Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuition Prices - Are they on crack?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tuition Prices - Are they on crack?

Quote Originally Posted by dentinger View Post
    i have to pay all my schooling out of my pocket.

and it's $1000/year out here. double what it is in Ontario. keep in mind $1000/year is a 2 month course.
    damn, a grand for a block session? thats crazy compared to the what? $490 here...your employer doesn't reimburse all or a portion apon completion? mine paid up front, kinda like..here you go lil jonny...heres the money to pay for your schooling..have funnn

in your situation...worst case...3 grand over a what? 3-5 year period for all 3 levels of schooling.....joke!
    Adam - Kitchener, Ontario.
    Far Far West O'l G! Proud Owner of the Whop-Toboggan Rice Bomb!

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Try registering for the Heart for Hearth event
    And boom goes the dynamite.
    Centennial was pretty affordable but it doubled when I went to Ryerson and then I had a huge increase but significantly less in class time when I began my CGA. Took forever because there is a maximum of 2 courses at a time.
    All my schooling after my CGA was on someone else's dime and I had a salary while in school while doing my apprenticeship as a millwright.
    Phone: 647-439-4485

AUDIO | SECURITY | ACCESSORIES | HID & LED LIGHTING | VIDEO & MULTIMEDIA | ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terapr0 View Post
    it's not an expense, it's an investment. In yourself. There are people on this forum who wouldnt blink an eye at the thought of spending $100,000+ on a car if they had the means, yet they scoff at 20-40k university education as an unpleasant nuisance. Now tell me which one of those "investments" will yield a greater return??

I've got about $25,000 in student debt left to pay off and it doesnt bother me at all. Shit it's like $330/month for the next 15yrs or something. Of course I wish it wasnt there, but it's still cheaper than my car payment and it got me a job that pays all the bills and then some. I'd have paid double for my education. Unlike a car it's never going to depreciate and I've already more than recouped my full investment after only 2 yrs. Could be worse. We could be paying American Icy League tuition lolz
    Your 'investment' valuation is incorrect. The 25K you recouped in 2 years does not take your opportunity cost into factor. For argument say, lets say you could have earned 30K annually if you worked instead. In 4 years (avg undergrad time) you would have earned $120K. So in order to recover your 'investment', you'd be looking at more than 2 years.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RJzMazda3 View Post
    Your 'investment' valuation is incorrect. The 25K you recouped in 2 years does not take your opportunity cost into factor. For argument say, lets say you could have earned 30K annually if you worked instead. In 4 years (avg undergrad time) you would have earned $120K. So in order to recover your 'investment', you'd be looking at more than 2 years.
    This is true but if you consider for example that you earn $50k after attending university compared to the $30k not going to university. By my calculation, it would take 7 years and 3 months to make up the lost earnings and student debt you incurred from attending university.

That sounds like a long time, but when you think big picture that only puts you at about 30 years old. So there's another 30+ working years where you make substantially more money. And that's not even taking into consideration that you tend to move up in a company faster when you have education, therefore your pay will increase exponentially.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wes08M3 View Post
    This is true but if you consider for example that you earn $50k after attending university compared to the $30k not going to university. By my calculation, it would take 7 years and 3 months to make up the lost earnings and student debt you incurred from attending university.

That sounds like a long time, but when you think big picture that only puts you at about 30 years old. So there's another 30+ working years where you make substantially more money. And that's not even taking into consideration that you tend to move up in a company faster when you have education, therefore your pay will increase exponentially.
    Assuming you make 20K more as a uni graduate than you do as a college one. I would doubt it's that high of a difference.... well at least in my line of work (IT) it is not.

Also - Do those calculations take into consideration that you will not see 20K more on a 20K raise, due to taxes of course

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of these calculations are entirely dependent on the fields of occupation that they focus on. In other words, people with a 2 year college program under their belt could easily be making as much if not more annually than a person with a double major in university. It just depends which majors/programs we are trying to compare here.

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Ride
    The White Pony
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Impressive View Post
    All of these calculations are entirely dependent on the fields of occupation that they focus on. In other words, people with a 2 year college program under their belt could easily be making as much if not more annually than a person with a double major in university. It just depends which majors/programs we are trying to compare here.
    This is what I'm saying lol
    Got a variety of OEM Mazda 3 parts that need to go, thread coming soon, PM me for details!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Assuming you make 20K more as a uni graduate than you do as a college one. I would doubt it's that high of a difference.... well at least in my line of work (IT) it is not.

Also - Do those calculations take into consideration that you will not see 20K more on a 20K raise, due to taxes of course
    I think what we were trying to compare there was an uneducated person (like high school diploma only) verses an educated person whether it be college or university. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a 20k difference for someone who has any sort of post-secondary education compared to someone who doesn't. And no I didn't take taxes into account but I also didn't take exponential income growth into account either, for simplicity I figure they just cancel each other out.

Even in the case that you are suggesting (university vs. college) I think some professions you would make $20k more. Like mine for instance, as a engineering technologist I would make about $20k less if I never decided to get my P. Eng. You can't be an engineer without a degree. But it certainly is career specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Impressive View Post
    I agree. That's why you have to do your research and decide whether it's worth it for your own career.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just know that with no degree I was making $32k/yr working at radioshack as an assistant manager right out of highschool....there were 40yr old guys making the same amount as me. It was pathetic and depressing. I quit and spent 5yrs at humber (1yr certificate & 4yr degree program) where I walked into a job that pays ~50k to start. I'll be making quite a bit more 5 or 10yrs from now if I work hard and continue learning. I couldnt have gotten this job without a degree.

The difference is that without a degree or diploma you have a very definitive ceiling to your earning potential (of course there are exceptions, but they're few & relatively far between), whereas with a degree you're only limited by your own potential and ambition. If you're willing to travel and work internationally there are ALWAYS opportunities in almost every field, and if you're a shameless salary whore you can jump around as much as you want, demanding more at each new position.

Of course there was nothing I learned in school that I couldnt have learned from the internet or the library, but it's the effort that really counts. Not pursuing an education or quiting half-way through is the easiest thing in the World. it takes real perserverance to stick with something, and I think that, more than anything, is where the value to a degree lies. It lets people know that you're capable of following through with challenges and wont quit when things get tough. It's an endurance test. I regret none of the hardships I endured while pursuing an education. I'm still paying for it and will continue to do so for many years. It's the best purchase I've ever made, or likely will ever make until I pay for my childrens schooling. Everything else depreciates and becomes obsolete - an education lasts forever and cant be taken away by anyone. Thats my opinion of the whole experience anyway...others may disagree.

Ride
    MazdaSpeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta spend money to make money.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try $8,000 EACH term for university...for the past 4 years...

my OSAP is out the roof already...
    2007 Mazda 3 Sport GT - Crystal White Pearl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokic_o View Post

which program?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad I never went to University. All but one of my high school friends that went to university couldn't find a job that paid half as much as I was already making 5 years after high school. At 28 I'm in my second home, have very little consumer debt (associated with buying things I needed for the new home and babies) and I'm qualified in a profession that makes upward of $100k per year. Most of my high school friends that went to university still live in their parents basement, work for $35-$40k/yr jobs, trying desperately to pay off $40k+ in student loans so they can start their lives.

What I don't understand is that these same people tell me all the time that they're planning on going back to school again! Seems like an evil cycle to me. School is just a business that's screwing a lot of people that don't have family wealth or the connections in the career that they're shooting for.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3-GT_ View Post
    which program?
    Accounting at Waterloo

they basically give you co-op to take away all the money you can earn during those co-ops

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$688 for 2 courses @ Ryerson Ted Rogers School of Management.

YE.
    Yokohama ADVAN RS / Corksport SRI / Rally Armor / MS3 Spoiler / Eibach Pro-Kits / Some random strut bar / Ebay LED interior lights
    2010 Mazda3 GX CWP Hatch / 2016 Mazda6 GS-L JBM

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$8500 for a program from Sept-May
    PLUS Books

Thank you, UofT.
    You just got passed by a girl.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only $7,000/yr for me at U of T,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3-GT_ View Post
    only $7,000/yr for me at U of T,
    ...lucky LOL

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akiba48 View Post

YE.
    Heart for Hearth costs only $15 to register. Woot!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your education here is heavily subsidized by the government. There is another country in North America with world class post secondary institutions that charge $20,000 USD per school year for tuition towards an undergraduate program. During my time, I paid about $5,900 CAD each for 3 years of undergrad at UofT and then $25,000 CAD each year for 4 years of dental school. My professional program only cost $5,000/year more than an undergraduate program in the US. You do not even want me to list the yearly tuition American citizens pay for a professional program, I am just extremely thankful I was accepted into a Canadian institution. I am not stating if I believe the current tuition prices are fair, I am merely trying to put things into perspective.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Akiba48 View Post

YE.
    TRSM whooo!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tokic_o View Post

thats inanse...u better be making good money once u graduate lol

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was offered and few half scholarships from the states for golf a number of years back. 18000+ USD for one year. And that will half of it paid.
    Taking Your Ride to the Concours Level
    www.ConcoursTouch.com
    www.3dproductscanada.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finishing 4th year at UWO for Engineering, checked out first year tuition prices (as they need to declare them) $11,800 for a first year engineer for TUITION ONLY. thats no residence or books or anything. just wow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba1983 View Post
    damn, a grand for a block session? thats crazy compared to the what? $490 here...your employer doesn't reimburse all or a portion apon completion?
    well, when you compare what i make, to those out in Ontario, i can see the tuition increase.
    we still get a $1000 grant for 1st, and 2nd year completion, nothing for 3rd, and $2000 for 4th year.

oh well. better than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I guess I should also rename the Engine/Drivetrain section "Arts & Crafts"
    2007 Mazda3 gx
    2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Outdoorsman / 2012 Ducati Monster 796

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast