Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalize Marijuana or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they legalize and tax it - they will take full control over growing and distributing. And prices will skyrocket.

Which will lead to more people growing (or importing) their own, and selling it illegally (or at the very least, selling close to what the govt sells for)

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Legalize Marijuana or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    If they legalize and tax it - they will take full control over growing and distributing. And prices will skyrocket.

Which will lead to more people growing (or importing) their own, and selling it illegally (or at the very least, selling close to what the govt sells for)
    +1

Plus I think if they start mass producing it for the government there will be no control of how good/bad it is. They will sell different grades and jack up the price. I wouldnt buy weed from the government... F that.... like they always say... support your local farmers

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoXy View Post
    BAM! Straight from the mouth of a teacher... You heard it here kids! Drugs are bad! lol
    Lol. More info! Some youth are getting into K which is a dissociative drug meaning that it chemically numbs certain parts of your system. This drug will really make you dumb and dumber.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think prices would become more in line with Tobacco. When was the last time you paid $10 for a gram of Tobacco?

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War on drugs = legislation to outlaw certain substances

The idea is that by outlawing something, you artificially suppress demand, and therefore, the worth of the supply should naturally diminish, making it economically unviable for criminal elements to profit from the sale of said substance.

BUT

Humans, being what we are, our demand does not become suppressed, and the more you tell someone not to do something, the more they may want to do it, which means, the "War on Drugs" has a side effect of artifically inflating demand, from curious thrill seekers to everyday citizens, including children, teens, moms, etc.

So by perpetuating the "War on Drugs" and limiting legal supply and demand, it actually channels the supply/demand underground, into the shadier parts of town and increases the potential for violent transactions. Furthermore, this strained supply/demand relationship will inflate the price of the substance, and thereby further enticing criminal elements to exploit it for profit.

This is the simple reality of the economics of the War on Drugs. However, it is the perceived image of drug use that the "powers that be" leverages upon and further compound it with "Think of the children!!!11!!!" mentality that is clouding society (North American) from taking a more pragmatic and effective approach to dealing with drug abuse.

Oxycotin was/is a legalized drug...just cuz something is legalized, it doesn't mean it's good for you or non-addictive...or anything better than any other opiates such as heroin or say opium. Abuse of prescription medication is more common than anyone thinks and it does more damage to society than anyone imagines. Ppl feel that since it came from a doctor, it must be good for them...case in point: Whitney Houston.
    Last edited by Fobio; 03-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Lol. More info! Some youth are getting into K which is a dissociative drug meaning that it chemically numbs certain parts of your system. This drug will really make you dumb and dumber.
    Yepp it's a relly bad one. My ex's brother died of an OD from it. Sad times.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how the laws on alcohol are getting tougher (roadside suspensions, etc) so if they legalize weed then the same laws should apply.

Anything addictive (tobacco) should be criminalized/banned in Canada.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    I like how the laws on alcohol are getting tougher (roadside suspensions, etc) so if they legalize weed then the same laws should apply.

even Angry Birds? LOL
    I'm facking hooked!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% on your first point, your second is so far off it isn't even funny. And no I don't smoke.

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That has to be one of the worst and most unrealistic ideas I've ever come across. You'd have to expand our court systems tenfold to deal with people getting prosecuted for smoking JUST cigarettes...brilliant use of tax dollars.

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about morphine?
    #HATCHTAG

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    What about morphine?
    Or any other sinus/ cold med, pain med, alcohol, caffeine.
    Why stop there.
    Cell phones, video games. SEX...

Shall I keep going. All of these to certain people would result in side effects. ( granted some are ridicules but they are all considered addictions and most have programs that you can sign up for. )

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

way to read into that the wrong way guys.

My tax dollars go to pay for all the smokers who have to make hospital visits. The point is to get rid of things that hurt more than just the individual, but society as a whole, like DRUNK DRIVING. Jeeze. Why all the flaming you flaming homos?

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

way to read into that the wrong way guys.

My tax dollars go to pay for all the smokers who have to make hospital visits. The point is to get rid of things that hurt more than just the individual, but society as a whole, like DRUNK DRIVING. Jeeze. Why all the flaming you flaming homos?
    How does criminalizing anything addictive achieve that? There's a reason they sell tobacco and that reason is because it is government regulated and they make a profit off it. The same thing can be said about alcohol. Smoking by-laws and regulations have become more restrictive and effective in their deterrence, as have stiffer penalties and other reinforcements relating to drunk driving.

If you want to think that all your tax money goes to smokers' hospital visits, be my guest, but I'd be curious to see how much more taxes you'd be willing to pay once the government decides to ban and CRIMINALIZE modern household contents such as alcohol, and cigarettes, and whatever else they deem addictive. Imagine if the US decided to outlaws guns in a society where 9/10 people own guns? The comparison might be a little extreme, but the underlying principle is the same.

At the end of the day, it's a choice to smoke as an individual. If you don't want me to smoke around you, tell me. I (as many smokers do) try to be considerate and obey all by-laws and smoking regulations. I smoke in my car when I'm by myself...who am I doing harm to? I don't smoke around kids, or touch kids or anyone for that matter with my hands after I smoke and I carry sanitizer in my car to clean them off with afterwards. Sure it's a dirty habit and I'll eventually drop it myself, but at the end of the day, an individual should have the right to do what they want, in the privacy of their own property; as long as its traceable effects are not evident to cause anyone else harm - and if they don't, then this isn't a democratic and free society and my Charter rights are being violated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why all the flaming you flaming homos?
    Nice.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Impressive View Post

At the end of the day, it's a choice to smoke as an individual....an individual should have the right to do what they want, in the privacy of their own property;
    I don't disagree, but why should part of my money go towards paying for your hospital bills? There are other ways to go about this as well: smokers could be charged for smoking related hospital visits, for example.

My argument is that I'm sick of paying for other people's mistakes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree, but why should part of my money go towards paying for your hospital bills? There are other ways to go about this as well: smokers could be charged for smoking related hospital visits, for example.

But that's how taxes work. Healthy people offset the costs of sickly people. This shouldn't be directed at smokers or whatever, you have beef with the health care system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and by that same rationale, people should have to pay for their own alcohol related medical expenses, or those related to being overweight and eating junkfood all day. People would need to pay for their own incarceration when convicted of a crime too. Where would we draw the line?

I understand what you're getting it, but it wouldnt really work. People need to have some degree of freedom, and have some expectation of care - especially if they're paying taxes specifically to fund a public health system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move to the USA. in Canada everyone pays taxes to insure everyone has proper health care. If you don't like it you are free to leave, just be sure you take you bad ideas with you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should I pay hospital bills for the morons that speed and get into accidents. I don't speed. Why should I pay. Better yet I'm sick of paying healthcare and disability for morbidly obese people.

Your reasoning is flawed. What your essentially saying is all hospital bills should be paid out of pocket unless it a common cold. Most hospital visits are usually the result of yours or someone else's mistake ( ie broken bones)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same can be said about people fighting minor traffic or parking tickets when they know they are at fault

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same can be said about people fighting minor traffic or parking tickets when they know they are at fault
    yeah true... but the figures are no where near comparable, the medical industry is the top grossing industry right now... i agree with bisson the numbers are too high to ignore... just like insurance fraud in ontario it needs to be addressed... smoking is getting outlawed more and more every year, i remember only a couple years ago you were able to smoke inside Tim Hortons... now you cant even smoke within 5-10 meters of the door... Hospitals are promoting a smoke free property... its only a matter of time until its controlled better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FALSE
    it would be like booze and cigarettes..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodzy View Post
    FALSE
    it would be like booze and cigarettes..
    Have you seen the cost of smokes? And the amount of bootlegs and "native" brands there are.

Same with alcohol. Home brewers everywhere selling bottles $1-2 less than the real wineries.
    Last edited by Default User; 03-21-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you seen the cost of smokes? And the amount of bootlegs and "native" brands there are.

Same with alcohol. Home brewers everywhere selling bottles $1-2 less than the real wineries.
    Yet the tobacco and alcohol industries seem to be making billions every year...
    Also I was making the point that the government does not control/run these industries.. it simply taxes them.

Legalizing weed is a very good choice...
    A. Tax the hell out of it
    B. Tax the hell out of all the jobs being created
    C. Jobs created
    D. Reduce the amount of bureaucratic BS that police and government go through with the war on drugs this in turn
    (i) decreases costs in these areas
    (ii) increases effectiveness on things that matter in the world
    (iii) decrease crime which in turn again decreases costs of lawyers, justice system and our overcrowded prisons
    E Tourism will increase which brings money into the economy on ALL fronts

There is absolutely no negative that can outweigh these benefits. Especially when you take into consideration the negative effects of alcohol and cigarettes have a MUCH MUCH greater impact than weed ever would.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast