Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Recall & Vibrating Steering Wheel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Power Steering Recall & Vibrating Steering Wheel

I have noticed a large number of people both here and on other Mazda forums, that have issues with vibrations at certain speeds.

I am doing a small informal poll to check and see if you had A. the power steering recall performed on your car and B. whether or not you have vibration at certain speeds.

I have found an issue with my car, where I was impacted by the recall and now there is damage to the Rack and Pinion.

If you wish to add your description(s) of your issues please feel free.

My issue: I noticed a vibration in my car, took it to QEW, now Budds, and talked to Booter<<< he really is a great guy. Anyway, they found a blown engine mount, passenger side, and worn bushings in the rear. I had the motor mount fixed at 156,000 km's and left the rear bushing as it is not causing the vibration that I am feeling. 10,000 km's later I had a major vibration during a rain storm, moved the entire car over by a lane. Found the link shaft bearing was completely out of the housing... fixed that. The vibration still persisted, I tried replacing the passenger drive shaft, no change. I was then informed that the PS recall work was never completed, they had replaced the pump not the lines. So I had that work completed and the vibration was almost completely gone. I thought my troubles were done. 2 weeks following that work, the vibration returned. I talked to John again, he really is a great guy have I metioned that? Anyway, I couldn't get into the shop for the drive test with a tech. On Friday the vibrations were almost at their worst, and the steering wheel was pulsing to the left about 2 inches while travelling at low speeds. As soon as I got home I jacked up the drivers side and found that there was an excessive amount of play in the tierod as it goes into the Rack and Pinion. The car is now at Budds getting a once over to see what needs to be fixed, my guess is that it's the entire rack. Now, as far as I am concerned this all relates back to slow reaction by Mazda to their issues with rust in the PS lines. Anyway, enough ranting, just check yes if you have vibration after the recall. I want to know how many of us could be effected here.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Power Steering Recall & Vibrating Steering Wheel

Just a side bar update, I will be replacing the driver side drive shaft and wheel bearing........... I will update as to my vibration issues, and whether or not they disapate/disappear......... Stay tuned.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second side bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtR6J...ature=youtu.be

wait till the 50 second mark. The car is parked until i can repair it myself.
    Last edited by cwp_sedan; 04-04-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quicky update, I changed the driverside drive shaft, found some very lovely silicone on the band, trying to seal a leak! Anyway, there was rust in the joint,(pic's to come) most of the grease was there. Some of the vibration is gone. I did not change the bearing or hub, they did not have any wear indication to them. Still there is a vibration present. Going to try flushing the power steering and see what the difference is.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey my steering wheel veers a little to the left, is that a steering issue or wheel alignment do you know/have you seen it before?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say alignment, does it do it on all roads, or just some?

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I'd say either alignment issue or just the road. I've noticed car veering frequently too but I think it's just in response to the roads and nothing too serious since the vibrations aren't that harsh or anything. Definitely noticed that the 3 was more sensitive to road curves and what not than my previous two cars. Never really noticed this issue (or should I say inconvenience) with them. Wonder if others are experiencing this as well? Besides the guys had actually had serious enough vibrations to report it, get it fixed, etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xxSlidewaysxx View Post
    I'd say alignment, does it do it on all roads, or just some?
    All, it's been like that for awhile. I said steering because the wheel itself has some 'slack', and it just tends to set itself a LITTLE to the left, and then the car follows obviously (or is it the other way around? :O)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I should have mentioned that mine doesn't vibrate at all, just a steering thing. I've been meaning to get it fixed but didn't care that much for it tbh.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my steering wheel vibrates at 100+ km/h, last year i had my rims balancing checked out and apparently they were fine .....i thought i might have to fork out the money for road force balancing to get it to go away. I wonder if it could be something else then?

I've had the power steering pump recall performed on my car as well

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a friend from work rev my engine while parked. I noticed that the rear of the motor moved a lot, this could be part of it. I may fork out the cash for a CP-e rear mount. In the mean time I will replace the PS fluid ans see what comes of it. I'll post pics of the removed fluid. I will be doing it this way:
    http://www.flex-innovations.com/power_steering.htm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i figured out why my driver side CV joint failed:

Yup, someone tried to cover the hole with caulking.......Just curious if anyone else has caulking on their boots????
    Last edited by xxSlidewaysxx; 04-25-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it outdoor caulking at least?
    2008.5|Mazda3|Sport|GX|Galaxy Grey
    TINTS 32% ATWA | PARTPLAZA EYELIDS | CP-E TOW PLATE | SPEED3 REAR VALENCE | SPEED3 OEM SPOILER | INTERIOR LEDs | TM3 PLATE COVERS | SMOKED LED SIDE MARKERS | APEXCONE 35W 5000K LOWS | 6000K LED FOGS | SPEED3 REAR SWAY | GEN1 SPEED3 18's POTENZA WRAPPED
    MODS WANTED: EXHAUST | LIP

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like some sketchy mechanic work is going on at one of your mechanics

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a picture of the band, you can do the math......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a tear in my boot too I think, haven't had a chance to get around to fixing it, can't believe they used caulking. hahahahahah... sorry.. but hahahah OMG. SERIOUSLY?! This is why I don't/can't trust anyone when I hand my keys over for service.
    Crystalline
    2005 Mazda 3 GT | Sunroof | 17% Tint | 17" Enkei STR-5 rims | 6000k HID's | 3000K HID Fogs | Alien Green Calipers | Tein H-Techs | 10" 600watt Clarion Sub, 300watt O'rien Amp | GV Front Lip | Rear Flares | My Lil' Monster |
    Future Mods | CAI? | Vinyl/Plasti Dip Roof? |

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a similar problem that others have reported here. I have a 2008 Mazda 3. Everything is stock. I just recently bought the vehicle, so I don't really know it's history. At roughly 90 km/h I get a vibration that makes the steering wheel shake. The strange part about it is that it doesn't do it all the time. It only does it about half the time under exactly the same conditions even during the same drive. Other times its perfect. I don't understand why it would be intermittant. First thing I thought of is a wheel out of balance, but wouldn't it do it every time if that was the problem? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mugfordd View Post
    I have a similar problem that others have reported here. I have a 2008 Mazda 3. Everything is stock. I just recently bought the vehicle, so I don't really know it's history. At roughly 90 km/h I get a vibration that makes the steering wheel shake. The strange part about it is that it doesn't do it all the time. It only does it about half the time under exactly the same conditions even during the same drive. Other times its perfect. I don't understand why it would be intermittant. First thing I thought of is a wheel out of balance, but wouldn't it do it every time if that was the problem? Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.
    I really notice mine in a cross wind....... do you get the same?

My new mounts should be in today or tomorrow, I'll let you know what the difference is.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the RMM installed yesterday, OMFG it's like sitting on a V8. Just waiting for the breakin and I will be able to tell if the vibrations are lessened or not. I got the CP-e and it's the first gen, if it makes a difference to anyone.
    Last edited by xxSlidewaysxx; 06-13-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, after the break-in i have noticed a whole lot less vibration on my 3. There is still some, I believe this to be suspension related, be it shocks/bushings i'm not sure yet.

I may or may not replace the shocks, after 200,000 KM's they probably need it, but i would definetly tell everyone who has a vibration issue to replace the rear mount. After market or new OEM, it's up to you. When you remove the old one, it may not look damaged, but thanks to the location, the rubber definetly sees it's fair share salt/rain/anything that's on the road. I'll see if I can still find the old one and video the amount of flex that exists in it.

It's a cheap fix and anyone can do it, if you're willing to get slightly dirty.

I do notice that whole freakin car shakes when I have the AC on, perhaps I should research that AC clutch issue.........

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen a TSB for replacing the rear mount. I have the same issue and happens in the same way and speed - not always also.

I am looking into replacing that mount...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Vibration like unbalanced tires but I just got my tires balanced and didnt change anything.

It happens between the speeds of 100-120km/h on the highway where can I check if the recall work has been done on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having this exact same problem but my car is an 05... My mechanic said it "may" be an engine mount but I'm curious to know if there are other ways to diagnose the mounts... The car doesn't "jitter or jump" when putting it in gear (it's a 5 sp). It's quite an annoying vibration while on the highway and it only happens while accelerating at high speeds and not while cruising.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim94 View Post
    I have Vibration like unbalanced tires but I just got my tires balanced and didnt change anything.

It happens between the speeds of 100-120km/h on the highway [bold]where can I check[/bold] if the recall work has been done on my 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan
    If I read this right, and you're asking where to check;
    Take your car to your dealer, and have them run your VIN #. They'll bring up any outstanding recalls and history on recalls.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these recalls covered by dealership?
    2013 White Hyundai Genesis coupe premium 2.0T - 3M clear hood wrap - window tint - LED licence plate lights -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast