Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re oil change concern!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re oil change concern!

Got my oil change done tdy at Erin mills.....after I paid the bill got on my car ready to go.....but after two minutes of driving car bogs like hell then white smokes starts puffing out!!!! Quickly turned around back to Erin mills straight to the advisor and mentioned what happened! Tech came out and check it out! After 20 minutes tech said he PUT too much oil about half a liter!!! He did the oil change again and said everything is okay! Drove it home! Car seems to be fine! No smoke, oil level is fine!

Now should I be concern about this! Or will this bite my ass in the future! I got them to note everything on my bill bout happen! Thanx for viewing
    2008.5 BLACK MICA SPEED 3

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Re oil change concern!

Would've been worse had you carried on. What happens with too much oil is that the crank starts to hit the oil causing it to splash and froth. Once the pump starts sucking in that bubbly mix, its game over for the motor since it cannot pump that through the block causing starvation.

I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that happen to me I will be pissed.
    2007 Crystal White Pearl Mazda 3 GT Sedan
    - 6K HID Headlights - 3K HID Fog Lights With Yellow Vinyl - KYB GR-2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - Eibach Camber Kit - K&N Typhoon SRI - Progress RSB - 35% Tinted Windows - RX-8 Rims with 18' Hankook EVO V12 - Vinyl Gloss Black Roof - GV Front Lip Kit - OEM Door Visors - Smoked LED Side & Rear Reflector - Blackout Emblems - Stubby Atenna - Hella Horn Supertones - PIAA Super Forza - Interior & Exterior LED Lighting - WeatherTech DigitalFit - Winter Tires Package -

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd be more concerned about going to that dealership again.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No big deal.. S$&t happens.

Say to them next time "could you make sure the oil level is correct? Last time i had a litre too much and had to bring it back in"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by standsideways View Post
    No big deal.. S$&t happens.
    IMO thats bullshit. Stuff like that should not happen, espically at a dealership. If it were my car they would be paying for a full diagnostic at another mechenic.

I have 2 concerns,
    1: going to that place again, after that i wouldnt trust them to wash my car.
    2: I dont believe .5L extra would cause that issue, a full L i can see but really 1/2 a liter, Although i have never done that to my car so maybe im wrong.

I do understand that accidents happen and it definatly is good that the tech took responsibility, but that should still be the last thing checked BEFORE handing the keys over.
    Having extra oil in your engine can be worse then having to little, ( to a certian extent)
    Last edited by peterm15; 02-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem now a days is that they just use the bulk oil. Stick the nozzle in and away it goes.

There's still no excuse as the car should be started up and then afterwards, the oil level measured before it leaves the bay it was in being worked on.

You can't just trust that the right amount went in with the nozzle.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For gen2 MS3s, the owner's manual states to use 5.7L of oil with a filter change. Jimmy puts in like 5.25L which puts it exactly at the max mark on the dipstick. This is just a guess but it is possible that the manual was followed exactly, resulting in too much oil. I know that my car does NOT require the full 5.7L of oil even with a filter swap....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your story. Either way, damage is done. I would ask the dealer for compensation for such a mistake.

Also, I always double-check my car's exterior and look under the hood before I drive it away from the dealer.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your story. Either way, damage is done. I would ask the dealer for compensation for such a mistake.Also, I always double-check my car's exterior and look under the hood before I drive it away from the dealer.
    always fair to double check, but what more compensation would be required. the dealer made a human error which was noticed by the OP and corrected at no further charge or damage. i mean yes they could offer a free service but i would think unless otherwise suggested or offered nothing would really be "required" we are all allowed to make a mistake.

happy of course that it was all taken care of and corrected for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol thank god i do my own oil changes at my dealership. then again it just sounds like you oil was burning cuz you had a little bit too much. half a litre isnt that much considering how big the crankcase is. yes the oil level will be higher but it shouldnt of been high enough to froth like hell.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    For gen2 MS3s, the owner's manual states to use 5.7L of oil with a filter change. Jimmy puts in like 5.25L which puts it exactly at the max mark on the dipstick. This is just a guess but it is possible that the manual was followed exactly, resulting in too much oil. I know that my car does NOT require the full 5.7L of oil even with a filter swap....
    Ding ding!!!! WINNER!

And having done oil changes for a few years at a dealership i know that s&$t happens.

Ie had people tell me to put 2L extra in there v8 because it takes SO long for the oil to drain down and they just want to see it on the mark, and theyve "been oil changing cars longer than ive been alive" HAH!

Your best and only option for worry free maintenance is DO IT YOURSELF.

No one will ever touch my cars other than tints, and dyno tuning, and thats why i will never have to bitch about some dealerships lube guy.

If you can make coffee you can change oil.

To the OP: TELL YOUR SERVICE ADVISOR TO MAKE SURE YOUR OIL IS BANG ON BEFORE THEY EVEN TELL YOU ITS DONE.
    Last edited by standsideways; 02-05-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx for all your opinions.....car is fine .... runs strong like before..... forgot to mention that i got a free oil change on the next visit.....

i could have yelled and raise hell in that dealeship but the tech was really sorry bout the situtation...... this dealership reviews here are bad.....but so far they been good to me!!!!

yes i can do my own oil change......just getting them to do the oil change for warranty purpose!!!!!

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post

Does Jimmy start the car and let it run for 30secs before doing the final top up? If you just fill the sump you will be .5L shy because of the added volume in the filter and oil passages. Not to mention you needto letthis car drain for a full 15-20mins to make sure everything comes out of the sump. When the oil starts dripping from the drain plug, then its time to refill. This is how Avante changes my oil all the time.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the right way to do an oil change but sadly, Tech's do not wait around for 15-20 minutes to allow the oil to drain. They are already done with the whole process in that amount of time.

I also agree that you're supposed to start the car up and let it run then shut it down followed by a brief period for the oil to settle before checking/topping up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would too much oil cause the car to struggle and smoke? How do you know they were telling the truth? Maybe they didn't put enough oil in it or they didn't retighten the oil drain plug properly and oil leaked out. I don't want to generate any conspiracy theories but the point is, dealers can tell their customers anything especially when they are trying to cover up their mistakes.

If I was the manager of that shop and a customer came back to me with that problem, the first thing I would do is try to protect myself by giving the customer the simplest excuse to avoid confrontation.

Personally, I do my own oil changes so if something goes wrong, I can only blame myself.
    '08 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3...Sold

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2008 View Post
    Would too much oil cause the car to struggle and smoke? How do you know they were telling the truth? Maybe they didn't put enough oil in it or they didn't retighten the oil drain plug properly and oil leaked out.
    Not enough oil wont do that.

But I don't believe they over filled it 0.5L, because most care can handle a bit of an overflow or vice-versa. They probably put an entire litre over. What happens is, because the crankcase is underpressure, too much oil creates an excess of pressure, which then tries to release by pushing through seals. One of the easiest seals is the Main Crank Seal and the Piston Rings, because they seal between moving parts. So the oil will get pushed through the piston rings and burn in the engine causing thick clouds of blue smoke (which can appear white too, usually it's the 'thick cloud of smoke' that defines it).

If I were you, I'd have the dealership PAY me back the oil change price, and I'd have THEM contact MazdaCanada in front of you and inform them what happened, so in the event you have future problems (possible main crank seal leak in the future) you can pit it on the dealership's carelessness and have the work warrented. I'd also never go to them again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlK98Cx View Post
    just getting them to do the oil change for warranty purpose!!!!!
    Dont need them to do oil change for warranty.
    As long as receipts and milage are kept from the oil change ( even canadian tire receipts) you good.

Ride
    2020 Elantra GT N Line
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    always fair to double check, but what more compensation would be required. the dealer made a human error which was noticed by the OP and corrected at no further charge or damage. i mean yes they could offer a free service but i would think unless otherwise suggested or offered nothing would really be "required" we are all allowed to make a mistake.

happy of course that it was all taken care of and corrected for you.

People go to the dealership because they think that dealership mechanics are "the best" and they will get the best service. Thats the reson people agree to pay the ridiculous dealership prices for "peace of mind". For a "technician" (mechanic everywhere else int he world) to maKe a potential catastrophic mistake on a simple oil change, theres a problem.

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinnierap View Post
    People go to the dealership because they think that dealership mechanics are "the best" and they will get the best service. Thats the reson people agree to pay the ridiculous dealership prices for "peace of mind". For a "technician" (mechanic everywhere else int he world) to maKe a potential catastrophic mistake on a simple oil change, theres a problem.
    + 1

Dealership charge other places 2X for an simple oil change and yet they can't do it right.
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once had a free oil change on my Tiburon from the dealer. The free oil change came as a result of something else they screwed up. It was a warranty claim on the seat belt. Anyways, with this free oil change, they tech forgot to drain the oil. Added the required amount and away I drove. LOL I didn't even make it off the lot. Sometimes when there are more than one person working on a car, issues arise as one person thinks that the other is doing something and it never gets done. I had oil come out of my intake and drench the filter. A rental car later and and a couple days of clean up on the car, they assured me it was fine. Notes were made and an extended warranty was added to the engine. Seemed fair to add another 60,000kms to the car that only had 90kms left of power-train warranty and I wasn't the first owner. Sold that car 6 months later and no problems that I heard of but I informed the buyer of the issue (was a close friend). I would definitely get notes made of the incident and contact Mazda Canada and make sure that they will cover any issues that may arise from this. I'm not saying anything will happen but it would be nice to be covered if a seal went.
    Phone: 647-439-4485

AUDIO | SECURITY | ACCESSORIES | HID & LED LIGHTING | VIDEO & MULTIMEDIA | ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CelestSpeed3 View Post
    Does Jimmy start the car and let it run for 30secs before doing the final top up? If you just fill the sump you will be .5L shy because of the added volume in the filter and oil passages. Not to mention you needto letthis car drain for a full 15-20mins to make sure everything comes out of the sump. When the oil starts dripping from the drain plug, then its time to refill. This is how Avante changes my oil all the time.
    and that is NOT the way to change oil on these cars
    the MZRs drain oil back to the pan very slowly, so running it for a few seconds then shutting off to check the level means you are WAY off and you end up overfilling the engine from topping off

putting in exactly what the engine needs is all you need to do

just do a search and you'll see some members complaining about the oil on their dipsticks looking frothy... the cause? overfilled oil and the crankshaft and churning the oil up! in each of those cases, I told those people to let the car sit overnight before checking the oil... and what did they find? the oil was way overfilled... but once the engine has be ran and they checked within minutes after it was shut off, the oil level looked "correct"
    Last edited by TheMAN; 02-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0.5L will not kill your engine. It wont harm your engine.
    The car is fine.
    People seem to worry so much about OMG .000023L extra of this is going to kill my car!!
    No, it wont.

Also, dealerships charge what they do because of overhead, if mistakes happen they are paid for out of pocket, and because tech's have a diploma/hours put in etc, so guess what, just like any other job, you get paid based on your education/experience. Same with engineers, lawyers, doctors etc.
    In the health care system, if it were not free, would you go to a "non-certified" doctor for half price with your health in question? No, not at all.

All in all, I've always found going to the dealer is easier, even if it means paying a bit more, but it seems the job is usually done right the first time with no headache. IF a problem comes up, you go back, get it fixed, end of story.

Have Erin Mills document it for peace of mind dude and you'll be all set.
    If they had added 2L for example, then I'd be worried. Anything 1L/under, its not a problem. It got checked and fixed quick.

Also, oil changes are not that expensive.. we charge $29.95 for basic, $39.95 for synthetic, and get a free car wash too. We have had this pricing for some time. Add $10 to each price which is what it normally should be, but we haven't charged more than that in over 8 months.
    The 0w-20 is $59.95, but that's not bad either.
    Go anywhere else and I guarantee you will be more money, they don't check your car nor wash it; eg. Jiffy Lube, Mr. Lube, Canadian Tire etc.
    Moe
    Last edited by 5_Alive; 02-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    From the South- Windsor
    Windsor Mazda Service Advisor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- SOLD but not forgotten
    2016 SWP Mazda6 GT 6-MT- DAILY

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can't use 0W20 in a ms3

and overfilled oil can potentially cause problems... most mechanically minded people here already knew this!
    http://www.cartalk.com/content/each-...rs-oil-changed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    you can't use 0W20 in a ms3

and overfilled oil can potentially cause problems... most mechanically minded people here already knew this!
    http://www.cartalk.com/content/each-...rs-oil-changed

Wasn't referring the 0w20 to the ms3. Was stating pricing is all since people believe dealers always charge more.
    I ran 15w90 in my Speed all the time!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast