Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Plasti-Dip on how to?

How to spray paint (using plasti dip)

Tools need:

- Cleaning solution (alcohol base)
    - 2 plasti dip cans ( Depending on large surface but safer to have 2, ½ a can will cover your hood)
    - Dry towel
    - Tape (paper base material or painters tape)
    - Your finger (Do not use your nails, you may end up scratching your paint when removing plasti dip) Best practice, rub plasti dip and roll the ends.
    - Trigger spray (optional)
    - News Paper

Why Plasti Dip? Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying, brushing or dipping (for this tutorial we will be using the spraying method). Plasti Dip protective coating is resistant to moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions; -30°F to 200°F.

Can it be removed? Yes! Plasti Dip can be removed.

How much will I need? For just doing what is being covered in this how to, you will only need one 14.5 ounce can. Even after I was done, I still had about a half of a can left.

Do I need to primer? No primer is necessary, I didn't use any, but I'm sure you can if you want to, and it wouldn't hurt anything.

Where can I buy Plasti Dip? I bought mine at Home Depot, but I'm sure you can find it at most other hardware stores, and maybe even auto parts stores.
    Let’s get started!

Just like any liquid paint, spray paint separates from the solvent after some time of standing around. (You will notice that for some cans the peas will not immediately fall down when turning it upside down after it has been standing around for several days.) The paint particles float to the bottom of the can, where they get aspirated by the pipe. This paint, which can now be much thicker, can clog caps (especially thin caps) very quickly.
    Cans really need to be shaken hard for about a minute before using. Holding it upside down gets the paint particles back into the liquid quicklier.

This is a basic rule. There is a little tube going to the bottom of the can. If you do not hold the can vertically, the tube may not reach the paint anymore, and everything you spray is propellant.

Step One: Clean

This one is pretty easy... CLEAN YOU’RE THE AREA OR ITEM THAT YOUR PLASTI DIPPING! Make sure to pay close attention to cleaning the area that we will be working on. FOR RIMS USE ALCOHOL BASE SOLUTIONS TO CLEAN ANY OIL. Let this dry!
    Optional Step:

After you have let your car sit for a little bit or Rims and dry, grab a leaf blower if you have one and blow off the front area of your car that you are spraying, why because it will take less than a minute to collect dust and make sure it is not a windy day. This is an optional step and doesn't have to be done but is recommended.

Stripe painting:

Using a painter’s tape, if you let it dry when pulling tape off you will strip your plati dip. Make sure it is still wet when pulling tape off and also pull away in an angle.

Step Two: Prep

Using Painters tape, tape off all around the areas. MAKE SURE you take your time with this step. After you get the "outline" done with the tape, cover ALL off the surrounding areas with newspaper and tape that down. MAKE SURE nothing is exposed, after every coat I was wiping those areas off, because they were catching over spray, so COVER IT ALL!

Step Three: Paint

Here is the fun part! Vigorously shake up your can of Plasti Dip, spray a little bit on the grass or on a newspaper, something to make sure it’s coming out nice and even. Hold the can approx. 6inches for small detail area or about 10inches larger area" away from the surface and spray in a horizontal sweeping smooth motion. You should start spraying while you are aimed over the newspaper and stop spraying once you have reached the newspaper on the opposite side. Continue this motion until you reach the bottom or the end, there is your first coat and your light coating!

Allow 10 to 20 minutes of dry time between applications.

Repeat step 3 for as many coats as you would like. I personally did 3 coats and third coat is more heavy than your first coating, but my suggestion is: If you live up north where you encounter more climate changes, I would suggest doing 4 coats because I’m sure ice and snow and all the stuff kicked up from the road will cause a little wear over time, and 1 more coat would help with that. I had my coating for 3 years now.

Thanks,

Reymando

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Plasti-Dip on how to?

It does take about 4 hours for the platidip to cure after application, but it looks amazing when it does. You can drive after applying it, but it would be best to stay back from drivers to avoid dirt/rocks/debris from sticking to the plastidip.

If anyone is looking for plastidip, I go down to Buffalo often and can get you a few cans at a cheaper price. PM me if your interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    Easy formula to remember for success when modding your car..
    no wife + no kids = no problems.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joedemarco View Post
    It does take about 4 hours for the platidip to cure after application, but it looks amazing when it does. You can drive after applying it, but it would be best to stay back from drivers to avoid dirt/rocks/debris from sticking to the plastidip.

If anyone is looking for plastidip, I go down to Buffalo often and can get you a few cans at a cheaper price. PM me if your interested.
    Normally its best to leave it over night!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just examples of plasti-dip with clear coat vs none clear coat (Plain)

With Clear Coat:

None Clear Coat:

Ride
    2007 Mazda 3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks
    #FREESHINGLEZ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that STI matted out using nothing but plasti dip???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terapr0 View Post
    Is that STI matted out using nothing but plasti dip???
    The lower half is all plasti dip and top half is normal paint.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reymando View Post
    The lower half is all plasti dip and top half is normal paint.
    Forgot to mention that is not a normal spray can of plasti dip. (spray gun using plasti-dip)

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice write-up.

Hoping to plasti-dip my emblems soon. Saw another write-up for specifically that, and seems pretty easy. Also thinking of plasti-dipping my steelies for next winter. I've seen a bunch of people on here plasti-dipping their alloy rims, but has anyone done steelies? Just curious to know if there's anything different you have to do, or any tips/suggestions/feedback. Pics of plasti-dipped steelies would be great too!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FD22 View Post
    Nice write-up.

Hoping to plasti-dip my emblems soon. Saw another write-up for specifically that, and seems pretty easy. Also thinking of plasti-dipping my steelies for next winter. I've seen a bunch of people on here plasti-dipping their alloy rims, but has anyone done steelies? Just curious to know if there's anything different you have to do, or any tips/suggestions/feedback. Pics of plasti-dipped steelies would be great too!
    Steelies is simple, make sure no rust and if so used rust remover first and completely dry it before applying plasti-dip. Do heavy coating on it at least 5 spays of plasti dip.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your planning on doing your car (Everything) This is way better than a can of plasti-dip, you can have more options in color as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The also have gold and silver for rims...

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And to removeeeee
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steelies is simple, make sure no rust and if so used rust remover first and completely dry it before applying plasti-dip. Do heavy coating on it at least 5 spays of plasti dip.
    Cool, thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a example of a spray gun vs spray can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Full Grip trigger with double leverage action provides effortless spray control and the Future Lock attachment ring makes attaching and removing twice as easy while fitting 100% of all standard spray cans.

2. Uniquely positions the relationship between the handle, trigger and spray can, providing greater balance while eliminating finger, wrist and forearm strain.

3. Design reduces SqueezeForce (the amount of pressure required to actuate a spray can's nozzle) by up to 80% compared to our competition.

4. Trigger spray designs, with their contoured, ergonomic gripping surfaces, correspond to the natural angles and positions of the fingers, hand, palm, wrist and forearm. With S-shaped curvature on their top sides, and triple curvatures along their opposing bottom sides, these unique, ergonomic surfaces are combined for increased user comfort and feature the 19 degree 'Bennett Bend' Neutral Wrist principle which essentially eliminates finger, hand, palm, wrist, and forearm strain and fatigue, while improving spraying accuracy and productivity.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this be useful as a protective coating? For example: I have a roof rack and one of those cargo 'bags' that is great for holding stuff but it sits right on the paint. Would a coat of Dip be durable enough to help protect the roof?
    Now: WedsSport, Dunlop, TechnaFit, AEM, Hawk, DBA, ApexCone, Racing Beat, Koni, AWR, SPC. Soon: Exedy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FD22 View Post
    Cool, thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Jack View Post
    Would this be useful as a protective coating? For example: I have a roof rack and one of those cargo 'bags' that is great for holding stuff but it sits right on the paint. Would a coat of Dip be durable enough to help protect the roof?
    This is strong enough that using spray car wash will not peel it off at all, need at lease 6 coatings but if any sharp objects like glass or blade it will cut it open. For an estimate how it will protect your car approx 80% from sand, stone chips, little objects. Dents is s different story...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what a plasti dip looks like for a full covered motorcycle:

This is what a fully covered car:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting lots of pm about power washing. I had my plasti dip for almost 3 years and winter, salt, mud and lots of car wash. It's hard to get it off, all it takes is a finger to rub it off and start peeling. Even peeled it will not come off by itself, it needs a lot of effort to pull it off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now about 10 years ago, I was into my hobby RC gas powered cars and speed boat which I am still hook on it. Looking for a type of protection to protect my plastic covers and found out about plasti dip. Back then it was going for around 8 dollars a can and now 20 plus in Home hardware, just to prove a point sales has gone up extremely and a lot more have been using this for protections and decals.

Buy one and try it out, nextmod is selling it a lot cheaper than home hardware.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to do this but that is your choice to do so, here's a video of plasti dip headlights.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got one of these and one of the best thing I ever got, very cheap too, the Zellers I went to was closing down so everything was 20% off on top of the 40% off.

1. Full Grip trigger with double leverage action provides effortless spray control and the Future Lock attachment ring makes attaching and removing twice as easy while fitting 100% of all standard spray cans.

2. Uniquely positions the relationship between the handle, trigger and spray can, providing greater balance while eliminating finger, wrist and forearm strain.

3. Design reduces SqueezeForce (the amount of pressure required to actuate a spray can's nozzle) by up to 80% compared to our competition.

4. Trigger spray designs, with their contoured, ergonomic gripping surfaces, correspond to the natural angles and positions of the fingers, hand, palm, wrist and forearm. With S-shaped curvature on their top sides, and triple curvatures along their opposing bottom sides, these unique, ergonomic surfaces are combined for increased user comfort and feature the 19 degree 'Bennett Bend' Neutral Wrist principle which essentially eliminates finger, hand, palm, wrist, and forearm strain and fatigue, while improving spraying accuracy and productivity.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronphan View Post
    Got one of these and one of the best thing I ever got, very cheap too, the Zellers I went to was closing down so everything was 20% off on top of the 40% off.
    Yes it is one of the best tool to use for spray painting from a can, better wrist control.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast