Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptops

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Laptops

It seems I always come here when I have a question about electronics...

I'm purchasing a laptop within the next week or so and I'm not sure what to get.
    I've been to Best Buy and i'm leaning towards an Asus ultrabook but I'm still hesitant.

I'm looking for a laptop/ultrabook with a fast processor.
    Aside from the usual surfing the web, listening to music, watching movies, etc. I need something that is good for making music.

I'm flexable on price. That being said, what should I get? I'm open to both mac and pc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Laptops

My only input on laptops are Lenovo's are very realiable. I got mine first year university 5 years ago haven't even needed to reformat. I run symantec

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Realistically, anything with an i5 or i7 will do what you need to do. I'd look more into the features of the laptop you can't change that you like (keyboard, screen, multimedia keys, inputs for peripherals, outputs, etc.). The stuff that's easy/cheap to change should come as a secondary goal (RAM & HDD).

All in all, as long as you're happy with the way your laptop looks/performs I wouldn't be too worried about trying to find a "better" deal.
    -2011 Mazda 2 GS
    -1988 Mazda RX7 Turbo 2

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MacBook Pro (I'm biased)

13" is enough...then again, that's what she said

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest you avoid buying retail from futureshop, bestbuy, staples etc. The items they carry are generally lower end, targeting price over quality.
    I would suggest looking online at Lenovo(Thinkpad,formerly IBM Thinkpad) or Dell Lattitude(avoid Inspiron).
    if you must buy retail due to time constraints look at Ncix, and Canada Computers.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Ride
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macmacmacmacmac
    DAI | XXR | NANKANG | DOMINANT ENGINERING | KW | BRIDE
    KAPTION | JVC | OPTIMA | INJEN | TRI POINT | NRG | AVENUE

STRIPPING TECHNOLOGIES | EXCLUSIVE WHEEL AND TIRE | KAPTION

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love my MBP...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    I would suggest you avoid buying retail from futureshop, bestbuy, staples etc. The items they carry are generally lower end, targeting price over quality.
    I would suggest looking online at Lenovo(Thinkpad,formerly IBM Thinkpad) or Dell Lattitude(avoid Inspiron).
    if you must buy retail due to time constraints look at Ncix, and Canada Computers.
    +1

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running a Sony Vaio from 2010 and I haven't had the slightest issue with it since I bought it. Resolution is great, doesn't lag when I play games/movies and run other programs, and definitely has a large/comfortable keyboard for my bear paws. Downsides are the fact that my model is a 17.5 inch screen, so it's large, and since it's large, it's also heavy as f**k. Not such a big deal for me, but everyones got their preferences. My friends sister has one older than mine that runs just as well, I recommend looking into these if you haven't already considered them (especially if your big into videos/movies/gaming).
    Got a variety of OEM Mazda 3 parts that need to go, thread coming soon, PM me for details!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinkpad T/W/X, Fujitsu or Latitude. MBP if you're scared of 1s and 0s.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude if you want muscle, go here;
    http://www.alienware.ca/

.......................................nuff said
    2012 Mz3 GS SkyActiv CWP Mods; DDM 50w 6k lows / Headlights tinted with Lamin-X 6% overlay / DRL Nokya Hyper Yellows / Foglights; Morimoto 35w 3K's with Lamin-X yellow overlay / Dealer tinted sides n rear / KiCkER kx 600.4 4ch amp / Alpine Type "R" comps front / Alpine SPR-68's rear / License plate LED's / Interior LED's /***MY ICE UPGRADE***http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Zoomahh's 2012-SkyActiv-ice-upgrade*** /Detail Day July 2013 http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...il-Day-!-!-!-D
    2011 Mz2 GX CWP (wifey's car) / led interiors only

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some great deals right now at staples, they also have coupons regularly available on their website for anywhere from 10 - 15% off your purchase. retailiers will be doing some crazy things in the next two weeks to drive BTS footfall into stores so sit tight and wait for the flyers - and dont hesitate to ask for a price match on a similar spec, most will bend backward to get the sale whereas the smaller channel guys (ncix/canada computers) will not.

good call on Asus btw, excellent notebooks which are aesthetically pleasing AND they have the lowest failure rate in the industy - better than mac. If it's an Asus you're after, Staples is your best bet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest you avoid buying retail from futureshop, bestbuy, staples etc. The items they carry are generally lower end, targeting price over quality. I would suggest looking online at Lenovo(Thinkpad,formerly IBM Thinkpad) or Dell Lattitude(avoid Inspiron). if you must buy retail due to time constraints look at Ncix, and Canada Computers.
    +1, Well said.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I would go basic 13inch MBP, replace HDD with SSD, upgrade RAM to 16GB, purchase external redundant storage solution and extra monitor and you're good to go! Also there's the optical bay, you can replace that with a mechanical HDD adapter and have the old 500GB hard drive in there if you want to have more temporary storage while on the go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys. My main priorities are something that is lightweight and powerful. Screensize, brand, etc aren't that important.

Quote Originally Posted by XTOTHEL View Post
    Personally, I would go basic 13inch MBP, replace HDD with SSD, upgrade RAM to 16GB, purchase external redundant storage solution and extra monitor and you're good to go! Also there's the optical bay, you can replace that with a mechanical HDD adapter and have the old 500GB hard drive in there if you want to have more temporary storage while on the go.
    I know I said i'm flexable on price but that sounds like a lot of money lol. Was looking at under $1500 with everything (upgrades, microsoft office or mac equivalent, tax, etc).
    ...I know your going to say mac is better then pc if I ask you. So is it worth the extra money?

Thanks. I was looking on Dell's website last night and they have a lot of clearance stuff. I was customizing the Inspiron 14R and 15R, upgraded a bunch of stuff and the price wasn't bad. What do you think of those two?

Didn't see anything I liked from Lenovo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a fan of the Inspiron line. It is basic consumer stuff and support is horrible. The business lines Dell Lattitude or Lenvo Thinkpads will be more expensive than what you see retail. However, the components and support will be much better.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Lenovo's since 2004 ... dropped one down 20 flights of stairs, still works till this day (T42). I just recently got an X220. Great little laptop, not necessarily as durable it seems as I've already chipped it and the matte finish is coming off. But the laptop itself runs like a champ! It's a 12.2" screen, lightweight but no DVD. Mine is running an i5 and I do video editing on it from time to time. Adding additional memory to make it 8GB also made it happier.

Also, if you're looking for software, if you're a student, check out digital rivers Microsoft products for students. They're the official distributor for MS stuff.
    Last edited by leungalv; 08-14-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Current: 2021 Audi A5; 2008 Saab 9-3; 2003 Acura RSX Base

Previous: 2015 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback; 2008 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a fan of the Inspiron line. It is basic consumer stuff and support is horrible. The business lines Dell Lattitude or Lenvo Thinkpads will be more expensive than what you see retail. However, the components and support will be much better.
    Do they only make the Lattitude in the states? It's on the U.S website but not ours.
    I'm looking into the Thinkpads now. Which one would you recommend for what i'm looking for?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leungalv View Post
    I've been using Lenovo's since 2004 ... dropped one down 20 flights of stairs, still works till this day (T42). I just recently got an X220. Great little laptop, not necessarily as durable it seems as I've already chipped it and the matte finish is coming off. But the laptop itself runs like a champ! It's a 12.2" screen, lightweight but no DVD. Mine is running an i5 and I do video editing on it from time to time. Adding additional memory to make it 8GB also made it happier.

Also, if you're looking for software, if you're a student, check out digital rivers Microsoft products for students. They're the official distributor for MS stuff.
    Thanks, I'm looking into Lenovo a bit more now. How are their warranty's?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's the problem. if op is going to judge laptops based on appearance (inferring from his decision to consider inspiron to the contrary), then and latitudes/thinkpads are probably not for him (business grade laptops look very utilitarian, to say the least)...

the t400 in my house has been dropped numerous times, in a car accident etc. and still runs like a champ. best part was i got it for under $1300 new during one of lenovos sale in combination with cash back.
    Last edited by zzz3; 08-14-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05Mazda3GT View Post
    Thanks, I'm looking into Lenovo a bit more now. How are their warranty's?
    Speaking strictly of the Thinkpads, the warranty is 1 year. I haven't ever used it.

Ride
    2017 Mazda MX-5 RF
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go to Canada Computers

http://www.canadacomputers.com

they have good prices ( better than the big box stores)

Also I would go for something made by the less known brands such as asus and MSI and Lenovo

Ive had too much problems with HP/Acer/Toshiba laptops...
    2008 Mazda 3 Sport GS |(RIP)
    2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GS | mods: Oil Catch Can , Ceramic Pro coating + Xpel (no wax required)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zzz3 View Post
    that's the problem. if op is going to judge laptops based on appearance (inferring from his decision to consider inspiron to the contrary), then and latitudes/thinkpads are probably not for him (business grade laptops look very utilitarian, to say the least)...

the t400 in my house has been dropped numerous times, in a car accident etc. and still runs like a champ. best part was i got it for under $1300 new during one of lenovos sale in combination with cash back.
    Just finished building a T530 online and I liked what I put together. I'm going to do a bit more research on them and see where i'm at.

Speaking strictly of the Thinkpads, the warranty is 1 year. I haven't ever used it.
    Thanks. Whatever I get i'm going to be getting a 3 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by asyed View Post
    go to Canada Computers

Also I would go for something made by the less known brands such as asus and MSI and Lenovo

They have good computers but they are mostly customized towers...didn't see many laptops.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 05Mazda3GT View Post
    I know I said i'm flexable on price but that sounds like a lot of money lol. Was looking at under $1500 with everything (upgrades, microsoft office or mac equivalent, tax, etc).
    ...I know your going to say mac is better then pc if I ask you. So is it worth the extra money?
    13-inch: 2.5 GHz
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    In Stock
    Free Shipping
    $1129 <- Education discount, find a friend or someone here in school to buy it for you maybe?

OCZ Vertex 4 256 ~$200

You'll obtain the biggest performance increase by doing the above combo. After tax, that should bring you to about $1500.

Office for mac is an extra $120, after tax about $140ish. <- though there might be other alternatives (google docs(free), iWork suite($20 per app, Pages, Numbers, Keynote), Open Office (free))

The RAM upgrade to 16GB might not be necessary right now, at this point in time, it is an $200 upgrade, but that price SHOULD drop later.

The 500GB harddrive you switch out of the MBP could be put into a $10 enclosure and be used as a portable.

As for data backup, you said you have a few towers, so maybe just remember to copy the important files to a few computers instead of keeping it all on the laptop.

MBPs are made out of aluminium, they have a nice solid feel to them, it has that "it'll last me ages" feel to it. Also it isn't just a rumor that Apple's got top notch support. Of course you could go with the 13inch Macbook Air, it will be lighter for sure, but it lacks the flexibility for adding on more storage and RAM later on. Also the optical bay MIGHT be useful for you if you do some music work.

My work computers are Dell Latitude E6410s, Windows 7 x64, first gen i5s and 8GB of ram with a Samsung SSD. They're pretty solid as well, but the silvery cover scratches and shows the black plastic underneath, they also have docks for them, so pretty useful in that way, otherwise no complaints.

Asus is a good company, but with ASUS any warranty work will require you to ship the laptop back to them, so there will be a period where you are out of a laptop. (There is also an incident where a friend's Asus laptop broke, he shipped it to them, got it repaired, got it back two weeks later and found out that they replaced the screen with a different resolution screen, so then he had to ship it back again, might be a isolated issue)

I wouldn't recommend HP, many of my friend's HP laptops from university broke first year.

I've had a Toshiba laptop for ages, it is dying(super slow), but still working fine. I would recommend one if you're going PC.

Acer -> You get what you pay for, no specific experience with those, but I feel like they're a budget brand.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asyed View Post
    go to Canada Computers

+++111 what he said. Pm gabbygenier. He works there (in Ottawa) but he's the man that could give you lots of Product specific stuff. Give im a try

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast