Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can - Everything you need to know

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oil Catch Can - Everything you need to know

This thread was created to provide basic and how to information on OCC as well as discussion or issues that may arise. Keeping all OCC discussion in one place benefits us all!

What is an Oil Catch Can?

An oil catch can is used in turbo applications, or high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve.

During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake.

Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.

*PICTURE IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY.*

Here's a pic of wha the OCC looks like on the inside to make it effective:

Install Links

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=131262.0

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-tons-of-pics.

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ons-pics-7216/

http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sup...structions.pdf

Things to Note

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    Guys, a few things.

- I wouldn't recommend making your own catch can unless you use proper materials. Making one out of beer cans creates the likelihood that it'll collapse when cruising in vacuum.
    Plastic is also out of the question because the oil/fuel mix will eat thru the plastic. Next thing you know, you're stuck on the side of the road with a massive air leak and have to take it out in order to get home. A few weeks ago, I emptied my catch can into a plastic cup and let it separate on a bench. An hour later, the contents of the cup were all over the floor with the bottom of the cup fused to the bench. If you use other plastics, it'll just delay the rate of decay of your setup. The end result is the same; massive air leak and a car that will run like crap or leave you stranded.

- This is for a MZ3, correct? I would say a check valve is not necessary. Your intakes do not see positive manifold pressure so it isn't needed. Chances are your crankcase already has a pcv valve. That will suffice.

- Get a catch can that is baffled. Cans with a simple in/out setup and no baffling internals are junk. Your intake manifold will still get coated in crap. I ran one temporarily before I got my Saikou Michi and my manifold looked like hell. All the work to clean my valves was lost in 6K KMs of driving. It happened that quick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    It was brought to my attention that when you install the outlet hose that dips below the actual outlet, it creates a spot where fluids may collect after the car cools and moisture/oil condensate.
    to prevent this, you must angle the outlet hosing slightly going higher than the outlet that it's leaving from. this way, when moisture in the system collects, it'll drain back into the catch can to be collected.
    Quote Originally Posted by fywdyl View Post
    Misc installation tips:

- Remove the dip stick. It'll give you way more room to work with.
    - (For gen2) When mounting the bracket to the car, use an open-ended 10mm wrench with some tape stuck to it to hold the nut in place, and then you can slip the wrench behind the mounting point
    a primary catch can is needed to catch blow-by going into the intake manifold and gunking up the intake valves.

a secondary catch can will help catch oil venting out of the valve cover which gets sent back thru the TIP/TIH.

most just run the primary catch can. but as you can see, there are benefits to running the second one as well.
    Install Review

Quote Originally Posted by Thrizzl3 View Post
    After reading up on how the Mazdaspeed 3 operates I realized that it would be a smart idea to install the Mspeed OCC kit. I did this to help protect my motor from harmful blow-by that can cause internal damage over time.

Seeing the steps to install this kit kind of made me think it's going to be a piece of cake..but some parts weren't..especially when it came to taking the clamps off. If you have skinny hands the install should take no longer than 1.5-2 hrs. My install took 2.5 hrs because i had a stubborn hose to remove but in the end i got it out.
    The provided hoses perfectly suit the application as well as the check valve which was updated with the elbow fitting on the end which proved to make the install 10x easier. Overall the install is pretty straight forward I'm sure the NATOR people can lend a hand if you are in need of assistance.

Pics of the installed product.

For those who are interested in buying a kit i highly recommend it as i've seen what is blown back into the intake tract.

- Phil
    Update

Quote Originally Posted by Thrizzl3 View Post
    So it has been 3 weeks or so since i have installed my catch can and i noticed that my lines started to show signs of oil flowing through them. I gave it some time before i chose to empty the catch can and here is what i seen...

all that crap was being blown into my intake system WTF!!!!!!! after 3 weeks??? so happy i got this catch can.

Thank you Mspeed!

Btw..i installed the catch can a few days after i got the oil changed. You won't notice any fluid flowing through until the oil has sheared down enough to come into the valve train.
    Last edited by Mr Wilson; 04-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Wilson For This Useful Post:

Fobio (06-21-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oil Catch Can - Everything you need to know

Thanks for great info
    - 2011 Crystal White Pearl Mazdaspeed 3 -
    - Street Tuned by MSpeed (Fobio) - Cobb SF SRI - Cobb TIH - Cobb DP - Denso ITV22 - Forge V2 BPV - Tanabe Strutbar - Buddy Club Voltage Condenser - Saikou-Michi OCC - Autotech HPFP Internals - CPe TMIC - CPe Stage 2 RMM - Redline Hood QuickLift Elite - Defi BF Gauges - Innovate DB Wideband Gauge - James Barone SSP+Bushing - ARC Titanium Shift Knob - Hawk HP+ - Stoptech SS lines - Swift Spec R Springs - Whiteline Rear Swaybar - Volk Racing RE30 18x8.5 - Project Kics R40 Neo Chrome -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet deal! Good job Mr. Wilson!

Misc installation tips:

- Remove the dip stick. It'll give you way more room to work with.
    - (For gen2) When mounting the bracket to the car, use an open-ended 10mm wrench with some tape stuck to it to hold the nut in place, and then you can slip the wrench behind the mounting point

p.s. Vote for sticky!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PM already sent. Sticky in the works.

good work, Paul.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYWDYL thanks for the info!

Is there anything else that is missing?

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet Paul! nice job!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job Mr Wilson!

+1 For Sticky
    2001 Mazda P5 Black - Sold
    2005 Mazda 3 GT Black - Sold

2007 MS3 Cosmic Blue Mica
    Cobb SF SRI - Cobb AP - Cobb TIH - CP-E TMIC - CP-E HPFP - CP-E DP - CP-E RMM(65A) - JBR TMM(80A) - Forge BPV - EGR Delete - SM OCC - Ford Full Synthetic MT Fluid - 225/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12's - TWM STS + bushings - 8000K HID Fogs - KY + Eibach Prokit Springs - JBR RSB - Rhoplate - Blue LED Interior lights - Black Weathertech liners - Blue SICKSPEED Horns - Blackvue DR400GHD
    TBI: Thermal TB and Intake Gasket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Paul, nice write up

Ride
    Vapour Trail
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome work Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff, gotta get this done with MSpeed next time I'm in T.O.
    Cobb/CPE/HKS/Forge/Advan/Project Kics/Eibach/Koni/JBR/Rally Armor/Parts Plaza/DDM

Ride
    Your Mom
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great summary. Very helpful.

I still haven't gotten around to getting an OCC for my car. My main concern is still with it freezing in the winter if I park my car outside for extended periods.

In the event that it does freeze: How will I know if it's frozen? What is the impact? How can it be thawed out?
    1999 Honda Civic SiR | Bolt-ons
    2010 Mazdaspeed3 | Cobb AP | Corksport SRI+TIP | Autotech HPFP | Magnaflow CBE

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoM View Post
    Great summary. Very helpful.

I still haven't gotten around to getting an OCC for my car. My main concern is still with it freezing in the winter if I park my car outside for extended periods.

In the event that it does freeze: How will I know if it's frozen? What is the impact? How can it be thawed out?
    as mentioned before, the OCC is located in your engine bay, and as the car heats up it should thaw out if for whatever reason it does freeze.

this is canada. adapt.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson, please feel free to cut and pasta the 2 diagrams from the Saikou-Michi GB. The 2 pics should illustrate to those that never attended the Ownership & Maintenance Seminar the beenfits of a properly designed catch can and how it'll address PERCEIVED issues such as "freezing".

Just curious...has anyone actually seen frozen oil? Frozen gasoline?

hmm.....

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson, please feel free to cut and pasta the 2 diagrams from the Saikou-Michi GB. The 2 pics should illustrate to those that never attended the Ownership & Maintenance Seminar the beenfits of a properly designed catch can and how it'll address PERCEIVED issues such as "freezing".

Just curious...has anyone actually seen frozen oil? Frozen gasoline?

hmm.....
    That's what I don't get...why would people think that liquids used in their engine in the dead of winter would magically freeze outside of the engine? The only tricky part would be draining the catch can if the oil was feeling thick, but then you can always just do it after the car has been running for a while or take a heat gun/hair drier and gently warm it up.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duck my.baby looked good
    Oh damn, that sucks. Oh well, I stopped reading the Speed section because according to certain people only speed owners are allowed to even look at that section.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson, please feel free to cut and pasta the 2 diagrams from the Saikou-Michi GB.
    Done.

Alex, RIP Gen 1 Unicorn

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    as mentioned before, the OCC is located in your engine bay, and as the car heats up it should thaw out if for whatever reason it does freeze.

this is canada. adapt.
    So to answer my questions:

How will I know it's frozen?
    --> I wont

What is the impact?
    --> None (?) Does it cause a blockage of some sort? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but will a frozen OCC cause a car to not be able to start?

How can it be thawed out?
    --> Engine bay will warm up and thaw it out

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool stuff Paul (Mr. Wilson)! Thanks for the write up and to all the contributors (Fobio, BlueStreak, Thrizzle3, fywdyl) and to MSpeed for organizing!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--> I wont

What is the impact?
    --> None (?) Does it cause a blockage of some sort? Sorry for my lack of knowledge but will a frozen OCC cause a car to not be able to start?

None of your questions nor answers are truly valid, when it comes to a superior designed OCC like the Saikou-Michi can...

Take in those glorious relief holes...they address 90% of your concerns.

If you don't drain your catch can, and let it fill past the outlet hose, then you'd deserve to deal with the consequences due to lack of care and owner negligence.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--> I wont

What is the impact?

1. The water vapor may freeze, however the water is suspended in oil, so i doubt it will even freeze.

2. A full catch can will operate as if you had no catch can at all. Nothing bad will happen to your motor. Yes it will be able to start no problem.

3. Yes you can thaw it out which is why the can is placed up against the rad hose as close as I could fit it with what the brackets and cans allow. Either way you should be changing your oil when warm as well as draining the can so don't worry about it.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos Wilson! kind of a noob question but is it required to have either a SRI or CAI to run a OCC?
    Mazdaspeedemon3's Ride

yo, i update my sig everyday with other peoples comments. son

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, just dependant on the location of the tubing for the CAI, the support for the can itself may have to be modified (not a big deal anyways).

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should pour that stuff from the OCC into a used tin can, stick it in the freezer overnight and see if it solidifies. I doubt a mixture of oil and fuel will turn into a solid at our winter temperatures.... I can see it happening in Siberia or some super cold ass place, but not here in the GTA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast