Thread: CP-E Stage2 RMM Installed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CP-E Stage2 RMM Installed

I bought my CP-E Stage2 RMM from MPS and was finally able to install it this morning. I should note that the only mods done to my car are the spin-on oil filter conversion, some shitty black painted emblems which are peeling (previous owner should have just left stock!), and fresh Rotella oil and Ford Trans oil.

Mount kit (Red Permatex not included)

Taking the old mount off was very simple. The bolts securing both the mount and bracket were VERY solid and took quite the effort to remove for me. I saw that as a good thing for knowing the mount wasn't going anywhere on the car, but a bad thing when trying to get off! It gave eventually though.

The old mount and new mount assemblies

The most difficult part of this whole install was getting my bolts to all go in their respective holes again after getting the new parts in place. I tried installing the mount bracket bolts first then the single mount bolt, I tried the mount bolt first the bracket bolts, but i could never quite get it to line up enough to get all in. Eventually it did work, but sheesh was it not happy. I attribute it to the car being on jacks at the front only, causing the engine to tilt back too far. I had a floor jack under it and used it a bit, but that wasn't tilting the engine but rather just lifting it straight up. Anyway, it's in.

Installed.

Impressions:
    after preparing myself for a new feel I started the car. It was a different car now. The sound is much like that of an aftermarket exhaust. I smiled.

Cruising is fine, a bit louder but no problems though. On deceleration there is droning but again it's not much problem. It is noticeable though. The rear view mirror and side view mirrors vibrate slightly.

The engine feels more connected to the car now. No rocking and knocking. As others have said, the power delivery feels much more sudden and quick. I would not hesitate to upgrade the rest of the mounts even if it did get a bit stiffer/noisier. To be honest, I couldn't be happier with the result!

The test will be after a few hundred km to see how the mount calms down or not.

eric
    Check Out My Workout Supplement Blog!
    Engine: JBR 88 Duro RMM . Suspension: Bilstein B8, Cobb Springs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: CP-E Stage2 RMM Installed

Looks good. Word of caution - many people on MazdaSpeed Forums found that the 6 screws going around the bushing were not loctite'd properly from the factory and they started to back out and could easily be removed by hand after a short period of time. These individuals ended up re-do'ing the loctite (red) on these themselves. I strongly suggested checking the torque everywhere after a few days!

Let us know how things go.

I assume this is the 50 duro bushing?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the warning sarujo, that was actually the first thing I did after buying it as i too have read the threads talking of them backing out. Some I found to be tight enough with red loctite present, while others showed no visible loctite anymore and one was barely hand tight.

Yes I believe it's the 50 duro, as that is what MPS stated. I believe they are all the same duro as I am unaware of being able to select harder ones on CP-E's website.

I'm pleased with it so far though!
    Next mod: sparkplugs
    eric

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks awesome. but makes me wonder why they went to a stage 2 and did a solid cncd rear mount and put the bushing in the bracket.. i wonder how much fun it would have been if just the mount part was replaced and left as one solid mount from the arm back. to me i cant see a difference or better benifit to the busing in the arm over the bushing in the stage 1 mount. but i guess you would have to drive both cars to see. either way awesome upgrade and good to know your happy!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Booter - there are reasons behind this design, and it's actually superior to the wishbone style RMM's many of us are running. I'm running the 75A Stage 1 CPE RMM and after going through many installs/reinstalls and RMA with CPE, if I had to do it again, I would go JBR or CPE Stage 2 - sadly Stage 2 only fits the Speeds right now. Here is the direct info from CP-e:

The way the Mazda engine mount system works is that the two side mounts provide a rotational mounting point, if just these two mounts are installed without a lower engine mount the bottom of the engine is free to swing like a pendulum. Now if you take the stock engine mount and put it in place with its horizontally mounted bushing and you apply some power, it will stop the engine from swinging but you are now stressing the bushing in two directions. These types of bushing are not really meant for this.

So cp-e™ came up with a way to stress the bushing in only one direction, by remaking both sides of the engine mount cp-e™ was able to mount the bushing vertically so now the pendulum affect of the engine is stretching or pushing in only one direction. This also increases the durability of the engine mount substantially.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that looks ridiculous... and i mean the good kind of ridiculous lol. glad to see everyone else is getting mounts too. definitely a good upgrade

50 shades of silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Stretch - was the rubber bushing stamped 50A EPDM? Their website says they are using the EPDM rubber and I'm curious to see if the bushing is stamped as such since the Stage 1 75A showed EPDM on mine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall seeing any markings on the rubber, although I could have missed it. In order to check I'd have to go back under the car, which isn't so easy at the moment. If I can, I'll go under and take another look. I have heard 50duro from some people, 75 from others, so I really don't know what to say it is definitively. I would guess only CP-E could answer for sure. I'll email them on mazdaspeedforums.org and let you guys know.
    eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Cool. I have emailed CP-E asking them if the Stage 2 is compatible with the MZ3 as well. I heard that the 3 large bolts on the front trans side are not quite lined up the same on the MS3 and MZ3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha well they sure had a hard time lining up for me today! If they are not universal, then simply having the bolt pattern drilled a bit differently would be veeerry simple for them, especially if it'll gain the business.
    eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, if it's just something as simple as that. Peeps on the US forums were saying (not sure if true) CP-E has not modified it for regular 3's yet b/c of no/very low demand. To be honest, I would just skip the Stage 1's and go Stage 2 now if it would fit my car...much much better design.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Haha well they sure had a hard time lining up for me today! If they are not universal, then simply having the bolt pattern drilled a bit differently would be veeerry simple for them, especially if it'll gain the business.
    eric

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely looking into this!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    ^^ Booter - there are reasons behind this design, and it's actually superior to the wishbone style RMM's many of us are running. I'm running the 75A Stage 1 CPE RMM and after going through many installs/reinstalls and RMA with CPE, if I had to do it again, I would go JBR or CPE Stage 2 - sadly Stage 2 only fits the Speeds right now. Here is the direct info from CP-e:

The way the Mazda engine mount system works is that the two side mounts provide a rotational mounting point, if just these two mounts are installed without a lower engine mount the bottom of the engine is free to swing like a pendulum. Now if you take the stock engine mount and put it in place with its horizontally mounted bushing and you apply some power, it will stop the engine from swinging but you are now stressing the bushing in two directions. These types of bushing are not really meant for this.

So cp-e™ came up with a way to stress the bushing in only one direction, by remaking both sides of the engine mount cp-e™ was able to mount the bushing vertically so now the pendulum affect of the engine is stretching or pushing in only one direction. This also increases the durability of the engine mount substantially.
    i dunno how its so much better. cars have been using wishbone style replacements for a while. but maybe they know something that others dont. cool mod though. but would need to drive one with stage 1 and stage 2 to see the direct difference.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a reply from CP-E yesterday about the mount:

stage 2 rmm bushing is 60 Duro. It's not stamped on the rubber but it is in fact epdm

So there you go guys
    eric

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now that you have this installed for a decent amount of time, have the vibrations gone done? I'm contemplating getting the mount as I think I may have torn my lower mount at the track this summer.
    2011 MAZDASPEED3 Hypnotic Tuned - Rob
    CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad you asked!
    What I have found is that the mount really softened up. Well, either that, or my other mounts are now becoming softened haha. I find the initial tightness/roughness to have left and in its wake, I have just a bit of roughness on low revs that ends around 1300-1500. There is more cabin noise yes, but the harsher ride I had at the beginning has left and left me wanting it back! I noticed CP-E say on their site they can put different bushings in their mounts at your request (and cash I'm guessing), so in the future I may ask if they can upgrade this one as it's now softer than I like. I'm a guy who likes a good ride but I liked the rougher feel I got from the beginning. It's like dating a real wildcat who slowly turns into a kitten; while she's still scratching you, it's just not the same.

Perhaps once I upgrade the other 2 mounts the tightness will return. I will be getting the SURE mounts for that purpose when the time comes, but before then I plan to do DBA 4000 disks with HPS pads. That is unless my stock mounts die first heh.

All in all, the final result of the CP-E Stage 2 RMM is more cabin noise thanks to the engine vibrations coming through the mount and not reverbing out through the floppy stock one, but an initial bite than softens enough to notice after some time.

eric

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, thanks for the review! I guess I might look into buying this since my stock one seems to be wanting to go on retirement.. Lol