Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wheel Weights "Fell off"

Hey,

I had my car parked out side and it seems the heat or something caused one of the wheel wieght sets to fall off. Is there an easy DIY to put them back or do they have to be in a certain spot and should I just take it back to the place I got it done or to just a CT.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have to be in a specific spot. Just bring it into any shop and have them balance the one rim

Should onl cost about $10-$15

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wheel Weights "Fell off"

Heh well if u can see the sticky residue from where they were, and you wrote down how much weight was there you can DIY very easily haha
    I'm assuming you didn't though.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't bring it to a CT, they somehow manage to screw up even small easy things like that. I just don't personally trust them to do anything on cars.

There are quite a few wheel and tire sponsors on here (Simply Tire, Tires23, etc.) who have excellent reviews. If you're close to one of them, you could check them out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lactose View Post
    Hey,

I had my car parked out side and it seems the heat or something caused one of the wheel wieght sets to fall off. Is there an easy DIY to put them back or do they have to be in a certain spot and should I just take it back to the place I got it done or to just a CT.

Thanks
    Take it back to where you had it done. They are 'most-likely' responsible for the fact the weights came off. Probably didn't clean the rim area properly before sticking them on. Depending on how long ago it was, they should re-balance the wheel no charge.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 05-21-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Take it back to where you had it done. They are 'most-likely' responsible for the fact the weights came off. Probably didn't clean the rim area properly before sticking them on. Depending on how long ago it was, they should re-balance the wheel no charge.

_3
    I would go to back to Simply, but it's kinda far and I'd only be able to get there on sat/sun. I'll see if there are any other stores around here that aren't CT.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lactose View Post
    I would go to back to Simply, but it's kinda far and I'd only be able to get there on sat/sun. I'll see if there are any other stores around here that aren't CT.

Thanks.
    Balancing a wheel is not rocket science. I see no reason to not expect CT to do a good job, especially if they have one of the newer balancing machines. I've taken my previous car to the CT around the corner and never had an issue with their tire balancing. But it's up to you.

_3

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balancing a wheel is not rocket science. I see no reason to not expect CT to do a good job, especially if they have one of the newer balancing machines. I've taken my previous car to the CT around the corner and never had an issue with their tire balancing. But it's up to you.

_3
    Lol I've seen a tech at CT screw up a simple oil change by butchering the threads on the drain plug. The reason they were mangled? He zipped the plug in with an impact gun lmao!

So I don't trust them to do anything right. But that doesn't mean every single tech who works at every single Canadian Tire is an idiot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes08M3 View Post
    Lol I've seen a tech at CT screw up a simple oil change by butchering the threads on the drain plug. The reason they were mangled? He zipped the plug in with an impact gun lmao!

So I don't trust them to do anything right. But that doesn't mean every single tech who works at every single Canadian Tire is an idiot.
    You think CT is the only shop to ever have crap like that happen? I'll bet there isn't a shop in existence that doesn't have a few stories like that. Every shop has beginners and yes the odd idiots, it's not exclusive.

_3

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think CT is the only shop to ever have crap like that happen? I'll bet there isn't a shop in existence that doesn't have a few stories like that. Every shop has beginners and yes the odd idiots, it's not exclusive.

_3
    Agreed. That's why I'd much prefer to do all work on my car myself.

Beginners make mistakes and sometimes they aren't caught and some experts cut corners and don't do things 100%. Even at dealerships, especially if the techs are flat rate. Then there's the guys who do excellent work and are very thorough and will stand behind the job they do. Hard to find guys like that but it's nice to find someone who cares about cars and the job they do.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with flagrum_3.

Last September I took my factory rims to candian tire to have them de mounted and cleaned and rebalanced at Canadian tire did an excellent job. They were $15 per rim... They were the cheapest that's why I went.

The Mazda dealer was the one who originally installed my winters tires on my factory rim.
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Sponsor - Linwood Motor krimsalt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every shop has beginners and yes the odd idiots, it's not exclusive.

_3
    lol, CT hires fresh college students, or worse - co-op college students.. 90% of all mechanic students think their the top-dog in mechanic work because they can label the inside of an engine, but they are afraid to fricken get greasy. But yea, often other shops get the odd freshman here and there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krimsalt View Post
    lol, CT hires fresh college students, or worse - co-op college students.. 90% of all mechanic students think their the top-dog in mechanic work because they can label the inside of an engine, but they are afraid to fricken get greasy. But yea, often other shops get the odd freshman here and there
    Hey EVERYONE has to start somewhere....But we are talking balancing here, not an engine rebuild. Most shops nowadays have computerized balancing machines, they are basically 'Dummy-Proof'. They even tell you where to put the weights and how much lol, a far cry from the old bubble eye-glass balancing machines LOL...those took skill. A kid fresh from college can perfect balancing after a couple of shifts they are that simple to use.

_3