Thread: Fuel not filling past Full

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fuel not filling past Full

Hi,

I noticed recently that when I fill up my tank it doesnt go past 'Full', just hits the line now..usually it goes past the Full and gives a few more litres past it. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Also in general I feel like the fuel efficiency isn't what it used to be..

2004 3 2.0

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fuel not filling past Full

Maybe your gas tank is full of blocks of cocaine?

Been to Mexico recently?

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few possibilities. First and most likely is sand buildup from using crappy(er) gas, the pressure builds up to quickly because air volume is weakened, and the pump kicks off early. Judging by the year of the car it is possible. If this was a gradual occurrence than this is the most likely.

Second, is it IS full, but the float is not properly calibrated (if these gas tanks still have floats)

Third is what Loki said lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks if it is indeed the first scenario how do I go about fixing it? Thanks

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time your putting gas in try this... As soon as it stops pull the hose out a bit and then starting filling again.

The 04 models must be different then the 08 models... Once full I can not put any more gas in... If try to round it to the next dollar it spills.
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually noticed this same exact issue with my '05 2.3L as well. Doesn't happen all of the time though. Not sure of the quality of gas the previous owner was putting in, but since I've had it for a couple months now, I've been consistent with Shell Bronze, and I still notice this happening often times.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be the pumps you're filling up at... are you also going to the same stations? From what I (think) i understand, some pumps will shut off sooner than others... as an extreme, you know sometimes you get those pumps that shut themselves off every couple seconds... thats because the vacuum hole is screwed up a bit.

More likely though, its what krimsalt said.

....But why do you even care? Gas is going in your car. Hell, worst case scenario, LESS gas is going in your car, and you save yourself a buck or two every time you go to the gas station lol
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff in the tank (sand, crap, blocks of coke) shouldn't affect when the pump shuts off. The only thing that affects when the pump shuts off is the pump itself. (Or, the very unlikely event that some how the filler neck is bent...)

Alternatively, the fuel gauge sender unit is no good. That's also possible (but more likely to just die or not move rather than lie a little bit).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Next time your putting gas in try this... As soon as it stops pull the hose out a bit and then starting filling again.

The 04 models must be different then the 08 models... Once full I can not put any more gas in... If try to round it to the next dollar it spills.
    yeah that happened to me as well. Once it fills it will stop pumping automatically but u can still keep going with short bursts but it will eventually start overflowing

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2021 View Post
    thanks if it is indeed the first scenario how do I go about fixing it? Thanks
    You would need the gas tank to be removed and the sand poured out from the socket where the fuel pump goes in

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pump slower. When you get near the top of your fuel-fill slow it down. When it clicks off, give the car a shake and try filling somemore, but SLOW. I seem to remember reading an issue with the fuel filler pipe vent pipe or hose getting air trapped in it. Or try different pumps, there is one pump at the station I use all the time, that will fill my tank better then the rest, it's worth a shot...Thats what I can suggest. I seriously don't think sand in the tank would even exist to any extent to effect filling.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 05-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've just discovered that my main problem at gas stations is that I pump too fast and don't shake my car

So let's just pretend for a moment that this thread had a point..

are you concerned that you can't get an extra litre or two of fuel in your tank? or that your fuel economy is actually deteriorating on your 8 year old car? You concerned that when your tank is full of gas, the needle actually shows that it's full...i.e. on the line?

Car is just getting old man. Like a pair of fine titties, one day there comes a point when you're better off jerking off to an elbow. At least an elbow stays firm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said sir^

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys even understand why I mentioned shaking the car? I would guess from your replies you don't have a clue. Remember the OP mentioned his tank would always read above full before and now it will not read passed the full mark? What could cause this you may wonder, but at the same time he is stating he cannot manage to get anymore gas in after it clicks off. There can be several reasons for this and one is air trapped in the vent hose...Do you degenerates even know what that is? Shaking the vehicle can help displace trapped air in the vent or filler pipe...This is not new and the car getting old is one of those retard "I don't have a clue about cars" statements....and no loki, or loko you won't see me shaking my car as I haven't experienced the issue. Also on the topic of a thread having a point; if you don't understand the point, like I said to curly there, try refraining from commenting at all. I think the issue has a point to the OP, who are you to make judgment.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not that we don't understand

we just don't care

but I do enjoy reading your comments

_ L

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    It's not that we don't understand

we just don't care

but I do enjoy reading your comments

_ L
    Well if you don't care at all, or care to help the situation. Why are you commenting at all. You just like trolling your time away? I'm glad you like reading my comments, maybe if you cared to actually listen you might learn something.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Well if you don't care at all, or care to help the situation. Why are you commenting at all. You just like trolling your time away? I'm glad you like reading my comments, maybe if you cared to actually listen you might learn something.

_3

who says I'm not listening?

edit: ok I'm not listening. you use the word retard too much. Am I really supposed to take you seriously?

There was absolutely no real useful information in the original post. Ok so the needle doesn't go past full anymore? so what....so you shake the car and displace trapped air in the vent hose. Then he gets to put his extra 2 litres back in the car again? so what...

Also, he thinks that the fuel economy may not be as good as it used to be? But you don't think the car being older has anything to do with that, since a car will run the same way it did from the day it's first started.

Maybe his brake calipers are slightly seized and are constantly a bit engaged which would affect his fuel economy. Maybe he has just been driving in the city alot recently.

OR

maybe the car is just getting old.
    Last edited by loki; 05-14-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned up for the most part. Stay on topic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its properly the float in your tank wears out

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh, this thread needs to get locked, not cleaned up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    who says I'm not listening?

edit: ok I'm not listening. you use the word retard too much. Am I really supposed to take you seriously?

There was absolutely no real useful information in the original post. Ok so the needle doesn't go past full anymore? so what....so you shake the car and displace trapped air in the vent hose. Then he gets to put his extra 2 litres back in the car again? so what...

Also, he thinks that the fuel economy may not be as good as it used to be? But you don't think the car being older has anything to do with that, since a car will run the same way it did from the day it's first started.

Maybe his brake calipers are slightly seized and are constantly a bit engaged which would affect his fuel economy. Maybe he has just been driving in the city alot recently.

OR

maybe the car is just getting old.
    Well it seems to me you think things that may not be important to you should not be important to others...thats just being ignorant. You definately never worked at customer service, especially in the auto industry, or if you have, I doubt you'd have been any good. Ever 'think' there could be a bigger issue why his guage doesn't read properly? ...Secondly, there can be a hundred reasons a cars fuel economy goes down and unlikely it's just because the car is old, maybe because it's not well maintained, but not because it's 'OLD'. How many cars have you driven to a ripe age I wonder, from your comment, I would suspect none. Didn't your parents ever teach you; "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing"? That can go along with "If you have nothing helpful to say" also.

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Ever 'think' there could be a bigger issue why his guage doesn't read properly? ...Secondly, there can be a hundred reasons a cars fuel economy goes down and unlikely it's just because the car is old, maybe because it's not well maintained, but not because it's 'OLD'. _3
    even this is slightly incorrect. its not that his gauge is not reading properly.. the tank is full the gauge is at full. simple concept. yes in my old car you could stretch it a bit ( next to nothing ) over the fill line. but what did that take 1-2 to a max of 5L to get there? is it a good idea to fill your fuel tank up that much.. no because then that excess fuel can make its way to the purge canister which in turn of course is no good.

maybe this is why mazda went with digital bars.. to save the fight for this over fuel question. once its full you get a full bar. end of story. but it seems to me like everything is working. gauge is getting to full. so it doesnt go a 1/8th tick over the "F" is that really important.. maybe the gauge was never there and the seat was at a different angle and it only looked that way. who knows..

gas gauge goes empty you fill it up. goes to full and you go on your way. is this really that important to argue about.. no. not to mention the OP has not been on TM3 since may so im sure they are not to worried about the answers to there question.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Of course I don't work in customer service

That's obvious

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this was really that big of a concern for the OP or anyone really, the easiest thing to do (IMO) would be to monitor the mileage that you can get out of a tank, regardless of how "full" the fuel gauge is.

If you had been monitoring it before the issue began and you got say 500km on a tank, and now after this problem started and you only got 450km on a tank provided it was the same type of driving done, then you can say there really is a problem.

Even if you just keep track of how many kilometers you get out of the tank now, and it is still reasonable then leave it alone. If you don't get as much out of a tank, then look further into the problem. You should have some actual facts before you get too concerned about it. Not rocket science...