Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Service - drain and fill or filter too?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transmission Service - drain and fill or filter too?

Hey,

So I just ordered tranny fluid for 2004 with 113,000km, I dont think the tranny service has ever been done, or atleast not recently (didnt see it in the service records which are a little sporadic though). My tech seems to think its just a drain and fill of the fluid... but is there a filter as well? Is it a lifetime filter, if there is one? Do u reccomend replacing it?

Im particularily interested in doing the tranny flush because of a somewhat harsh shift from 1st to 2nd. I dont know if this is typical for that year, but all the other shifts are SUBSTANTIALLY smother and the first shift worries me a little bit. Can someone tell me if this is typical? Is the auto rpm shift set as such to make the shift a little rough?

Thanks!
    You just got passed by a girl.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission Service - drain and fill or filter too?

Also, I know there is a chance the tranny service may not help it, but there is a chance it may. Shift isnt bad enough IMO to signal a tranny problem, just not as pleasant as I think it should be.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there has been many threads with regards to the tranny shift.

the 4spd is certainly not as smooth as the 5spd introduced in later years. I do have a 2007 with the 4spd and have always hated the shift from 1-2nd even after warm up and sometimes, depending on acceleration area (hills are the worst jerk) it can be very noticeable.

I have had this jerk since 74,000km and now at 146,xxx km and nothing ever has gone bad with the transmission (shift quality has remained the same), the fluid has been maintained every 50,000km or less.

Have you tried accelearting from an upward incline? Is the jerk more apparent and feels like a 'jolt' ?

I did a transmission flush and it did not help. I'd say 113,000 is a lot for a power flush, a fill and drain is better.

PS - the jerk/jolt doesnt always happen. But it happens more than not.
    Last edited by zmz3; 08-01-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zmz3 View Post
    there has been many threads with regards to the tranny shift.

the 4spd is certainly not as smooth as the 5spd introduced in later years. I do have a 2007 with the 4spd and have always hated the shift from 1-2nd even after warm up and sometimes, depending on acceleration area (hills are the worst jerk) it can be very noticeable.

I have had this jerk since 74,000km and now at 146,xxx km and nothing ever has gone bad with the transmission (shift quality has remained the same), the fluid has been maintained every 50,000km or less.

Have you tried accelearting from an upward incline? Is the jerk more apparent and feels like a 'jolt' ?

I did a transmission flush and it did not help. I'd say 113,000 is a lot for a power flush, a fill and drain is better.

PS - the jerk/jolt doesnt always happen. But it happens more than not.
    hmm interesting. I will try it on an incline...
    Needs to be done anyways, just curious to see if this is commonly noted/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    hmm interesting. I will try it on an incline...
    Needs to be done anyways, just curious to see if this is commonly noted/
    It would be a good idea to check the colour/smell of the ATF fluid.

It shouldn't smell like burned toast and should be cherry red (for relatively new).

If it is brown or black (!) - replace asap. But I assume you know those things given your job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be a good idea to check the colour/smell of the ATF fluid.

It shouldn't smell like burned toast and should be cherry red (for relatively new).

If it is brown or black (!) - replace asap. But I assume you know those things given your job
    colour's pretty pink but I found no maintenance record for it and assumed it would somewhat help the shift... hmmmm

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my 05 hatch I drain and filled when the ATF fluid was black. Didn't have as many KM's as your car Marta but since I always used the manual mode the fluid was pretty bad at only 75,000km.

No filter to change.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    On my 05 hatch I drain and filled when the ATF fluid was black. Didn't have as many KM's as your car Marta but since I always used the manual mode the fluid was pretty bad at only 75,000km.

No filter to change.
    so would you reccomend I hope off on the tranny service? I mean, if it still looks pretty clean and wont smooth the shift, then is there a point?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    so would you reccomend I hope off on the tranny service? I mean, if it still looks pretty clean and wont smooth the shift, then is there a point?
    Do the service if the fluid is burnt at all. On an auto it should be done approx every 50-65k for good measure. I have to do my second one soon also.

I would just do a drain and fill.

Since you said it's pinkish/reddish than you might be okay for a while longer. How many kms have you put on the car?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Do the service if the fluid is burnt at all. On an auto it should be done approx every 50-65k for good measure. I have to do my second one soon also.

I would just do a drain and fill.

Since you said it's pinkish/reddish than you might be okay for a while longer. How many kms have you put on the car?
    I agree. Do it just in case. You can start your own schedule for it then. It's not as costly as other things. Usually $100 +/- $20.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made sure to drain and fill the transmission on my mom's '07 every 50,000km and it's been really good so far. It still shifts quite smoothly even 1st to 2nd after all those km's. Only when it's very cold have I noticed a bit more of a harsh shift. It's the 4spd auto as well.

At 100,000km (2nd trans fluid change) I started putting a little bit of Lucas "transmission fix" in with the new fluid to help try and keep it shifting smoothly down the road. It didn't have any problems it was just a preventative measure. Maybe you could try that out to help smooth out your 1-2 shift.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Do it just in case. You can start your own schedule for it then. It's not as costly as other things. Usually $100 +/- $20.
    Drain and fill costs less than 50 bucks. And that's buying enough fluid to drain and refill the pan a few times.

EDIT: maybe your post is referring to having the flush done at a shop. If so, my mistake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did 2x drain and fill at Jimmy's at 60k since I was switching to synthetic. Added tranny cooler and did power steering flush as well. Came out to under $100 (minus amsoil fluids and install).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes08M3 View Post
    I made sure to drain and fill the transmission on my mom's '07 every 50,000km and it's been really good so far. It still shifts quite smoothly even 1st to 2nd after all those km's. Only when it's very cold have I noticed a bit more of a harsh shift. It's the 4spd auto as well.

At 100,000km (2nd trans fluid change) I started putting a little bit of Lucas "transmission fix" in with the new fluid to help try and keep it shifting smoothly down the road. It didn't have any problems it was just a preventative measure. Maybe you could try that out to help smooth out your 1-2 shift.
    Interesting... My 1st-2nd shift has been pretty bad at times, but if it's a defect/damaged transmission, it has been like that for over 70k km .... Mine certainly feels like a 'jolt' at times, more than a 'jerk'.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im installing my tranny cooler soon too, gonna do a flush and install. just gotta get the fluids and hardware...i aslo changed the pan, filter, and gasket not too long ago because it was nearly rusted through.
    Last edited by silverstarmazda; 08-02-2012 at 02:32 AM.

50 shades of silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain and fill costs less than 50 bucks. And that's buying enough fluid to drain and refill the pan a few times.

EDIT: maybe your post is referring to having the flush done at a shop. If so, my mistake.
    no no, I will have my boys at work do the flush. So it will be costing me less than 50 bucks. Only thing is, I have no idea when/if ever a tranny flush was EVER done. Considering its still a nice shade of pink, I assume it must of been changed at some point.

I dont know whether to do it cause its cheap anyways, or whether to do a BFF or PSF instead... hmmm.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstarmazda View Post
    im installing my tranny cooler soon too, gonna do a flush and install. just gotta get the fluids and hardware...i aslo changed the pan, filter, and gasket not too long ago because it was nearly rusted through.
    I have a lot of leftover mounting hardware like brackets and whatnot. Let me know if you want them.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everyone forgot about the ECU update that fixes the 1-2 shift problem?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    everyone forgot about the ECU update that fixes the 1-2 shift problem?
    No. That ECU update doesn't always fix 'it' - whatever that jerk might be. We are not talking in cold weather or pre-warm up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is this ECU update? Is it like a computer flash? Is it a rapid response or a recall or smthg?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents...

I've done flushs on my 96 corolla (auto) and every time i did the flush every 30,000km the shifting was so nice like the car was saying thank you.

On my 05 mazda 3 (standard) i changed the tranny oil right when i got it at 75,000 km on the odometer. I changed it with redline mt-90 if i remember correctly. Shifting greatly improved.

In conclusion - Changing your fluid is never a bad thing, and it's less than 50 dollars i'd say if you have any doubt with the fluid (when it was last done) it's a no brainer to get it done.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man, ive been on this tranny fluid research its been hurting my head lately... (literal) mazda's MV fluid contains some sort of anti shock additive apparently...mercon v is not intended for the transmission, but can be used as a substitute at your own risk. i ran this through my tranny wen i used to work for ford and its still red after half a year. i had a gift card for walmart, so this is where i got my new tranny fluids. walmart only seems to stock 2 fluids that are compatible for our cars. valvoline maxlife ATF dex/merc, and castrol import atf. i got the castrol and will be swapping soon. also heard that the mazda MV fluids dont last very long either.... and valvoline doesnt performa too good in the cold. ofc, im only talking about walmart, im sure other places will have more suitable fluids. one of the bests is mobil 1 synthetic atf apparently.

shit... i just realized.. how am i gonna see if i ran all the old fluid out if its still bright red =.=

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Castrol Import ATF the first time I changed the trans fluid at 50,000km. It was perfectly fine...

I've used the Mazda MV fluid ever since, it lasts 50,000km no problem. Mind you, I added a bit of Lucas to it which apparently extends fluid life.

Only reason I stopped using the Castrol was because it wasn't much cheaper than the OEM stuff, so I figured it was safer to just go OEM especially for warranty purposes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Castrol Import ATF the first time I changed the trans fluid at 50,000km. It was perfectly fine...

I've used the Mazda MV fluid ever since, it lasts 50,000km no problem. Mind you, I added a bit of Lucas to it which apparently extends fluid life.

Only reason I stopped using the Castrol was because it wasn't much cheaper than the OEM stuff, so I figured it was safer to just go OEM especially for warranty purposes.
    +1 i wanted to go with mobil 1 atf synthetic. but ive heard its no longer available in canada? anyone confirm this? im going with castrol this time just cuz i had a gift card lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstarmazda View Post
    +1 i wanted to go with mobil 1 atf synthetic. but ive heard its no longer available in canada? anyone confirm this? im going with castrol this time just cuz i had a gift card lol
    I'm pretty sure I saw it at Canadian Tire last time I was there. It's still on their website for $12.99/L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast