Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E90 M3 vs E60 M5: Opinions needed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb E90 M3 vs E60 M5: Opinions needed.

Hi guys,

As some of you guys might know I am parting out my car and is looking to replace the mz3 since I have recently graduated from university.

I am looking to buy a certified pre-owned BMW preferably around 2008-2009ish as my budget is 60k and I am a huge fan of bmw M

I been losing sleep between e90 m3 and e60 m5, both are four door, high-revving N/A and I can't seem to pick out a winner.

M3:
    Love the rear end, especially with aftermarket trunk and diffuser
    Lighter, smaller, handles better
    More track-friendly
    DCT transmission better than SMG
    Good aftermarket suppot, ESS supercharger and etc...

M5:
    V10 Engine, sounds nice
    Faster than M3
    More luxury
    More roomy and family friendly

I need you guys to give me some opinions... or any other suggestion for 60K that is all season friendly

Thanks,
    Shu
    Current: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2017 Honda CRV Touring
    Past: 2015 Scion FRS 6MT, 2010 M3 E90 6MT, 2013 Scion FRS 6MT, 2005 Mazda 3 GT Hatch.

Ride
    Your Mom
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: E90 M3 vs E60 M5: Opinions needed.

M5 any day of the week. That thing with eisenmann exhaust is sex

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this straight, you're used to driving FWD and want to make a 400+ hp RWD sports sedan your new daily driver? I hope you have money set aside for new winter tires, or an excellent insurance policy.

That aisde, if you're buying something as a daily driver, and you're a recent grad, even if you land a job that pays 60 grand a year (which is even generous for someone our age) you'll find it difficult to afford the big car payments, gas, insurance for your M3 or M5 (just wait till you see your brokers face) with your other bills. That being said, you might be rich, and just looking for a fancy car to fly around in, and if thats the case go with the M5. IF you want to save a bit on gas and insurance, go with the M3. Keep in mind the E90 series of M3s were the only ones to have a V8, so this may make the car somewhat of a collectors item in the future, or at least help it to hold it's value better.

As for all season friendly, you might be better off looking into an Audi S4 or A4 S-Line, Quattro (AWD) on either. If you can afford it, even go with the S6 Quattro. BMW 335i and 550i with xDrive are also nice alternatives. I'm guessing you're not into Benz's, but if you are, dare I suggest the c350 4Matic?

Happy hunting!
    Got a variety of OEM Mazda 3 parts that need to go, thread coming soon, PM me for details!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shu5892001 View Post
    Hi guys,

As some of you guys might know I am parting out my car and is looking to replace the mz3 since I have recently graduated from university.

I am looking to buy a certified pre-owned BMW preferably around 2008-2009ish as my budget is 60k and I am a huge fan of bmw M

I been losing sleep between e90 m3 and e60 m5, both are four door, high-revving N/A and I can't seem to pick out a winner.

M3:
    Love the rear end, especially with aftermarket trunk and diffuser
    Lighter, smaller, handles better
    More track-friendly
    DCT transmission better than SMG
    Good aftermarket suppot, ESS supercharger and etc...

M5:
    V10 Engine, sounds nice
    Faster than M3
    More luxury
    More roomy and family friendly

I need you guys to give me some opinions... or any other suggestion for 60K that is all season friendly

Thanks,
    Shu
    I am day dreaming about the same, 2007+ M5 with a manual transmission as I have heard that the SMG has its issues. That and an M5 with an exhaust sounds just awesome. Drove the M5 and loved it

Looking into the US as there is more selection at better prices (average 45k). can't believe the v10 gets better economy than a 1.3l RX8 R3. Don't fit in an M3 (headroom) sadly so M5 only practical day dream option out of the two
    Last edited by Unoriginalusername; 06-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems every D-bag with credit leases himself an E92 M3 now days, but an M5 of any generation.... It's an M5! E28, E34, E39, E60, F10, I want them all! (Preferably an F10 for daily use, an E28 for the special occasions, and an E34 just because I used to have a non-M E34.)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What warranty does the cert cars come with?

Always liked the v10 in the m5 sound-wise, plus it's a freakin' V10. Did they sell the stick version up here (know they did in the US)? SMG III had iffy reviews, but it works. Usual IDrive complaints, though I'm sure like any system, once it becomes intuitive...it's not an issue.

Agreed with you on the M3 sedan looks. Depending on how often you'll have people in the back it'll be a neg size-wise.

Tough question and I'm envious. Talk to CJ, I know he drive a few cars before buying his 1M.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWB View Post
    So let me get this straight, you're used to driving FWD and want to make a 400+ hp RWD sports sedan your new daily driver? I hope you have money set aside for new winter tires, or an excellent insurance policy.

That aisde, if you're buying something as a daily driver, and you're a recent grad, even if you land a job that pays 60 grand a year (which is even generous for someone our age) you'll find it difficult to afford the big car payments, gas, insurance for your M3 or M5 (just wait till you see your brokers face) with your other bills. That being said, you might be rich, and just looking for a fancy car to fly around in, and if thats the case go with the M5. IF you want to save a bit on gas and insurance, go with the M3. Keep in mind the E90 series of M3s were the only ones to have a V8, so this may make the car somewhat of a collectors item in the future, or at least help it to hold it's value better.

As for all season friendly, you might be better off looking into an Audi S4 or A4 S-Line, Quattro (AWD) on either. If you can afford it, even go with the S6 Quattro. BMW 335i and 550i with xDrive are also nice alternatives. I'm guessing you're not into Benz's, but if you are, dare I suggest the c350 4Matic?

Happy hunting!
    Well driving a 400+hp rwd is not as bad as it sounds, I have driven 2008 M5 with Toyo T1R during winter month and I'm still alive lol.

I know the V8 M3 is nice since its probably the last high rev N/A for the m3, but so is the m5 lol...

Also when I mean all season friendly, I didn't mean it had to be awd, I just meant it's a practical four door and not like a corvette or anything...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wilson View Post

Always liked the v10 in the m5 sound-wise, plus it's a freakin' V10. Did they sell the stick version up here (know they did in the US)? SMG III had iffy reviews, but it works. Usual IDrive complaints, though I'm sure like any system, once it becomes intuitive...it's not an issue.

Agreed with you on the M3 sedan looks. Depending on how often you'll have people in the back it'll be a neg size-wise.

Tough question and I'm envious. Talk to CJ, I know he drive a few cars before buying his 1M.
    yes it was offered 2007+. m5 used is better value imo, hard to find an 08 m3 for under 50k
    Last edited by Unoriginalusername; 06-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe certified pre-owned adds 2 year warranty on-top of the car's remaining warranty

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe SMG III was offered in 2008 or something and it has improved since the 2006 first gen M5s, I'm looking to purchase either SMG or DCT.. not looking to buy manual yet...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Then M5 all the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Then M5 all the way.
    M5 has it's disadvantage, huge ass car, can't really track it, don't really suit my age (23)

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well driving a 400+hp rwd is not as bad as it sounds, I have driven 2008 M5 with Toyo T1R during winter month and I'm still alive lol.

I know the V8 M3 is nice since its probably the last high rev N/A for the m3, but so is the m5 lol...

Also when I mean all season friendly, I didn't mean it had to be awd, I just meant it's a practical four door and not like a corvette or anything...
    Yeah, I've heard BMW is planning a V8 Twin Turbo for the next gen of M5s, and the M3 has mixed reports. Either way, there's been a V10 in the M5 forever, but a V8 in the M3, that only lasted what 4 MYs? I'd go M3 here, because I think it's the best choice for someone our age overall, and at least it won't be such a pain to drive in the winter. I don't know if I could drive an M3 or M5 in the winter though...I'd cry just thinking of the salt on my paint

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long are you looking to keep it? Do you track that often? imagine the V10 howling down the back straight (drool), work downtown TO?

V10 was in the M5 for a short period too.

+ BMW's North American boss, Ludwig Willisch, has confirmed that the next-generation M3 will be powered by an inline six-cylinder engine
    Last edited by Mr Wilson; 06-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V8 TT M5 is already on the road... and E60 is the only generation that BMW offers a V10 for M5, E39 M5 had a V8

Yeah, I've heard BMW is planning a V8 Twin Turbo for the next gen of M5s, and the M3 has mixed reports. Either way, there's been a V10 in the M5 forever, but a V8 in the M3, that only lasted what 4 MYs? I'd go M3 here, because I think it's the best choice for someone our age overall, and at least it won't be such a pain to drive in the winter. I don't know if I could drive an M3 or M5 in the winter though...I'd cry just thinking of the salt on my paint

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning to keep it a few years, say 3-5? I work in Richmondhill and I live in Richmondhill so commute is no biggy
    How long are you looking to keep it? Do you track that often? imagine the V10 howling down the back straight (drool), work downtown TO?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm leaning towards M3 because my best buddies drive C63, STi, 330i and etc... If I drive a huge ass m5, I don't feel I blend in lol

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V8 TT M5 is already on the road... and E60 is the only generation that BMW offers a V10 for M5, E39 M5 had a V8
    Yes, but that's 7 MYs versus 4...more models on the road overall with the 10 cyl. Oh, and I didn't know the new M5s were out already...I haven't seen one yet! I see the new Z4 left right and center though.

IDK dude the M3 sedan is more suited to your age, and to daily driver duty, so that's my vote.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but that's 7 MYs versus 4...more models on the road overall with the 10 cyl. Oh, and I didn't know the new M5s were out already...I haven't seen one yet! I see the new Z4 left right and center though.

IDK dude the M3 sedan is more suited to your age, and to daily driver duty, so that's my vote.
    There is a blue M5, license plate F10 M5, owned by some asian dude in Toronto. See the car beside the black M5?

Yeah I'm leaning towards m3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    Pretty good deal for a 09

Ride
    2003 Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is wht i do at work too, research and compare except my budget isnt as high as yours lol
    also looking at the c63 as well...classic battle c63 vs. m3

seen some CPO E92 for around 49k before tax.
    are you considering the 335i (m-tech package) drool...i love it just for the turbo.

I wouldnt go with a M5 for the exact reasons you stated. Just not the car for our age, and M3 seems more fun for the twists and turns on the track. (Not to say M5 isnt)

Go with M3 ! Goodluck
    and try to stick with a CPO car
    Last edited by thanu31; 06-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Past:
    2003 Protege5
    2007 Mazda3 GT
    2002 E46
    ///M
    2010 Mazdaspeed3
    2003 Honda S2000
    Current:
    2005 S2000

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm leaning towards M3 because my best buddies drive C63, STi, 330i and etc... If I drive a huge ass m5, I don't feel I blend in lol
    work must be good

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    If that was an auction and there were still no other bidders, I'd throw down 5 bucks, LOL. Imagine that...M5 for 5 bucks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that was an auction and there were still no other bidders, I'd throw down 5 bucks, LOL. Imagine that...M5 for 5 bucks.
    reserve is your enemy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast