Thread: Dealership maintenance vs non-dealership maintenance?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dealership maintenance vs non-dealership maintenance?

Hi all,

Just wondering what would the pros and cons of maintaining your car at a dealership vs non-dealership? Things like oil changes, alignment, winter tire swaps, etc to heavier things like 1 year maintenance. I saw in the affiliated dealership section that they offer some discount to some labour/parts, however it seems to exclude some services such as oil change. Why would one go to a dealership to say get an oil change done as opposed to going to Jimmy or some other highly reputable mechanic on the forum?

I guess it might be easier to resell your car if you have a track record with Mazda?

Would things change if the car was leased?

My gf has been servicing her 2010 sport 2.5 at the dealership and I'm pretty sure she's paying a lot more than she should be. She said her oil changes cost about $55 and last time the dealership said she had to get alignment done (which she probably did as she said she's never done it) her bill ended up being somewhere around $200+ (or something outrageous). I'm still new to this car ownership thing, so I'm still trying to figure out what is a reasonable price for services, but $200+ for oil change and alignment sounds way too much (unless other things were serviced)

My 2012 sport is leased, so maintaining it at the dealership would be better so they know I am taking care of the car? I guess I don't have a choice unless I actually own it? So I guess this question/post is really for my gf. I'm going to try and get her to sign up for tm3.

Anyways, thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dealership maintenance vs non-dealership maintenance?

In my opinion maintaining my 2012 Mz3 at a Mazda dealership gives me a peace of mind knowing that it is maintained in accordance all the Mazda specific maintenance schedule, also I would like to have my warranty if something brakes so maintaining it at Mazda for the first 3 years can ensure my warranty is going to be honored if needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestion would be to do at least the standard oil changes at the dealership. This way, if you have problems, or need warranty assistance, they know who you are, and that the vehicle has been maintained properly. Dealers do not offer discounts on oil changes, as they are a very low profit item.
    Going into the larger maintenance packages the 48k service, and other "major" services, I would consider having those done elsewhere, and keeping a copy of the receipt. I would still go to the dealer for the oil change portion of the service.
    $55 for an oil change, considering it is likely using synthetic, and possible a tire rotation is reasonable. If the only other service performed was the alignment, and that was ~$140 that was excessive.

Regardless of the vehicle being purchased or leased, it is up to you where to have the car serviced.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Ride
    2014 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of our sponsors is a former mechanic, Sem, at a Mazda dealership and knows our cars very well. Highline Motors is in Oakville. The shop has not been opened too long but check out some of the feedback they have on the forum. My car has 150K + km on it and I brought it to Highline for a thorough inspection and reasonable estimate for the repairs.

Here is the link for their site: http://highlinemotors.ca/

... and here is the feedback thread link: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...otors-Oakville

Perhaps this place could be a compromise between the detail you would find at a dealership and the ability to save some cash at an independent shop.
    SHOUT OUTS: TM3 members, INJEN, JBR Racing, CorkSport. edge autosport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dietsprite View Post
    In my opinion maintaining my 2012 Mz3 at a Mazda dealership gives me a peace of mind knowing that it is maintained in accordance all the Mazda specific maintenance schedule, also I would like to have my warranty if something brakes so maintaining it at Mazda for the first 3 years can ensure my warranty is going to be honored if needed.
    What he said.

I agree because I use to run a 2004 mazda6. Had it in for an oil change a few weeks before I sold it and the mechanic noticed my windows frames were rusting and informed me that I have a 84 month corrosion warranty and they could do all the window frames that day and for free. I had actually stopped in at a body shop to have the window frame work quoted about a month before going into mazda and it was something ridiculous like $600 for everything. I will always go to Mazda regardless of what it costs while under warranty.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many places to you can go for services such as, transmission flushes, coolant, power steering etc... Going to a dealership is a good option if you are willing to fork up the money. You can stop by a quick lube shop and all their oil changes etc.. are warranty approved. Most lube shops now a days follow the vehicles manufacturer specifications.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EneosSustina View Post
    There are many places to you can go for services such as, transmission flushes, coolant, power steering etc... Going to a dealership is a good option if you are willing to fork up the money. You can stop by a quick lube shop and all their oil changes etc.. are warranty approved. Most lube shops now a days follow the vehicles manufacturer specifications.
    youd be surprised. but im getting more and more calls that some private garages are more expensive then the dealers.

and +1 for an older thread back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    youd be surprised. but im getting more and more calls that some private garages are more expensive then the dealers.

and +1 for an older thread back from the dead
    That seems to have become the case. In my experience especially true if I bring my own oil for an oil change. My dealer only charge 30 dollars to do it plus they do the lube and check routine as well while they are at it. One of shop I know charges 25 but I have to wait for them to do it while my dealer I leave it and go to work and come back later in the day, there's really no point in going to the private shop.

For bigger things like a brake job etc the private shop still seems cheaper. However, I have had some success asking for better prices from the dealer. So it might be that I'll keep going to them, if they are close in price.

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proudfoot View Post
    One of our sponsors is a former mechanic, Sem, at a Mazda dealership and knows our cars very well. Highline Motors is in Oakville. The shop has not been opened too long but check out some of the feedback they have on the forum. My car has 150K + km on it and I brought it to Highline for a thorough inspection and reasonable estimate for the repairs.

Here is the link for their site: http://highlinemotors.ca/

... and here is the feedback thread link: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...otors-Oakville

Perhaps this place could be a compromise between the detail you would find at a dealership and the ability to save some cash at an independent shop.
    Update:
    Sem no longer operating the shop and not sponsor anymore.
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go to a local guy that I trust. I gave him the Mazda maintenance schedule and he follows it although doesn't do everything on it. When I look over the schedule.....I can: inspect the function of all lights, inspect the fluid levels, inspect the tires - inflation and wear, lubricate locks. And another thing: do we really need to rotate tires every 8000km's? That seems excessive. My guy is going to do it every other oil change. So....if this schedule is followed to a tee, then I see some extra cash put into labour that isn't needed. The main thing is the oil change and of course, as you move down the schedule, I would want my mechanic to do some of the harder jobs. And I agree about bringing in your own oil: I go to Windsor once or twice yearly and go over to Detroit where the oil is cheaper: I paid about $21 for 5L of synthetic.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigB View Post
    I go to a local guy that I trust. I gave him the Mazda maintenance schedule and he follows it although doesn't do everything on it. When I look over the schedule.....I can: inspect the function of all lights, inspect the fluid levels, inspect the tires - inflation and wear, lubricate locks. And another thing: do we really need to rotate tires every 8000km's? That seems excessive. My guy is going to do it every other oil change. So....if this schedule is followed to a tee, then I see some extra cash put into labour that isn't needed. The main thing is the oil change and of course, as you move down the schedule, I would want my mechanic to do some of the harder jobs. And I agree about bringing in your own oil: I go to Windsor once or twice yearly and go over to Detroit where the oil is cheaper: I paid about $21 for 5L of synthetic.
    Reason why is mostly the back tires run a bit more camber per say then the front. So to make sure the tires wear even its a shouldn't. Be that expe sive..mind you now you could not rotate them and just buy tires when 1 pair wears out..flip the back to front snd replsce them when they go.