Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

  1. #1
    Jr Member Akiba48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    533
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    So I test drove the Mazda 3 SkyActiv hatchback with an auto transmission today (thanks to homieG @ Avante Mazda ) and here are my impressions and the comparison between the old 2.0L MZR.

    The SkyActiv engine is butter smooth and feels very refined. Pretty quiet too.
    However, this car is slow. I'm not sure if it's because it's still using the break-in oil, but it felt really sluggish compared to the MZR.
    Under normal driving 40-60km/h, it will keep the revs well under 2000rpm. Not a bad thing considering their aim was to maximize fuel efficiency, I could definitely FEEL that it's gonna save MUCH more gas than the MZR that I'm driving.
    The 2.0L MZR, it feels a bit more peppy than your average family vehicle like the Civic or Corolla. The SkyActiv felt like it belonged with that average group. Heck, I got overtaken by at least 3 cars because of it's slow acceleration.

    I couldn't really try out the sport mode because I was driving in 40-60km/h zones. However, gear changes are much smoother than the old 5 speed.
    Not exactly a drawback, but it likes to jump to 2nd gear IMMEDIATELY. As the light turns green, I step on the gas...it felt like it was lugging something heavy because it just didn't move. You really need step on the gas to about 50% or more if you want to achieve a start like the MZR.

    Not sure if they adjusted anything on the suspension or it's just those leather seats, or I totally forgot the feeling of stock tires...ride felt softer and more comfortable.

    Nothing else to comment since everything else is more or less the same.

    Overall...if you're looking at fuel efficiency, SkyActiv is great.
    But if you don't care about that...it's the 2.0L or the 2.5L MZR.
    The car just felt boring...it felt NOTHING like the commercial
    Last edited by Akiba48; 04-25-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Yokohama ADVAN RS / Corksport SRI / Rally Armor / MS3 Spoiler / Eibach Pro-Kits / Some random strut bar / Ebay LED interior lights
    2010 Mazda3 GX CWP Hatch / 2016 Mazda6 GS-L JBM

  2. #2
    Newbie beyond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiba48 View Post
    So I test drove the Mazda 3 SkyActiv hatchback with an auto transmission today (thanks to homieG @ Avante Mazda ) and here are my impressions and the comparison between the old 2.0L MZR.

    The SkyActiv engine is butter smooth and feels very refined. Pretty quiet too.
    However, this car is slow. I'm not sure if it's because it's still using the break-in oil, but it felt really sluggish compared to the MZR.
    Under normal driving 40-60km/h, it will keep the revs well under 2000rpm. Not a bad thing considering their aim was to maximize fuel efficiency, I could definitely FEEL that it's gonna save MUCH more gas than the MZR that I'm driving.
    The 2.0L MZR, it feels a bit more peppy than your average family vehicle like the Civic or Corolla. The SkyActiv felt like it belonged with that average group. Heck, I got overtaken by at least 3 cars because of it's slow acceleration.

    I couldn't really try out the sport mode because I was driving in 40-60km/h zones. However, gear changes are much smoother than the old 5 speed.
    Not exactly a drawback, but it likes to jump to 2nd gear IMMEDIATELY. As the light turns green, I step on the gas...it felt like it was lugging something heavy because it just didn't move. You really need step on the gas to about 50% or more if you want to achieve a start like the MZR.

    Not sure if they adjusted anything on the suspension or it's just those leather seats, or I totally forgot the feeling of stock tires...ride felt softer and more comfortable.

    Nothing else to comment since everything else is more or less the same.

    Overall...if you're looking at fuel efficiency, SkyActiv is great.
    But if you don't care about that...it's the 2.0L or the 2.5L MZR.
    The car just felt boring...it felt NOTHING like the commercial
    I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents

    I have a SkyActiv w/ the 6 spd manual transmission. I never tested the auto so I wouldn't know anything about the transmission or the gearing...

    I agree w/ the OP that the car is slow. I mean, it doesn't feel like there's any torque at all under 2000 RPM's. However, if you push it past 3000 RPM, it feels like it comes alive a bit more. I'm not saying that it's fast. I'm just saying the "spirited driving" only comes in after 3000 RPM's. There's nothing in the low end at all. Whenever I need to pass anyone on the city streets, I usually have to downshift to 2nd to do so. On the highway, sometimes I need to downshift to 3rd or 4th to pass anyone. The torque in this car is pretty crappy lol. But in my opinion, if you want to have more fun, opt for the manual tranny and keep the revs above 3000.

    For me, I don't mind b/c I really like the gas saving benefits. And if I do want to have some fun, I'll just shift at higher RPM's

    Just my 2 cents

  3. #3
    Member sarujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Just out of curiosity, what RPM do you get with the 6MT when cruising on the HWY at 100km/hour in 6th?


    2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

  4. #4
    Newbie beyond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I'll double check next time I'm on the highway....I think it should be at around 2500 if I remember correctly

  5. #5
    Noob NOTLguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Niagara-on-the-Lake
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    My Mazda 3 Sport Sky runs at about 1800-1900 rpm with cruise control at 100 km/hr on the QEW.

    NOTLguy
    If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.

  6. #6
    Jr Member zmz3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Markham, Hamilton
    Age
    28
    Posts
    836
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
    My Mazda 3 Sport Sky runs at about 1800-1900 rpm with cruise control at 100 km/hr on the QEW.

    NOTLguy
    Awesome!

    This is great to hear. The Civics do 2000k rpm on 100km/h, I am happy to see Mazda improving on that. Fuel Efficiency and decent handling is coming together - at last

  7. #7
    Sponsor Aitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Posts
    7,654
    Thanks
    2,237
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I know what you mean about it feeling slow in auto mode under 2000rpms. Remember the car is built for fuel economy, so unless you tell it you want to go fast (mash the pedal for POWAAAAH) it doesn't give you much and keeps the revs low. Whenever I know I'm going to need to get going in a hurry (coming out of a driveway, changing lanes in stop-and-go traffic) I put it in M so it holds the gears in the appropriate rev ranges to get me going.

    I've said it before in a couple of places - my auto Skyactiv is about 90-95% as fun to drive as my manual 2007 GS (2.0L). The main difference is that I'm driving an auto which is great but still not as direct as the old standard transmission.

  8. #8
    Newbie beyond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I know what you mean about it feeling slow in auto mode under 2000rpms. Remember the car is built for fuel economy, so unless you tell it you want to go fast (mash the pedal for POWAAAAH) it doesn't give you much and keeps the revs low. Whenever I know I'm going to need to get going in a hurry (coming out of a driveway, changing lanes in stop-and-go traffic) I put it in M so it holds the gears in the appropriate rev ranges to get me going.

    I've said it before in a couple of places - my auto Skyactiv is about 90-95% as fun to drive as my manual 2007 GS (2.0L). The main difference is that I'm driving an auto which is great but still not as direct as the old standard transmission.
    Oh man, you don't miss the 3rd pedal? I had an Audi A3 before w/ the dual-clutch auto tranny...and while it was relatively fun to drive, I still missed the 3rd pedal...a lot...hahaha
    It'll be hard to go get another auto car again (for me anyways)

  9. #9
    Sponsor Aitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Posts
    7,654
    Thanks
    2,237
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Oh I definitely miss it, but it was a necessary sacrifice (easier for the wife to drive - no comments about her just learning manual either).

  10. #10
    bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Thanks
    4,260
    Thanked 673 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
    My Mazda 3 Sport Sky runs at about 1800-1900 rpm with cruise control at 100 km/hr on the QEW.

    NOTLguy
    how is yours so low? i read this and checked while driving home, and at 2000rpm im just over 90kph, about 2250 at 100kph. its a 2012 sky sedan manual

  11. #11
    Jr Member mParsonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    24
    Posts
    440
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    First 2012 I test drove was the auto SkyActiv.. I loved the car it just seemed so damn sluggish.. I never even test drove the auto MZR I just told them I wanted the 5spd MZR lol, never even test drove it before I purchased it, but its a real fun car.

  12. #12
    Noob NOTLguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Niagara-on-the-Lake
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by greyseason View Post
    how is yours so low? i read this and checked while driving home, and at 2000rpm im just over 90kph, about 2250 at 100kph. its a 2012 sky sedan manual
    Not sure why that is but I checked it again and in D - drive, it is about 1900 rpm at 100 km/hr.

  13. #13
    Affiliate - Whitby Mazda

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oshawa
    Age
    32
    Ride
    2009 Pontiac G5
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I believe the 6MT has closer ratio gearing to help those who want a more 'spirited' drive stay closer to the power band. Revs are higher at highway speeds as a result.

  14. #14
    Newbie beyond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    ^ explains why the auto is rated at a higher MPG then

  15. #15
    bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Thanks
    4,260
    Thanked 673 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    thanks guys. ill stick with the manual still averaging 40mpg. right now im at 5**km at half tank

  16. #16
    Newbie rgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    My automatic Skyactiv hatch revs at about 1800 at 100 kph. I have to get up close to 110 to get over 2000. I don't notice a lack of power but maybe that's because I'm coming from a Honda Fit. Much more power than that car. Every time I touch the pedal to pass it leaps ahead. So far very satisfying.
    Nova Scotia driven Skyblue 2012 Mazda3 Sport GS

  17. #17
    Jr Member Akiba48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    533
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by rgs View Post
    My automatic Skyactiv hatch revs at about 1800 at 100 kph. I have to get up close to 110 to get over 2000. I don't notice a lack of power but maybe that's because I'm coming from a Honda Fit. Much more power than that car. Every time I touch the pedal to pass it leaps ahead. So far very satisfying.
    Really? My first choice was a Honda Fit before I got the Mazda. I didn't feel that the Fit lacked power even though the engine specs were much lower. Because the car was light, it felt so much fun to drive. I chose the Mazda in the end because the price for a Honda Fit was just too absurd. Even as a second hand vehicle, resale value is pretty darn high for small car. Even until now, I still want a Honda Fit.

  18. #18
    Newbie rgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    The Mazda3 is far more powerful than the Honda Fit. Passing with the Fit was always suspensful, gas pedal pushed hard against the floor and hoping for the best. With the 3 it's just a touch of the pedal and the car takes off. And I get better gas mileage with the 3 than I got with the Fit even though the 3 is a much better cars. Believe me, you're lucky you didn't get the Fit.

  19. #19
    Jr Member Nova 3 GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Trois-Rivieres, QC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I'm surprised that the 2.0L Sky engine is a tad slower than the 2.3MZR which has exactly the same HP rating. Maybe the torque has something to do with it...Mmmm...
    馬自達 3 Sport GT 2006 - 27A (SOLD ) (2006-2015)

    CX-7 stubby - Axela badge - MS CAI - LED 3rd Brake Light - Full LED flasher conversion

  20. #20
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I would just like to add to not forget how much both 2.0L vehicles cost. You get what you pay for. As competitive as the compact segment is....that's just it...it's entry level. My gf and I share a 2012 GS sky sport and a 2010 Acura TSX with a V6 and obviously the TSX is has better acceleration among other performance enhancements but I do not feel the GS is "slow" by any means. The skyactiv was NOT designed to be a track car, so you have to keep things in perspective. Apples to apples, not apples to oranges. I think it is safe to assume most of the time people here are using their economy cars (Mazda 3s) as a means of transportation. In the city I feel this car is completely adequate, that red is probably going to stop me even if I was accelerating on the V6 over the 2.0L Sky. Assuming you are in urban city zones (40-60) those people overtaking you must have some pretty powerful vehicles or they are driving needlessly aggressive.

  21. #21
    bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Thanks
    4,260
    Thanked 673 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    I love my mazda3 sky with the 6M. Threw on a knew shifter knob,, and love the feel even more now. Im at 17k km and as my fuelly shows, the gas milage is no joke, but mine are almost completly highway driving
    Skyactiv Powa

    Corksport | Nextmod | Garage16 | Work | Razo | Tein | Audio Heaven | Broadway | Eurolight | Sony | Kicker | Alpine |

    "everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always"

  22. #22
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Quote Originally Posted by greyseason View Post
    thanks guys. ill stick with the manual still averaging 40mpg. right now im at 5**km at half tank
    Wow that really good. for my 05 2.0l at half a tank i'm at 350-370 range. On a full tank i get 650-700. If full high way around 740-760

    i do one tank 91 and two tank reg and than 91. I don't know if that matter.

  23. #23
    bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Thanks
    4,260
    Thanked 673 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    God bless sky activ


  24. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    no way ^^^ 260km and only 1 bar gone?

  25. #25
    bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Kitchener
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,263
    Thanks
    4,260
    Thanked 673 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: **For Future owners** 2.0L MZR vs 2.0L SkyActiv

    Yeah! But as soon as I started it up today it went down. To add, that was me driving gingerly with no AC on, but three trips up to 160. Might have been a little higher without that haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How To: Assemble A Forged MZR DISI Motor
    By BlueStreak in forum MazdaSpeed3 Modifications
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM
  2. Would a MZR Valvecover swap onto a MZ3 head?
    By Mty Mous in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM
  3. 2007 Mazda3 2.0 MZR-CD review
    By Lars in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 04:57 PM
  4. We do have a VVT kick off point on the MZR
    By profusion in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •