Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toyo Extensa AS vs Pirelli P4 vs Michelin Harmony

Hi all!

I'm looking for a new set of all season tires, which I probably will only use them for 3 seasons. I've narrowed it down to the three listed below and hoping for some feedback on which one is a better choice. I drive mostly city, average driver, looking for decent grip in dry and wet, as well as long tread life.

Toyo Extensa AS ($520/set all inclusive - $50 rebate = $470)
    Pirelli P4 ($530 - $40 rebate = $490)
    Michelin Harmony ($618 - $70 rebate = $548)

I had Toyo before, thought they were ok but the tread life is not great. I've never tried Pirelli/Michelin but heard good things about them. So if anyone can share their experience with them, that would be great! Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Toyo Extensa AS vs Pirelli P4 vs Michelin Harmony

I have shared your dilemma because I love all of those tire manufacturers. I've used those three brands over the years in different capacities. Although I haven't used those specific tire models I have run Michelin Pilots and Toyo Extensa HP. I have heard others swear by the Extensa AS, and agree that there are other tires with longer tread life, but I like Toyo for their reliability and performance. I don't like the Pirelli P4 due to the tread pattern it has. I like Michelins tread life and would feel confident of their capability to last long if your looking for durability as an average driver. I would prefer the Michelin Exalto Pilot A/S, but again that is not one of your selections. All good tire manufacturers, it comes down to that one characteristic that you want most out of a tire.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't used any of those models before but on my old 3 I had Tokyo proxies 4 and the performance was excellent! They only last 3 years. I have heard that the michelins are great.
    2011 Mazda 3 GS Hatch Black (My 2nd Mazda 3) / Garage Vary Valiant Grill / 6000k HID Low Beams / LED Projector Fogs / LED Reverse Lights / LED Interior Lights Package / LED Projector Rear Brake Lights /LED Licence Plate / HVAC Dial Mod / Blue LED Footwell & Cupholders / 35% Front & 20% Rear Tint / Plasti Dip Badges /Glossy Black 18" RX8 rims with Nankang NS II tires / Blue Brake calipers

Pioneer Audio Upgrade / AVH-P4400BH 7" Touch Screen Double Din / TS-A1604C Front Comps / TS-6874R Rear / TS-SWX251 10" Preloaded Shallow Mount Sub / GM-D7500M Mono Amp

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know they are pricey but go with the Michelin. Best tire and you will not regret it.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont buy SlipPirellis..
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for your input! I've decided on the Michelin, looking forward to putting it on over the weekend and try out the new tires!

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go the Pirelli P4 over the others. The Harmoney is fine, but not worth the added cost IMHO.

The Toyo is also good, but I prefer the Pirelli. The P4 is the best tire they have. The P6 is junk.

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran the Extensa HP's as my last set on the Speed.. They were awesome. They hooked phenomenally well, no squeal, very comfortable and not too stiff, very quiet on the highway (I drove to Florida on them too, so I had a better experience overall), and in the rain they were flawless. They were 225/40/18.. def. do not hesitate to go this route.

The Harmony is a straight-up comfort tire. My dad has them on his LS430, so you can understand where I'm going with this one..

Pirelli's are crap from my experience. My old Cobalt SS/SC had them.. horrible in everything. Dry, rain, no hook, just garbage.
    Moe
    From the South- Windsor
    Windsor Mazda Service Advisor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- SOLD but not forgotten
    2016 SWP Mazda6 GT 6-MT- DAILY

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the AS and HP are different. The Harmoney is solid, and your Cobalt did not have P4s on it

Pirelli P6 and most of its OEM tires suck. Same with most companies... OEM /= Retail.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Yeah, the AS and HP are different. The Harmoney is solid, and your Cobalt did not have P4s on it

Pirelli P6 and most of its OEM tires suck. Same with most companies... OEM /= Retail.
    No doubt.. the Cobalt had the Pirelli P Zerio Rosso Asimmetrico's.. SHIT.. most shit tire..