Thread: TWM Performance Replacement Short Shifter

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TWM Performance Replacement Short Shifter

This is for the TWM Short Shifter - Complete Replacement 2010+

So I've had my short shift kit in for about 2 weeks now, and figured I'd write a short review on the product for anyone interested.

I have some pictures in my Ride Pictures for anyone interested in how short it makes everything, as for installation pictures it is pretty much exactly as shown in the installation PDF found online or when you purchase.

So here we go.

Installation was pretty easy for the most part, dissasembly of the centre console area exposing the shifter base was pretty simple. Just be mindful of the little clips and tabs holding everything in (break one and you're boned)

I could only really find two gripes for this product ; During the bushing installation process, they really should have just included longer shafts that the bushing screws into. It can be an effort in frustration when you tighten down 3 of the 4 lock nuts and realize you don't have enough thread exposed.

To top that off the lock nuts are really a 1 time use item, once you tighten the nut on the silicone (I think) locking part tends to get chewed up and is no good for further use if you have to take it off / on a few times. A quick trip to Canadian Tire fixed that for me, I just bought 4 more locking nuts for future use. For the price of the shifter kit, they should just double up on the installation hardware required.

The 2nd problem is when installing the shift cables back into the new TWM base, the fit is VERY tight where the shift cable attaches onto the base. I almost wondered if the tolerances were maybe a bit too tight, as it took quite a bit of force to fit into the slotted part. Even with the cable firmly slotted in, the 'clamp' that goes overtop to ensure security will not close 100%. Perhaps its a case of 1 size does not always fit all. (On the plus side there is NO WAY that cable is coming loose from the base)

Installation from start to finish probably took me about 1h30m.

Adjustments and setting the 'feel' for the shifter is pretty easy, it looks like they already pre-assembled a few things that the instruction booklet wanted me to do, so that was a plus as well.

Overall I'm quite happy with the product, I was able to get rid of the nasty grind happening a lot when hard shifting from 1-2. Plus it looks 100 times better.

Pros -

Looks good
    By the book install, no guessing
    Much better shift feel
    Lots of adjustability for throw length
    Great quality

Cons -

Should include extra installation hardware
    Longer threaded bushing bolts
    No small packet of grease for the lock-out plate
    Shoot, Move, Communicate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TWM Performance Replacement Short Shifter

nice write up answered some of my questions. just waiting for another deal to drop down. Lol and I'll get mine the.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TWM Performance Replacement Short Shifter

any other questions?

you should have snagged one when I did! was a great deal

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks