Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Wheel Hop Issue

Hey Guys,

So I'm at a lost,

I've read and read and read and read many posts and threads about this wheel hop issue with the M3 but for the life of me still cannot find out what is wrong with the 3. Just looking for some advice and maybe someone here as had the same issue and hopefully I'll be able to find a fix.

I drive an '04 3 hatch with 180k when I hit a bump my passenger side front wheel seems to like chatter and skip all over the road for a few seconds and then all is fine. Sometimes it makes the car pull to the right other times it makes it seem like I've lost total control. The car drives fine, perfectly staright with no pulling or anything like that but whether big bump or small that same thing happens just the chatter is not as severe. When I say chatter I don't mean like a rattling noise or anything just wheel hop on the passenger side only.

Note: My car has 4 brand new struts and springs which where installed 3-4 months ago. I am the second owner on this car which I recently purchased about 3 weeks ago from a family member who said the issue exsisted previously.

Now I've read about the motor mount issue on the passenger side where the hydraulic mount fails but my mount is fine and was replaced under warranty from what I know and can see from service records on the car and it looks fine as well no fluid leaking, tears or anything along thoose lines. I've also read about the issue with rust in the power steering lines. Now I think this maybe the culprit because I do get a small amount of wheel shaking on the highway between 90-100km/h but after that it smoothens out which I know is a known symptom from reading about the rust in the lines or could it be related to the general wheel hop issue related to the rear motor mount which I will be replacing this weekend just to eliminate the hop in gerneral but I'm looking for a cure to the hop on my passenger side because it is fairly dangerous when it hops alot.

I hope someone can chime in with some advice or where I should look ect.ect.

TM3 members your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

Regards,

MDGmazda

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wheel Hop Issue

I also forgot to add I know there is rust in the lines because the fluid is no longer clean and red it is a murky brownish black colour so I am wondering if this would be the culprit or is the the rear mount or maybe another issue that I cannot find with my search.

Thanks agian.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wheel Hop Issue

i would check the Rear motor mount as well
    Maybe look into an ETD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an engine torque damper that I wouldn't mind selling. Let me know if you want to go that route.

It completely eliminated wheel hop in my '07 2.3L when I had it installed. All my other mounts were stock at the time.

That said, I don't know if what you're experiencing is actually wheel hop but my offer stands. PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited by Zuluwun; 04-21-2012 at 01:46 PM.