Thread: Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Transmission Flush

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Transmission Flush

Hi everyone,

I have some few questions regarding this topic. I went to Mazda dealer a while ago and got my oil changed.
    Base of their routine checkup I need to change/do the following.

1. Change Air Filter
    2. Change Cabin Filter
    3. Automatic Transmission Flush

Here are my questions:

1. From what I remember I was able to changed my air filter before with a spare OEM filter. I was researching about air filters and end up looking at K&N 69-6010TR is this what you install to upgrade your air filter? Is worthy upgrading for city driving?

2. For the Cabin Filter will this work? K&N 33-2293 or do I need to look for a specific ones or OEM's?

3. I'm still researching about this, is this like an oil change? How often do you flush this? $166 is worthy?

Thanks for reading and hope you can help. N00bs here please be nice.

Mazda 3 2007 GT - Carbon Grey Mica (28B)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Transmission Flush

a k&N is a good filter if your looking to upgrade from the stock filter, we put one in our other mazda 3, not a performance change noticed but better to be able to clean the filter vs replace when required from and enviro stand point. the cabin filter you put from k&N also looks like its for an engine and i didnt know k&N made cabin air filters but an engine air filter wouldnt work for a cabin filter replacement, mind you that also wouldnt go in where the cabin filter is as the cabin filter for your vehicle is a 2 part replacement, but unless they checked your filter it is good to have it changed between 60-80 000 km as it does built up and will no longer filter. you could always remove it yourself and have it inspected, is your vehicle automatic or manual? as an auto should get the trans fluid replaced on average 3 years or 60 000km but that also depends on driving and wear, could be sooner or later, a manual is better for 2 years or 48 000 km. but you can also have the fluid inspected to see if its low or color.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for a quick reply @Booter22

I got Automatic with 106K. I suspected it right the the item 2 is not a cabin filter but it will be for item 1 - lol
    I saw this one in CT FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter

I guess i have to save some $ to go and flush the transmission for the next oil changed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go to highline motors for tranny flush. i believe he has a flush machine and his price is half that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kcirtap View Post

1. From what I remember I was able to changed my air filter before with a spare OEM filter. I was researching about air filters and end up looking at K&N 69-6010TR is this what you install to upgrade your air filter? Is worthy upgrading for city driving?
    The K&N 69-6010TR is a complete cold air intake. you can use it as a short ram intake or as a cold air intake,

is it worthy upgrading for city driving?

well it depends... i dont exactly know if it improves your fuel economy or not, but it sounds awesome!

a brand new K&N 69-6010TR should cost you around $250...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question you should be asking the shop that is servicing your vehicle is: is $166 for a complete transmission flush (ie. they replace all 8ish liters of trans fluid) or is it $166 for a simple drain and refill?

If it is a drain and refill, that is far too much money to pay as it is a very simple process and only replaces somewhere around 4 litres of the transmission fluid (it does not replace the fluid that is stuck in the torque converter).

Now if it is a drain and refill AND they're replacing the transmission filter (not 100% if the auto's on the 3 have one, since I have a manual) then that is a reasonable price.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree with wes08m3 you need to ask what they are doing, but if its 166 with a filter replacement thats an amazing price because i think the OEM filters are about 100-150 just for the filter best i recall when we looked them up last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @Wes08M3 that's a very helpful advice!
    @Booter22 the $166 is only for the flushing.

The cabin filter cost x5 for what I see here in TM3!
    Anyway I guess that's the way it is, business is business right - lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put the Fram Fresh Breeze cabin filter in my mom's 07 Mazda 3. The fit was very good and the quality seemed decent as well. It says that this filter uses baking soda to reduce odors and it appears to be a charcoal type filter which is also supposed to help eliminate odors.

The instructions that come with it are useless (and i think they actually have an error lol) but it's an easy install. Just make sure you note which of the two filters you took out went on the top and bottom. How well does it actually work? I'm not sure since I just put it in, but it was a reasonable price. I paid $26 at PartSource.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    agree with wes08m3 you need to ask what they are doing, but if its 166 with a filter replacement thats an amazing price because i think the OEM filters are about 100-150 just for the filter best i recall when we looked them up last year.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a strainer rather than a filter in the auto trans? Typically you shouldn't have to change the strainer for quite a few kms.

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The K&N 33-2293 is the engine air filter which you can replace yourself, just remove 1 or 2 plastic screws from the plastic cover in the engine bay to reveal the engine air filter box.

Mazda dealer sells the cabin air filter for around $40 I believe, if you can get it cheaper, buy it and bring it in. These cabin air filters are more difficult to replace than your average car requiring you to access to fuse plate and such.

At 106k, definitely get a transmission flush which involves using a machine to force the old ATF out while adding in new ATF while the car is running, this will replace 99% to 100% of the old ATF. But yeah make sure it's a complete flush and not just a drain and fill which would have only removed probably 50% of the ATF. My local Mazda dealer charges $189.95 for a transmission flush but I wanted to use synthetic ATF so I brought in my own ATF and was only charged labor. Synthetic ATF will improve shifting and last longer.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a strainer rather than a filter in the auto trans? Typically you shouldn't have to change the strainer for quite a few kms.
    no sure if its called a strainer or a filter, its been a while since ive last looked the part up. but i wouldnt forsee it needing to be change for a while, mind you it wouldnt be a bad idea every 120,000 km or so. which would be about 2 changes on the fluid at 60,000 km. and give or take would mean youd only change it once if you kept the car till 240,000 km. i think in all the time ive been with mazda ive only see one filter changed. otherwise most stay with the regular fluid replacement every 3 years or 60,000 km ( give or take on the mileage) but i think it was a car with 150,000 km and about 6 years old and never had it changed once. so it was in pretty rough shape.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have a question about the auto trans flush. we are currently trying to sell my fiance's 05 mazda 3 sport 2.3L. A prospective buyer just had it inspected and the shop noted that the auto tranny fluid was a little bit dirty and starting to smell. We have 120K on it and i'm not sure if the previous owner did a tranny fluid change or not (will check the records tonight). Regardless, i'm going to do a full flush myself using the methods found on the other mazda 3 forums but i have this question to ask.

I plan on doing the full fluid flush (not a drain and fill), but is it 100% necessary for me to do that whole process of dropping the pan, cleaning it out, making a new gasket etc etc or can i just do the full flush by draining out of the hose? i would assume dropping the pan is a little more time consuming....

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aznives3 View Post
    I also have a question about the auto trans flush. we are currently trying to sell my fiance's 05 mazda 3 sport 2.3L. A prospective buyer just had it inspected and the shop noted that the auto tranny fluid was a little bit dirty and starting to smell. We have 120K on it and i'm not sure if the previous owner did a tranny fluid change or not (will check the records tonight). Regardless, i'm going to do a full flush myself using the methods found on the other mazda 3 forums but i have this question to ask.

I plan on doing the full fluid flush (not a drain and fill), but is it 100% necessary for me to do that whole process of dropping the pan, cleaning it out, making a new gasket etc etc or can i just do the full flush by draining out of the hose? i would assume dropping the pan is a little more time consuming....
    No need to drop the pan. Especially when it only has 120k on it.

If you are going to do a flush, you should take it somewhere that has the appropriate transmission flush machine. It's the easiest, safest and most effective way to flush the trans.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes08M3 View Post
    No need to drop the pan. Especially when it only has 120k on it.

If you are going to do a flush, you should take it somewhere that has the appropriate transmission flush machine. It's the easiest, safest and most effective way to flush the trans.
    Thanks.

Everyone around here wants $300 to do the flush. I'm pretty confident in my basic garage skills so is there something wrong with the flush methods on the other Mazda forums?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$300 is pretty steep. For that amount, I think I'd be doing it myself too.

If you're referring to pretty much just removing a transmission cooler line and running the engine to pump the old fluid out while pouring new fluid in, there's nothing wrong with it really. It's just a bit difficult to make sure you get all the old fluid out. And you have to be careful not to run the transmission dry. I certainly wouldn't say it's dangerous or anything, if you're confident in your skills then give it a shot.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, if I was going to the trouble to do a proper transmission flush I'd take the extra bit of time and effort to replace the filter/screen. I'd also install a transmission cooler while I was at it. But that is just me - I have little confidence in automatics and feel they need whatever extra TLC you can provide. But I'm kinda finicky and installed an engine oil cooler and use the bigger filter from the 2.3L as fitted in the B-2300 trucklet, so my opinions are on the safe/conservative side.

I replaced my cabin air filter last week. I wouldn't say the job was "easy" but it certainly wasn't as much work as a transmission flush and definitely not as messy. I got a FRAM filter kit (with Arm & Hammer baking soda! woo-hoo?) at Canadian Tire. I forget the price but it was pretty inexpensive - I got it on sale last year. If you can deal with the stupid little clips on the low beam bulbs then the cabin filter will be no problem. Disconnect the battery negative terminal before you start as unplugging the fuse panel under the glovebox will confuse the computer pretty badly otherwise.
    What would J.R. Ewing do in this situation?

The question which unlocks the solutions to all life's problems.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes08M3 View Post
    $300 is pretty steep. For that amount, I think I'd be doing it myself too.

If you're referring to pretty much just removing a transmission cooler line and running the engine to pump the old fluid out while pouring new fluid in, there's nothing wrong with it really. It's just a bit difficult to make sure you get all the old fluid out. And you have to be careful not to run the transmission dry. I certainly wouldn't say it's dangerous or anything, if you're confident in your skills then give it a shot.
    looks like some differing opinions on whether or not to drop the pan out. i just took a look at the tranny fluid from the dipstick, and the mechanic that checked it said it was "really dirty and smelly". when i pulled it, it was just a light brown, no smell. definitely used, but i was expecting to see thick black sludge the way he was describing it. Definitely still going to be changing it but don't know if i want to drop the pan at this moment only at 120K.

Like i said, all the shops around here want $300 to do the flush. Mazda, ez lube, kal tire, etc. the only one that charged less was CDN tire at $166, but theres no chance i bring my car into cdn tire.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you just don't know how things are going to go at Canadian Tire. They are mostly independent dealers and quality of service varies a lot from one location to the next. I used to work at CTC in Collingwood in the 80s and 90s and the mechanics were mostly pretty good there at that time. We had a couple of yahoos but got rid of them pretty quick. But all it takes is for one yahoo to bungle or butcher a couple of jobs and the reputation of the whole shop is tarnished for years. The franchise has changed hands a couple of times since then though and I don't know what things are like in there now.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour Rat View Post
    Yeah, you just don't know how things are going to go at Canadian Tire. They are mostly independent dealers and quality of service varies a lot from one location to the next. I used to work at CTC in Collingwood in the 80s and 90s and the mechanics were mostly pretty good there at that time. We had a couple of yahoos but got rid of them pretty quick. But all it takes is for one yahoo to bungle or butcher a couple of jobs and the reputation of the whole shop is tarnished for years. The franchise has changed hands a couple of times since then though and I don't know what things are like in there now.
    i guess my profile doesn't say, but i'm actually from edmonton lol. the CDN tire's over here definitely do not have the better reputation for car work. I do all my own oil changes on many cars, exhausts, transmission/diff fluid changes on my s2000, suspension changes, coolant flushes etc, but i have never done an auto tranny flush before. So although i am comfortable for the most part for basic car maintenance i'm always on the cautious side when it comes to something new. The DIY guides seem pretty straight forward, i guess i'll just have to keep an eye on how much fluid is dumping out of the cooler outlet hose and make sure to stop and refill while doing this process in order to not let the transmission run dry. Overall though i feel like i shouldn't have to pay $230 in just labor costs for this process that isn't too much more involved than any other fluid change.