Thread: Rust spots on roof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rust spots on roof

So I drive a 2010 mazda 3 And from driving it I have received stone chips onn top of my roof. From those stone chips rustig has began to star. so I brought it into the dealership to check if it would be covered under warranty. Unfortunately they will not cover it so I need to fix it. I'm going to need to paint the whole roof to fix it completely. But before I go ahead wig that I thought I would ask for suggestions or other ways to fix it. I appreciate any comments or feedback! Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rust spots on roof

I wouldn't suggest doing this until you fix it, but once fixed, get it wrapped in a gloss/matte black vinyl. Unless your car is black...then thats kind of pointless. But would still protect. If you can't afford to get it painted, I would suggest atleast touching it up to reseal it. (I personally wouldn't do this, but thats just my opinion)

Why won't the dealership cover it? Did you buy extra paint coverage when you purchased the car? (if you bought new)

Best of luck buddy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To give you an idea of the vinyl roof, here's my car below.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WM3 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest doing this until you fix it, but once fixed, get it wrapped in a gloss/matte black vinyl. Unless your car is black...then thats kind of pointless. But would still protect. If you can't afford to get it painted, I would suggest atleast touching it up to reseal it. (I personally wouldn't do this, but thats just my opinion)

Why won't the dealership cover it? Did you buy extra paint coverage when you purchased the car? (if you bought new)

Best of luck buddy!
    They said because the rust was caused by stone chips they will not cover it. I was think about the vinyl as well. The car is black like you said so I think painting might be the beat bet. Its a 2010 Mazda 3 sport, and I believe its a 10 year rust warranty but like I said because of he stone chips it is not covered. I may just paint the roof and the Hood and then get it clear shielded like I should have when I first got the car 3 years ago. Ill take pictures of the rust when I get home.

Thanks a lot man. It's a real piss off

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WM3 View Post
    perforation warranty does not cover for stone chip damage. only perforation, Mazdas Coverage is 5 years for perforation. unless you have purchased something over and above that. but most extensions will not cover damage from stone chips only if there is perforation.
    Last edited by Booter22; 06-18-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by herm0045 View Post
    They said because the rust was caused by stone chips they will not cover it. I was think about the vinyl as well. The car is black like you said so I think painting might be the beat bet. Its a 2010 Mazda 3 sport, and I believe its a 10 year rust warranty but like I said because of he stone chips it is not covered. I may just paint the roof and the Hood and then get it clear shielded like I should have when I first got the car 3 years ago. Ill take pictures of the rust when I get home.

Thanks a lot man. It's a real piss off
    No worries, and yea throw some pictures up. I'd like to see. I'm thinking of clear shielding my front end...my car is only a month old so nows the time to do it. Lol! I have my roof protected so I'm good there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe a bit off topic since it's about a first gen... sorry in advance... but has anyone ever check whether there is rust near the front, where the plastic trims are mounted for the roof racks (closer to the windshield)?

I have never had to remove these pieces, but it seems like there is a bit of orange coloring (rust?) where the pieces are mounted to the physical roof. poor design or just me SOL?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Herm. This probably wont help, but I live in the Uk and also have rust spots on the roof (UK passenger side), of my 2007 mazda3 Sprot 2.0 diesel, which also appear to be from 'stone chips'. I have looked at a couple of other forums which also report the same problems. I Suspect Mazda & their dealers know there is a problem but can easily dismiss it as stone chips. What Car magazine in the Uk also reports rust complaints from owners following the JD survey. I haven't been to the local dealer with mine yet but I don't expect any warranty cover. Good luck with yours.