Thread: HOW TO: AUXmod for free!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: HOW TO: AUXmod for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Ogata View Post
    Do you retain the steering wheel controls like switching the track when you plug anything into AUX?
    No, you're just hooking a headphone jack to your car essentially and using your car speakers as the 'headphones'. As far as I know there may be a few expensive products (well over 100$?) that *may* let you do that via adding a USB connection.... but I'm not sure.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    There are quite a few people reporting on M3Q it worked on their 05's.
    Source link?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Source link?
    Maybe i exaggerated the 'quite a few' but it has been done lol... but it has been done. For example:

Link to M3Q
    J'ai juste faite des 2005-2006...Mais j'aimerais essayer sur une 2004 pour voir c'est quoi le problem que le monde dise...
    Link to thread @ Ottawa Mazda

Its a really easy looking mod, should be easy enough for people to try out to confirm if it works or not. For electrical stuff, I have noticed that it is typical for one or two people to report something doesn't work (Indy fogs with factory HIDs) and it causes everyone in the continent to believe it isn't possible... when in reality, they both just made mistakes and didnt troubleshoot (this actually did happen).

How many times do you install something yourself, and everything is perfect first time?
    Last edited by Cab0oze; 06-06-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is now the first of many How-Tos that will have the images hosted on TM3 so the images will never break. It will take some time but we are starting to convert things over.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried to add this to my 05 3

I made the cord. Confirmed continuity between the three wires. Installed in on the pins and tried the tape/md button and got no response. Upon reading this again, perhaps pushing the SAT button will work. I did look thru the manual and didn't see anything about a media button. I was hoping that the md button was for media. instead of mini disk. Although like i said i still have faith.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    I would pay somebody $10 ($20 if it's soldered and shrink wrapped) to make this for me. I don't have an old computer to break apart. I do have an old set of headphones that have the 3.5mm jack though

Somebody PLEASE?
    Hey Eric, if you still want one, I can sell you one. Shrink wrapped and everything.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    Hey Eric, if you still want one, I can sell you one. Shrink wrapped and everything.
    I would...if it worked LOL
    but consensus looks like it wont on the 05

Thanks though.
    Have you tried this on yours yet?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Negative for my car

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone edit my first post so put a big '?' mark beside the dates? Seems to be hit and miss. Just need to find out why exactly it works on some and not others. Some people got it to work, others didn't =/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh so this got bumped on M3F (I'd never seen it before). In theory, it should work on any radio with a CD player, but the instructions may be slightly different. So - for the purpose of having as much information as possible in this thread, here is this option:

[Note, the ipodrx8 site has good pictures, may be helpful]

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mo (M3F)
    Jason’s aux audio input to the Mazda stock head unit without soldering

I finished the aux input hack that was discussed earlier with soldering wires to the circuit board of the head unit. http://www.whatsmyip.org/ipodrx8/ and http://mymazda3.patricktam.net/project_aux_input.asp
    After finishing soldering I figured out an easy way to connect the wires without soldering. So here is a non-soldering aux input hack. This will be of interest to people who are not comfortable soldering. Follow all the steps in the original hack to get to the circuit board for the audio connector for the cd player.
    The non-solder hack
    This hack requires a little more disassembly. Unscrew two screws along the side where the audio connector is which holds the main circuit board down and two screws along the side to allow you to remove the small cd connector circuit board from the main circuit board. There is a white connector with 15 pins that pass the signals through to the main circuit board. This connector is what will allow attaching wires to the audio channels. The main board side of the connector has holes to accept the pins from the cd connector circuit board. Small wires can be inserted into the holes for the right, left channel and the sound ground. Reassemble the cd connector circuit board to the main board. The white connector with pins is pressed into the connector with holes and will make contact with the wires in the holes. The wires will stay in place by being sandwiched between the two pieces of the white connector.

Finishing up
    It is a good idea to use an ohm meter to make sure you have contact between all contacts before putting everything together and finding out after it is reinstalled that a wire is loose or not connected. Reassemble; don’t forget to screw the circuit board back down before reassembling.
    Aux input is wired up!
    The wires inserted in to the connector holes need to be small enough to allow the pins to fit along with them in the holes and so the connector closes enough to make contact through the connector. I used stranded 22-gage wire, which could deform around the pins and it worked. I fed these pieces of wire to the bottom of the head unit where I attached the cable cannibalized from a pair of headphones I was not using.

Now you have an aux input for free with no soldering.

Optional variations
    The hacks described so far requires a cd of silence to play while using the aux input and it has been mentioned that the audio levels are reduced with both the audio signal from the cd player and aux input running at the same time.
    The solution
    A switch can be added to disconnect the audio signal from the cd player and connect the audio signal for the aux input resulting in clean audio at normal sound levels that works with any cd not just a silent one.
    I came across the hack that was used for an external cd player at the following web page http://www.mattgilbert.net/carstereoauxinput
    Since the cd player of the Mazda is integrated into the head unit it didn’t seem possible to apply this hack.
    I figured out a way to do it.
    Switch audio with an integrated cd player
    This hack combines the original soldering hack and the non-soldering hack. One set of audio signals for the cd player will come out at the soldering point. Wires that come from the aux input jack will be the other set of audio that will be at the second position of the switch. Wires inserted into the holes of the white connector between the main board and the cd connector circuit board will serve as the wires that will carry the selected audio signals to the head unit.
    Where to create a break in the signal path?
    In order for the signal to switch back and forth between the two sources, a break in the original signal path needs to be implemented. I thought about scratching off the trace on the circuit board but I wanted something that could be reversed and non destructive. This lead me back to the white connector with the pins. I bent over the pin associated with the audio signal lines that I wanted to break (L and R, I left signal ground alone) so that the hole in the connector would have a wire and no pin coming out of it, thus bypassing the original signal path. It is reversible by bending the pin back up.
    Type of switch
    Switching the L and R channels requires a two-position two-pole switch. This hack may also work if only the signal grounds of each source are switch and it would require only a single pole switch. I would like to find a switch that is small and looks nice or possibly a two-position button would look better.
    I am still looking for a good place to mount the switch, possibly in the ash try or the switch panel on the drivers left side.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool but has this been confirmed to work on an 04? this would be great! either way i may just try this as i am having a shit time trying to find an AUXMod or Grom unit
    Current: MagnaFlow CBE, CR SRI, RX-8 rims wrapped in Hercules Raptus WR-1 for summer, Tints - 30% front 20% rear, Magnum Rotors, Hood Deflector, AUXMod
    In Progress: Complete Suspension Overhaul / Body and Paint / Mazdaspeed rear spoiler / Plasti-Dip Emblems, front grill
    Still Deciding: Audio

