Thread: Car was in a crash

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Car was in a crash

Life hits you hard sometimes. This time it hit in the form of a Ford Escape going through a red light.....
    So on Friday the 30th, I was exiting the 401 at Progress Rd in Scarborough, heading straight into the Wal-Mart. As I began to accelerate into the intersection when the light turned green, this SUV came at full road speed into the intersection and hit directly into my car's fender. Luckily no airbags went off.

She came out crying and sorry, but scared she would be charged with running a red (she was around 35), I said we're going to the collision reporting center. I called police but they said they are not going to come to the scene because no one was injured, EVEN though the damage exceeded $1,000. She asked if we can just go to a body shop and she'll pay for the damaged, I said no I want insurance to get involved. So she called her friend over to help, who was quite rude, and said we should just say it happened in the parking lot to avoid her getting a ticket. What a total b****. Like seriously? Why would I lie and say something that was not be covered by insurance? I'm not stupid. She called her insurance and told them she ran a red light and hit someone, yet my insurance refused to pay any of the tow/rental car costs until they get proof who is at fault (they later called her and she admitted to fault).

Anyway, my car was towed to the insurance's body shop on their recommendation, but after some deliberation I decided I don't know what goes on behind those doors and I wanted someone I trusted more to work on my car. So I had the car towed to Mazda of Toronto and dealt with their service department (the last time I ever entered Mazda of Toronto was 3 years ago to test drive a Mazda3). So now the car is in their hands.

By the way, a MASSIVE thanks goes over to Mazda of Toronto. They were extremely courteous, caring, and accommodating, even though I didn't buy my car from them (sorry for drinking so much coffee lol, I was up all night). I'm very happy with the quality of attention I got from that dealership and will return my business with them, along with recommendations.

So, without further adieu, here is the damage to my car. I wish I can say "it's not as bad as it looks", but the damage extends to the drive-train (the wheel bearing was crushed), as well as structural damage as the chassis leg is bent.

Her car

Sadness

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry that this happened

I hope you went to a collission centre to file the accident claim.

This could actually be considered shared fault as you entered the intersection when unsafe.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, glad you're ok though. I can't believe the police didn't show up. From what I understand is that they should be there at least to mediate, just to avoid possible tensions and to see that nobody's hurt, etc.

Good decision on not agreeing with the b****. Scratches on a parking lot, I can go with a private deal as long as nothing major is affected. But an accident caused by somebody running a red light, I'd be pissed (but will try to hold my temper), and would definitely want the police to be involved.

I hope the car gets fixed to original spec. Good idea on bringing it over to MOT. I would have done the same (bringing it to a trusted shop).

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Car was in a crash

Possibly considering the other person admitted the claim once she called her insurance. Sucks to see your baby get nailed like that. Hope you're alright tho!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ouch man... good thing it is all being taken care of well though and you are all right
    2009 mazdaspeed3
    CorkSport SRI/TIP... CP E motor mount... CorkSport interior LED kit... Prosport Boost Gauge... cp-e towplate... shifter bushings... 23% tints

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear you're ok and that MOT will look after you. Glad you stuck to your guns and decided to place a claim with your insurance company. I hate it when the person at fault tries not to dealt with the insurance company. She's a shitty driver period and prb shouldn't have been driving to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by rzapata View Post
    Wow, glad you're ok though. I can't believe the police didn't show up. From what I understand is that they should be there at least to mediate, just to avoid possible tensions and to see that nobody's hurt, etc.
    Are the police suppose to show up for ALL accidents? I don't know the laws here but in Manitoba when I got hit from behind, I took down the guys information, reported it to the police, got an report number and then dealt with the insurance end of it.
    Last edited by yearoftherat; 04-01-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, that sucks. Glad you're okay.

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said when I saw your car.

It could have been worse, having a branded car is better than having a limp for the rest of your life...
    Damn you photobucket.....

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn can't trust anyone to stop at a red anymore, good to hear nobody got hurt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DumpInfo View Post
    Possibly considering the other person admitted the claim once she called her insurance.
    For all you know - she couldve been talking to her BF on the phone.

CYA - ALWAYS file a report at the collision centre.

Sponsor - Elevated Car Care
    Ride
    Detaling Van
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohh man, I'm glade your okay. Sorry to see what happened in your car. Collisions are bad for everyone, even if it wasn't your fault but you still have your health and in my opinion that's the best thing to save.
    Get Detailed. 50 Doncaster Ave., Unit #9, Thornhill, ON. www.getdetailed.ca 6478870132
    Car Cleaning & Detailing.
    Ceramic Pro Certified.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Sorry that this happened

I hope you went to a collission centre to file the accident claim.

This could actually be considered shared fault as you entered the intersection when unsafe.
    I think that clause only applies when you are turning left and get smoked by someone running a red light. I don't think it applies when you're driving straight. I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad to hear there was no damage to you. cars can be mended and made like new, body parts not so much. i'm surprised the cops didn't show up given the extent of the damage and the fact that she ran a red light.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    Are the police suppose to show up for ALL accidents? I don't know the laws here but in Manitoba when I got hit from behind, I took down the guys information, reported it to the police, got an report number and then dealt with the insurance end of it.
    Not at all times AFAIK. I think there's a certain amount of property damage when they'll actually show up. Depends of how bad the incident is.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to hear no one was injured. You definitely made the right decision by both reporting the accident as well as bringing it to Mazda of Toronto.

.....and yes the police should have responded to the call nonetheless.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the support and feedback guys

Ride
    Vapour Trail
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
    I think that clause only applies when you are turning left and get smoked by someone running a red light. I don't think it applies when you're driving straight. I could be wrong.
    We are told through work that when we enter an intersection from a stopped position, we need to make sure that said intersection is cleared (by counting 1-2-3) before we start advancing. The police see it as not making sure that it is safe to proceed. Now, if the traffic light has been green for sometime or the car ahead of you has proceeded through the intersection and you get t-boned then the other driver would be deemed as running a red light.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no redlight camera at that intersection?
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you (and the other driver) are ok.

Also I don't know if you knew this or not when asking for tow to MOT, but their body shop, Linwood Motors, is top notch. I had my door replaced there last year out of pocket and am still happy with the work.

If you get a chance, stop by and talk to Kirk or Eileen for a tour and explanation of what needs to be done.
    Last edited by zzz3; 04-01-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario Insurance Fault Determination Rules

15. (1) This section applies with respect to an incident that occurs at an intersection with traffic signals. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (1).

(2) If the driver of automobile “B” fails to obey a traffic signal, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (2).

(3) If it cannot be established whether the driver of either automobile failed to obey a traffic signal, the driver of each automobile shall be deemed to be 50 per cent at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (3).

(4) If the traffic signals at the intersection are inoperative, the degree of fault of the drivers shall be determined as if the intersection were an all-way stop intersection. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (4).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zzz3 View Post
    Glad you (and the other driver) are ok.

Also I don't know if you knew this or not when asking for tow to MOT, but their body shop, Linwood Motors, is top notch. I had my door replaced there last year out of pocket and am still happy with the work.

If you get a chance, stop by and talk to Kirk or Eileen for a tour and explanation of what needs to be done.
    Yea, I was told by MoT, I actually spoke with Kirk when the car was taken to Linwood, he was very good. Normally I have a "Do Not Trust Other Mechanics" policy, but I felt comfortable that the car was in good hands.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, glad your ok. Hope everything works out.
    2007 Crystal White Pearl Mazda 3 GT Sedan
    - 6K HID Headlights - 3K HID Fog Lights With Yellow Vinyl - KYB GR-2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - Eibach Camber Kit - K&N Typhoon SRI - Progress RSB - 35% Tinted Windows - RX-8 Rims with 18' Hankook EVO V12 - Vinyl Gloss Black Roof - GV Front Lip Kit - OEM Door Visors - Smoked LED Side & Rear Reflector - Blackout Emblems - Stubby Atenna - Hella Horn Supertones - PIAA Super Forza - Interior & Exterior LED Lighting - WeatherTech DigitalFit - Winter Tires Package -

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ha. parking lot, what a joke some people..Sure Sucks man! but glad your ok, keep us updated for the status when you know anything!

im surprised the cops didnt come out, usually they come for any accidents. at least i didnt think they could decline to show up because no one was hurt as i thought you need to report every accident and they need to write it up..
    Last edited by Booter22; 04-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rzapata View Post
    Not at all times AFAIK. I think there's a certain amount of property damage when they'll actually show up. Depends of how bad the incident is.
    Incidents over $1,000 in total damage need to be reported to the police. Anything less, no.

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two questions.

1. What happens if you don't report an incident over $1,000? Does anyone actually care? If a cop just drives by and asks, couldn't you just say 'yeah we reported it'? Just out of curiosity.

2. Is there any chance that even if she's 100% at fault, your insurance will still go up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast