Thread: Oil Catch Can - Everything you need to know

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oil Catch Can - Everything you need to know

Where can i get a good kit? Whats the usual cost? I never realised the stuff that was floating around my motor....

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has come to my attention that cars that recently had their OCC serviced ran into problems afterwards.

A shop had problems with draining the gunk from the OCC [likely to due to infrequent drainings...or impatience] and apparently, the can itself was torched to loosen the gunk. As part of the procedure, the fittings and hosing were loosened but were not reassembled correctly. The result of this is the fittings/hosing would detach. The two instances I speak of, one was the day after, and the other happened two weeks later. Both instances were reported after a hot day of driving around town.

Both reported trouble with idling and low throttle. Both cars drove fine at normal cruising speeds.

The point of this post:

1. The orientation of the drainage nipple can be confusing. Always double check it's tightened after draining.
    2. The gunk in the OCC can be difficult if not drained regularly:
    a. Drain your can regularly
    b. You can stick a straw or even a thicker zip tie thru the bottom drain to loosen the gunk.
    c. TRY to avoid using a blow torch. If you do...be careful...contents are flammable.
    d. Remember to reattach all hoses and fittings.
    3. Feel free to bring this issue up with *ANY* shop that will service your OCC.
    4. It's easier to drain if the car's warm after a drive.

I hope this helps others.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:

BlueStreak (05-27-2014),greyseason (05-27-2014),MajesticBlueNTO (05-27-2014),Mr Wilson (05-27-2014),S.F.W. (05-27-2014),Thrizzl3 (05-27-2014)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these worthwhile on engines without turbos?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    I'd say Nope!

_3

bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    They can be beneficial on a DI motor
    Skyactiv Powa

Corksport | Nextmod | Garage16 | Work | Razo | Tein | Audio Heaven | Broadway | Eurolight | Sony | Kicker | Alpine |

"everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to greyseason For This Useful Post:

boyracer (07-07-2014)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all that work... I rather have the Mann-Hummel oil separator can and just plumb it back into the oil pan... no worries about draining it/heating it up/running out of oil in the motor
    the crap will get boiled off anyway... would you rather have less to no oil in the engine or always have basically full level?

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmi...nt_en_2013.pdf
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Ride
    2008 BMW 323i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leave it to me to ressurect a dead post , but my can is fkn frozen right now lmao I'm trying to let it idle to warm it up as my engine stays cold af when I drive and my bats are literally 15 when I step on it.. -23 right now..
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Ride
    C400
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a hair dryer to warm things up gently. Target the surroundings and let it warm up while parked in the garage, say 30 mins, then drain it. I have had bad experience with heat gun, I now take my sweet time.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miako For This Useful Post:

Fobio (01-08-2015),shift8 (01-08-2015)

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you drain your oil catch can at least every 2 weeks during the winter, you will not believe how much water and other crap is inside that can after only 15 days. I just cleaned my Saikou Michi oil catch can 2 weeks after an oil change, and it had enough crap inside to almost fill up a Tim Horton's L cup.

I also use a hair dryer to warm things up, I just blast it directly at the catch can for about 10 mins or so, then I open the valve up and lightly knock the can with my knuckles to get as much out as possible. I don't bother with a hose or any of that shit, too much ****ing work, just put a cup / bottom half of a milk carton under the can (sitting on the mud guard) and let it drain directly down into it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elusivellama For This Useful Post:

ecbehrens (02-24-2015),Fobio (02-16-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    Make sure you drain your oil catch can at least every 2 weeks during the winter, you will not believe how much water and other crap is inside that can after only 15 days. I just cleaned my Saikou Michi oil catch can 2 weeks after an oil change, and it had enough crap inside to almost fill up a Tim Horton's L cup.

I also use a hair dryer to warm things up, I just blast it directly at the catch can for about 10 mins or so, then I open the valve up and lightly knock the can with my knuckles to get as much out as possible. I don't bother with a hose or any of that shit, too much ****ing work, just put a cup / bottom half of a milk carton under the can (sitting on the mud guard) and let it drain directly down into it.
    Definitely second this. I installed the Corksport OCC on Dec 21st thinking I would be ok for at least a month of driving (I do about 20km a day). Around January 15th I noticed white smoke coming out the back intermittently and at first thought it was condensation. Checked the Can on the weekend and it was full and frozen with water. The line coming in was also backed up and frozen. Long story short it started building pressure and oil had to go somewhere. I warmed it up and emptied. 2 weeks later same issue but this time it was worse, as soon as I noticed it I went to check the catch can again, my Oil dip stick popped out and oil had come up and sprayed the engine bay. 2 weeks!! Catch can was full again with a little oil and a lot of frozen water.

I'm seriously debating taking the whole thing out but will probably keep it and checking it every two weeks. Will be easier to maintain and drain when its not -20C outside. I made a small 3" hole on the splash tray right under the can for easy access with an allen key to drain it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123