\m/ metal \m/

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow! was wondering how i could get some aux input in the stock HU. thanks!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by narcolepticus View Post
    Cool but has this been confirmed to work on an 04? this would be great! either way i may just try this as i am having a shit time trying to find an AUXMod or Grom unit
    Seems very hit and miss with the 04, mostly miss though. Wouldn't get your hopes up. Sorry!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems very hit and miss with the 04, mostly miss though. Wouldn't get your hopes up. Sorry!
    yeah, i guess being first gen a lot of the "'nice to have" features came later .. still, i might try this anyway for shits and giggles, see what happens (if anything) hehe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this mod still work for '05s ?! I keep getting yes and no answers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will only work if you have a "MEDIA" button on your headunit. If it says "MD" it WILL NOT WORK

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may work with the CD button, as that's how my ipod integration activates, which uses that CD changer port
    I DO NOT recommend ghetto wiring your setup like this guy did:
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...l=1#post974087
    you're asking for trouble!
    toasty fried head unit or car fire... you like those? then do that!
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wowwie wow! I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm so doing this! and I have some old CD drives from my old x486. my wife makes fun of me for holding onto old PCs. HA! laugh no more. I'll post in the ICE thread once I get'er done.

Thanks Cab0oze for the thread

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh so this got bumped on M3F (I'd never seen it before). In theory, it should work on any radio with a CD player, but the instructions may be slightly different. So - for the purpose of having as much information as possible in this thread, here is this option:

[Note, the ipodrx8 site has good pictures, may be helpful]
    Just a heads-up: this tutorial, 2004 Mazda RX8 Aux iPod Integration, posted earlier for piggy-backing onto the stereo PCB-to-CD-changer connector on a 2004 RX8 also works for 2005 Mazda 3 5-Door with CD changer / no nav head unit with "TAPE/MD" button instead of "MEDIA" button.

I just used the info yesterday to wire-up my 3 -- working perfectly. Keep in mind, however, that this is the kind of hack that requires you to burn a CD track of silence and keep it on repeat in order to trick the head unit into thinking it's receiving the audio signal from the CD Player / changer.

The stereo unit is nearly identical, so the photos / instructions for disassembling it and finding the pins for the connector are all usable. I think the only thing not included is the removal of the little LCD display mounted to the top of the stereo unit. It should be easy to figure out; just two screws to hold it on the side brackets, one screw for the ground, and a plug into the faceplate. Just ignore the steps for removing and reinstalling the unit from the dash and all; use 3-specific resources for removal / reinstall of the unit in the car.

Also, I haven't tried the non-solder method described in the tutorial, so I can't attest to its effectiveness. I just soldered leads onto the pins on the board because unlike the author of the tutorial, I love to solder ( I know, I'm weird ). This type of soldering requires decent small electronics soldering skills and a decent iron, with a fine tip and preferably adjustable temp ( the pins are literally about the size of the head of a pin and lower temps are needed to prevent damaging the circuit board or accidentally desoldering the connector's pins from the board ). Also, if soldered properly, you shouldn't need the wads of glue or whatever the author of that tutorial pasted over the pins -- covering them up like that is a bad idea because it could make repairing or troubleshooting impossible in the event of a cold solder joint or something that's not immediately obvious.

Time: a couple hours but that was taking my time -- the soldering is a little tricky.
    Cost: one scrap shielded RCA cable and $1 for an open circuit 1/8" stereo audio jack.

Anyway, I hope this is useful and good luck if you give it a go! -J

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I bought the cd rom wire for $2.00. And re pinned and all that stuff but when I opened up the head phones I got four wires red, green and And 2 copper ones which ones match up to what? I used some really cheap headphones could that be why I got these random color. Then I cut open an aux cable and only two wires in there so I am lost. Can some help please and thank you!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this on my car, I got it to realize there is an AUX port using the Media button. My only problem right now is soldering the wires (headphones) and the old computer wire together. If anyone would be willing to make one, solder and wrap. I'd be willing to pay for it at this point.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having made my own aux cable before using headphones wires when i was a kid, and looking at the size of my aux cable now, I'm reasonably sure that the wires of the aux cable are 2x thicker than the headphone wiring. I would recommend going to the dollar store or something and picking up an actual aux cable to use for the splice.... would probably be a lot easier to do, and judging by the size difference the sound quality would probably be better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give it a shot, cause this would be fricken awesome.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave it a shot today, the only problem I seem to be having is cutting the wire from the computer in half to remove and re-arrange the pins correctly. If anyone has any tips on how to do that properly that would be awesome. I got it to work on one side audio only, but it does work on my 06 hatchback GT. !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear!

You should be able to depin it with a paperclip... here's a pic of another connector, its probably very similar.

Push the tab, and pull the wire.
    Last edited by Cab0oze; 02-02-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast