Thread: When to replace tires?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When to replace tires?

One tire dealer said my rear tires have 3/32 and 4/32 and should be replaced immediately. Another said they have 5/32 and 6/32 with at least another year's life. The third dealer (who did not see the tires) said if they have 5/32, they should be replaced soon because it is close to minimum depth of 3/32. Fronts have 7/32.

Although minimum acceptable tread depth is 2/32, Tire Rack says: 'If rain and wet roads are a concern, consider replacing your tires when they reach approximately 4/32" of remaining tread depth.' Consumer Reports says: 'You may want to consider shopping for new ones closer to the 4/32-inch groove depth.'

I can replace all four now for $360 (General Altimax RT) or two rear tires for $240 (Kumo KH21) when they reach the wear bars. The prices are all inclusive final total. If I don't buy Altimax RT now, I would not be able buy at this price in future but on the other hand I don't want to replace tires unnecessarily.

Should I replace tires now?

(Current tires are Nokian G2s - 215/70R/15. The vehicle is Dodge Caravan. This issue came up when I went to pick up winter tires for my Mazda 3. I also put new all seasons - Continental ContiProContact - on my Mazda 3)
    Last edited by sip; 03-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: When to replace tires?

that is really only an answer you can decide on, at the end of the day it looks like ( if the measurements are correct ) the tires will either need to be replaced soon, or next year. depending what measurement you decide on is correct. all in all the four tires at $360 seems like a very good price. find out if you can buy the tires and pay the package price and have them installed later so you can wear out the remaining tread on your current tires. if not again it really depends on what measurement you choose but at less then half life and that price. i would go for it. maybe keep the other tires for a spare in future if you have a blow out or need to replace them for any reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    that is really only an answer you can decide on, at the end of the day it looks like ( if the measurements are correct ) the tires will either need to be replaced soon, or next year. depending what measurement you decide on is correct. all in all the four tires at $360 seems like a very good price. find out if you can buy the tires and pay the package price and have them installed later so you can wear out the remaining tread on your current tires. if not again it really depends on what measurement you choose but at less then half life and that price. i would go for it. maybe keep the other tires for a spare in future if you have a blow out or need to replace them for any reason.
    Thanks for the replay. I can buy the four tires for $275 including tax if I don't get them installed. I will just buy the tires and keep them. Only downside is my basement will look like a tire shop.
    Last edited by sip; 03-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, just regarding the tire depth, when i went to school they taught us to use the gauge on the wear-bar, everywhere else is straight into the channel. so the third dealer feeling it out must know his shisen or just a luck guess
    2006 Mazda 3 GS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i keep running mine until the wear bar. but if you can get ur tires for that kinda price then i would get them now. wen ur tires fo wear smooth, youll have like 5000 kilometres of le mans racing slicks lol