Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are coil springs covered under warranty?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are coil springs covered under warranty?

I have a rear coil spring that apparently broke off a bit. Needs to be replaced. Wondering if this is something that is supposed to be covered under warranty or is it considered to be "wear and tear"?

P.S. Anyone wanna sell me their rear springs? Maybe you upgraded yours and they are just laying around the garage, wasting space? I have 2008.5 Mazda3 GT.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Are coil springs covered under warranty?

Springs shouldn't break...I'd try to get it warrantied. Call up your dealer.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as you're under the 3yr/80,000km mark then you should be fine getting it replaced under warranty.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    As long as you're under the 3yr/80,000km mark then you should be fine getting it replaced under warranty.
    I have extended warranty, but apparently broken springs are "wear and tear" according to the dealer (I just called). I am not an expert, but it doesn't sound right when the springs break...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moltar View Post
    I have extended warranty, but apparently broken springs are "wear and tear" according to the dealer (I just called). I am not an expert, but it doesn't sound right when the springs break...
    Call a different dealer lol

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

talk to Flipdaddy at MOT

he's telling you it should be covered, so you should be talking to him

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    talk to Flipdaddy at MOT

he's telling you it should be covered, so you should be talking to him
    +1...lol @ BROKEN springs being wear and tear. If they were rusty or worn I'd understand...but broken? How does someone wear their springs until they break while still in their warranty period?
    Got a variety of OEM Mazda 3 parts that need to go, thread coming soon, PM me for details!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if your car is not lowered or the suspension modified in anyway ( depending on your extended warranty ) i wouldnt see why the springs wouldnt be covered. is it a Mapp warranty plan?

best thing would be for of course the dealer to inspect the springs and see why they may be broken and send a ticket if it is a Mapp plan to find out if they are covered under your extended warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called the original dealer I bought it from (in Ottawa), they told me that they'll look into this tomorrow and call me back. The one I called today was the Toronto one where I went once (near Yonge & Steeles).

And, yes, it's a MAPP NC6120. The plan states that everything is covered exactly the same as in the normal warrany, except for ... "wear and tear". But wear and tear is a pretty loose definition. And that's where I can't get a straight answer. It doesn't sound like breaking a spring is considered to be wear and tear, however, I do have a biased opinion

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I called the original dealer I bought it from (in Ottawa), they told me that they'll look into this tomorrow and call me back. The one I called today was the Toronto one where I went once (near Yonge & Steeles).

And, yes, it's a MAPP NC6120. The plan states that everything is covered exactly the same as in the normal warrany, except for ... "wear and tear". But wear and tear is a pretty loose definition. And that's where I can't get a straight answer. It doesn't sound like breaking a spring is considered to be wear and tear, however, I do have a biased opinion
    Was it South of Steeles, on the East side of Yonge? If so, you were talking to the same dealership Flipdady works for...but obviously not talking to him, lol. I'd PM the guy if I were you.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, south of Steeles, with phone number ending in 7s. I talked to some Asian sounding gentleman. I accidentally hanged up on him, and didn't call back. Hopefully it wasn't Flipdady :/

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, south of Steeles, with phone number ending in 7s. I talked to some Asian sounding gentleman. I accidentally hanged up on him, and didn't call back. Hopefully it wasn't Flipdady :/
    6167 Yonge St Toronto, ON M2M 2M6
    (416) 642-7777

-

Sounds like MOT to me...either Flipdady just put his foot in his mouth, or you were talking to someone else.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if the wear and tear exlusion is true.. then nothing under your extended plan because as soon as you drove it off the lot it was wearing and tearing. with the exception of brakes and clutches i couldnt see how the springs wouldnt be covered. mind you they could still look at it and send a ticket to your extended plan to see if it is covered.

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you give a picture of the broken spring? Maybe that will help us more. But from the sounds of it you should be covered. Springs do not break. The only issue you may have is if you didn't attend all your service intervals then they may not honor the warrantee, as service intervals are considered "Preventative Maintenance"

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krimsalt View Post
    Can you give a picture of the broken spring? Maybe that will help us more. But from the sounds of it you should be covered. Springs do not break. The only issue you may have is if you didn't attend all your service intervals then they may not honor the warrantee, as service intervals are considered "Preventative Maintenance"
    thats not true actually. an oil change wouldnt effect warranty on suspension if there was an engine problem and the service or proof of maint could not be supplied then yes that may be declined then, and even seeing a picture and knowing the policy i wouldnt be able to say 100% it would be covered as i to would send it to the mapp plan for them to say yes or no.

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    thats not true actually. an oil change wouldnt effect warranty on suspension if there was an engine problem and the service or proof of maint could not be supplied then yes that may be declined then, and even seeing a picture and knowing the policy i wouldnt be able to say 100% it would be covered as i to would send it to the mapp plan for them to say yes or no.
    Yea thats true, but most of those "service intervals" say they do things like "suspention and tire checks" just so that when you miss one and you come back, they say they could have caught the problem earlier in a service interval when they (if they actually) inspect the car. Even though its not necessarily true that they would catch something ahead of time like that - its just ways to sell people warrantees than not honor them in the future..

Though it does depend on the dealership - there is a reason when I need stuff I drive all the way to MoT (passed almost 3 closer dealerships). It's because their service is a lot more honest I find, so they perhaps may still honor the warrantee

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWB View Post
    (416) 642-7777

-

Sounds like MOT to me...either Flipdady just put his foot in his mouth, or you were talking to someone else.
    That wasn't Joe he spoke to. Probably someone in Service, Joe is in Parts.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea thats true, but most of those "service intervals" say they do things like "suspention and tire checks" just so that when you miss one and you come back, they say they could have caught the problem earlier in a service interval when they (if they actually) inspect the car. Even though its not necessarily true that they would catch something ahead of time like that - its just ways to sell people warrantees than not honor them in the future..

Though it does depend on the dealership - there is a reason when I need stuff I drive all the way to MoT (passed almost 3 closer dealerships). It's because their service is a lot more honest I find, so they perhaps may still honor the warrantee
    wow, ok i didnt know you work at a mazda dealership too. this is not true. unless there is proof for lack of maintenance on the suspension components ( which no service calls for less an inspection) i would be hard pressed if these items are covered under there plan regardless if they serviced at mazda for every oil change, another shop or not at all that they would decline coverage of them for " lack of maintenance". yes you could notice if the spring was broken earlier, but it would be hard to find it out ealier if it happened between services.

i do think every dealer should handle a warranty the same, but that of course is not the case. but like i said. go to the dealer have them inspect the vehicle, and send a MAPP ticket for the springs, there may be an inspection charge if not covered so ask them that as well.

and as i said before, if you had an engine failure yes you would be asked to show proof of maintenance for an engine claim, but for suspension there is no maintenance on the springs.

Springs do not break.
    yes they do, i have seen my fair share of broken springs, and if the OP has a broken spring.. they do break.

jusy my

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok stop listening to everyone else and listen to ppl that actually work at mazda AKA FLIPDADDY and BOOTER22 , they know what goin on especially john ,my springs broke and i was 2000kms away from my extended warranty and john still helped me out !

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ottawa dealer, where I bought the car, talked to Iliaf (sp?) and he concluded that broken springs are covered. However, the MOT told me that they cannot say for sure unless they inspect it. Makes sense. Bringing it in on Monday to take a look.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, another question on the same topic. If they do indeed replace the spring, will they be replacing both? I've read somewhere online, that it's usually a good practice to replace both, but not sure if they'll do it, since they will probably be doing this under warranty, and would like to cut costs.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, another question on the same topic. If they do indeed replace the spring, will they be replacing both? I've read somewhere online, that it's usually a good practice to replace both, but not sure if they'll do it, since they will probably be doing this under warranty, and would like to cut costs.
    its 50/50. if the dealer inspecting the vehicle finds one broken and the other ok, yes warranty may only cover the broken spring, however the dealer could request to replace the not broken spring under warranty as there is a high chance the ride quality may be different from the new and used spring.

but generally yes it is a good practice to replace springs or shocks / struts in pairs.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWB View Post
    (416) 642-7777

-

Please stop talking if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Of course it's MOT and there is no way they spoke to Joe regarding this issue. Even if they did, it's not his call in the end anyway so get your stuff straight.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally thank you! listen to cwp sedan if u want right info call mazda! and bring it in

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brought it to MOT today. The verdict is that it is replaceable under warranty, but just the broken one. Is it going to create a problem that only one spring is being replace? What if the other one is worn out and it's gonna throw the car off balance. I have just over 100k on it, and nothing suspension wise has been fixed or replaced yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast