to feel uncomfortable even matching (let alone beat). Also got my tints done at Auto Links by John (I think).

Finding it hard to justify paying the crazy amount of money for new rims and the originals are slowly growing on me. Looking for some way to set myself apart from the sea of other Mazda 3s without breaking the bank. Any ideas?

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good! Glad you got the manual you wanted. Definitely get some aftermarket rims, and then put winters on the stock ones. Keep an eye on the classifieds here, or Kijiji.

Sent from my phone using 1s, 0s, and radio waves.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My First Mazda - 2012 GS Sky Sport

Congrats on the purchase

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

Ride
    Vapour Trail
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the boards

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the purchase & welcome to the forums!

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!

Ride
    2010 Mazda 3 GT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the nice new ride! +1 for John at Auto-link, their work is amazing.

Just a few mod suggestions:
    1. HID
    2. LED interior light and license plate lights ( check out Corksport's Interior LED light kit)
    3. Rear reflectors tint/overlay ( check: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.ph...c=157092.0;all)
    4. stubby antenna
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
    The wait is finally over and the 2012 manual Skys have finally arrived. In retrospect, it has only been about 1 1/2 months since I've been shopping for a car but it felt like forever!

Many thanks to Jeff from Mazda of Toronto for answering the obscene amount of questions from a new car virgin. He was very upfront with all the pricing and offered a great deal that other dealerships I went to feel uncomfortable even matching (let alone beat). Also got my tints done at Auto Links by John (I think).

Finding it hard to justify paying the crazy amount of money for new rims and the originals are slowly growing on me. Looking for some way to set myself apart from the sea of other Mazda 3s without breaking the bank. Any ideas?

D A M N man!!!! that is one freakin sexy set o lines GRATS man
    I just got 12 3GS sky last week....but I couldn't afford the sport so I had to settle for the sedan...here she is;

nuthin like the smell of a brand new baby huh
    2012 Mz3 GS SkyActiv CWP Mods; DDM 50w 6k lows / Headlights tinted with Lamin-X 6% overlay / DRL Nokya Hyper Yellows / Foglights; Morimoto 35w 3K's with Lamin-X yellow overlay / Dealer tinted sides n rear / KiCkER kx 600.4 4ch amp / Alpine Type "R" comps front / Alpine SPR-68's rear / License plate LED's / Interior LED's /***MY ICE UPGRADE***http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Zoomahh's 2012-SkyActiv-ice-upgrade*** /Detail Day July 2013 http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...il-Day-!-!-!-D
    2011 Mz2 GX CWP (wifey's car) / led interiors only

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and ummm don't mind the ugly caps on my rubber...thems my winters....my 16" alloys n rubber are waitin patiently for spring

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion... repurpose your stock 16" wheels for a winter tire setup and to buy new (or lightly used) 17" alloys of your choice with summer tires. Take the OEM all seasons off and sell them if you can find a buyer for them, there is no substitute for real winter tires. Of course you can get away with it for the time being because of how little snow we've gotten this winter.

If that route is too much money to spend at this time (especially after buying this car), then you should drive your stock all seasons into the ground while you save up cash for my above suggestion. It's all about allocation of your cash, if your heart is set on new 17" wheels (assuming they fit your car, which I think they should) then you should not be wasting money on dressing up these OEM wheels in any way. Plan for them to become your winter setup in a year or two years' time.

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    My suggestion... repurpose your stock 16" wheels for a winter tire setup and to buy new (or lightly used) 17" alloys of your choice with summer tires. Take the OEM all seasons off and sell them if you can find a buyer for them, there is no substitute for real winter tires. Of course you can get away with it for the time being because of how little snow we've gotten this winter.

If that route is too much money to spend at this time (especially after buying this car), then you should drive your stock all seasons into the ground while you save up cash for my above suggestion. It's all about allocation of your cash, if your heart is set on new 17" wheels (assuming they fit your car, which I think they should) then you should not be wasting money on dressing up these OEM wheels in any way. Plan for them to become your winter setup in a year or two years' time.
    What he said exactly.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the boards and congrats on new ride.

Ride
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!
    DAI | XXR | NANKANG | DOMINANT ENGINERING | KW | BRIDE
    KAPTION | JVC | OPTIMA | INJEN | TRI POINT | NRG | AVENUE

STRIPPING TECHNOLOGIES | EXCLUSIVE WHEEL AND TIRE | KAPTION

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post

I've read that going aftermarket rims without a drop looks wrong. Actually from one persons pic you can see a noticeable gap. Wouldn't want to do something that would void my warranty. Thanks for all the suggestions and welcomes everyone!

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read that going aftermarket rims without a drop looks wrong. Actually from one persons pic you can see a noticeable gap. Wouldn't want to do something that would void my warranty. Thanks for all the suggestions and welcomes everyone!
    I don't think changing the rims on your car would void your warranty, however I agree with you that many aftermarket rims (especially those 18" and up) will look desperate for a drop on stock height. I debate RX8/MS3 rims on my sedan all the time but without a drop I think I'm better off sticking with my OEM 17s.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make the car look the way YOU want it to look.

Don't base your mods the way others will "accept" it.

You can get a set of rims that are more subtle and clean looking and still set it apart from the rest of the Mazda3's. IMO - look for somebody selling off their Mazdaspeed rims or even go with a subtle (non-aggressive) rim (5-spoke)

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your OEM rims are 16" right? I had just assumed they were 16" because the previous model year's GS were 16" if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Elusivellama; 02-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine are 16", and I'm always browsing different threads for pics of cars with various rims without the drop. I'm also wondering about the GS/GT is if you had them side by side, both with oem 17 inch rims from the GT, would they look the same? Possibly a silly question but better to get it out now lol.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forumn!

Congrats on your purchase
    |2010 MS3|UR DP|UR Testpipe|UR EXHAUST|UR INTAKE|UR FMIC|KW V3|COBB AP|CP-E HPFP (on order)|TENZO R CUZCO WHEELS|HANKOOK Ventus V12 235/40/R18 (on order)|

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't have to 'slam' your car if you upgrade wheels. there are always alternatives like racing beat springs, which offer a very mild drop at .5"~ and a firmer ride. i have them on my car; point was to get rid of the 4x4 look (as a result of 18s) but to still retain stock appearance and functionality (since it was my first time lowering a car).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoy that new car smell. *INHALES, ah nvm....I got a 2007.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on purchase...
    2007 Crystal White Pearl Mazda 3 GT Sedan
    - 6K HID Headlights - 3K HID Fog Lights With Yellow Vinyl - KYB GR-2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - Eibach Camber Kit - K&N Typhoon SRI - Progress RSB - 35% Tinted Windows - RX-8 Rims with 18' Hankook EVO V12 - Vinyl Gloss Black Roof - GV Front Lip Kit - OEM Door Visors - Smoked LED Side & Rear Reflector - Blackout Emblems - Stubby Atenna - Hella Horn Supertones - PIAA Super Forza - Interior & Exterior LED Lighting - WeatherTech DigitalFit - Winter Tires Package -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast