Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010+ SPEED3 Clutch?

So my clutch is slipping on me from 3000 RPM to 4500 when I run my Ultra94 tune from Lex at Stratified Tuning. So what clutche and flywheel would everyone recommend for the 2nd gen speed3? Reading around the forums and on MSF I noticed a lot of people take about ACT. However, I also noticed a lot of complaints from people saying their clutch holds worse than the worn OEM clutch.

In my turbo Mazda 6i I ran a SPEC stage 2+ and it felt great. It had a stronger pedal feel but wasn't hard to drive like a 6 puck clutch.

So what have people here tried and what you you recommend.?
    2011 MAZDASPEED3 Hypnotic Tuned - Rob
    CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010+ SPEED3 Clutch?

Think BlueStreak is the only one currently running an aftermarket clutch, and of course celestspeed3 and fobio will in the future.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wilson View Post
    Think BlueStreak is the only one currently running an aftermarket clutch, and of course celestspeed3 and fobio will in the future.
    MY OEM clutch, which held way over 350whp and 350wtrq is potentially available for sale...which makes me wonder how a tune on a typical stage 2 car can slip a clutch...but hey, don't let that stop you from buying my clutch! Or you know, maybe you can get a tune to fix that clutch...lol...

I have a SPEC Stg3+ clutch going in now.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hows the saying go.. is not the car is the driver... sure would be the first speed with a stage 2 tune and a slipping clutch.. if i were you i wouldnt run it in 94... at all.. go see mspeed and get a tune right and then see if you are still slipping. my buddys speed was 94 tuned which i think was 296whp and 340 tq didnt slip a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    hows the saying go.. is not the car is the driver... sure would be the first speed with a stage 2 tune and a slipping clutch.. if i were you i wouldnt run it in 94... at all.. go see mspeed and get a tune right and then see if you are still slipping. my buddys speed was 94 tuned which i think was 296whp and 340 tq didnt slip a bit.
    The car was tuned by a very reputable tuner from the perm network. Also, I remember I boosted my non turbo Mazda 6i and the clutch was in mint condition after 130000 kms on it, so I doubt driver problem. Also, it only slips when I was running Falken 615 tires. Those tires wouldn't slip for the life of them, the clutch slipped instead. When I switch back to my general purpose 452's the tires give out and the clutch holds fine.

Anyways, since this thread isn't about why a clutch is slipping or if others are, I'm just looking for options out there that others have successfully used without problems., that's all. Mine holds fine for daily driving but for track season I want something that will hold the torque of a BNR stage 3 turbo (will be upgrading the k04 some time).

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    MY OEM clutch, which held way over 350whp and 350wtrq is potentially available for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Polish_Eagle View Post
    The car was tuned by a very reputable tuner from the perm network. Also, I remember I boosted my non turbo Mazda 6i and the clutch was in mint condition after 130000 kms on it, so I doubt driver problem. Also, it only slips when I was running Falken 615 tires. Those tires wouldn't slip for the life of them, the clutch slipped instead. When I switch back to my general purpose 452's the tires give out and the clutch holds fine.
    ... never heard of the tuner but i wouldnt say its good or bad. just your case being unique and slipping a clutch with no more then stage 2 would be a first that i have seen as well.. also.. your clutch slipping with falken tires not the tires slipping.. .. not really sure what you mean there. never heard of a clutch slip because of over agressive tires.. but hey i suppose anything can happen.. anyway.. maybe take fobio up on his stock cutch which seem to hold 350whp and 350wtrq, im sure your cars not at that now and wont be for a while so it could hold you until you upgrade your turbo. or go the same route and go a spec stage 3+

http://www.lmperformance.com/131426/.html

says only until 2009 so you would have to confirm it would be good to go in a 2011.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guys at your dealership probably toasted the clutch. Tell them not to let the lot jockeys drive your car.

I have Vince's clutch here if you want photos of it. It's in pretty decent shape consider the use it was put through. Let me know what you decide.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CelestSpeed3 View Post
    The guys at your dealership probably toasted the clutch. Tell them not to let the lot jockeys drive your car.

I have Vince's clutch here if you want photos of it. It's in pretty decent shape consider the use it was put through. Let me know what you decide.
    That wouldn't surprise me since it was fine before the. I'm just going to continue using my stock clutch until it slips more because it only slips randomly for 1500 RPM and not to red line like a trashed clutch. In any case I'll probably just start contacting the different manufactures and get details about available clutches and drive ability.

Once I choose one I'll definitely let you know, but it probably won't be until next year and if it's still slipping like a bitch.. Lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go aftermarket get the ACT system. Otherwise I would honestly just get Vincent's clutch for the time being.

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you go aftermarket get the ACT system. Otherwise I would honestly just get Vincent's clutch for the time being.
    No point in doing a clutch job twice. I'd also need his flywheel since the two have been worked in. However, I'd rather just buy brand new and do the job right the first time.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wouldn't surprise me since it was fine before
    No point in doing a clutch job twice. I'd also need his flywheel since the two have been worked in. However, I'd rather just buy brand new and do the job right the first time.
    if you are to buy it then just send your flywheel to be machined. you would need to do that anyway with a new clutch anyway. and your clutch was fine before what? unless you have been to a dealership that many times i would be surprised it could be a lot guys fault as for service its usually in the shop and out of the shop, not driven around town.. mind you that would have been something noticed when you purchased the car anyway... but hey.. always the dealerships fault..

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    if you are to buy it then just send your flywheel to be machined. you would need to do that anyway with a new clutch anyway. and your clutch was fine before what? unless you have been to a dealership that many times i would be surprised it could be a lot guys fault as for service its usually in the shop and out of the shop, not driven around town.. mind you that would have been something noticed when you purchased the car anyway... but hey.. always the dealerships fault..
    You can't machine dual mass flywheels. The standard flywheel in a regular 3 you can machine, not the speeds.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can machine the ones for the speed. Our engine shop did it for us. He told us there are risks but they do it for all the BMW and Audi crowd with little to no issues.

Ride
    Your Mom
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just go aftermarket and be done with it. Less hassle.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Guys. Stay away from act clutch. I installed act with lightened flywheel clutch kit. The pedal pressure was too much for daily use. 3 fingers of the pressure plate broke off and puncture the top of the bell housing the size of a golf ball. Thank god it was not the gear box side. This can be fix with aluminium epoxy as it is not on the structural rib side. So the a new stock clutch kit is going back in. This costing me too much money,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msr View Post
    Hello Guys. Stay away from act clutch. I installed act with lightened flywheel clutch kit. The pedal pressure was too much for daily use. 3 fingers of the pressure plate broke off and puncture the top of the bell housing the size of a golf ball. Thank god it was not the gear box side. This can be fix with aluminium epoxy as it is not on the structural rib side. So the a new stock clutch kit is going back in. This costing me too much money,
    Ouch, thanks for the warning. Did you complain to ACT? Are they going to do anything or is there an explanation for the failure?

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, thankfully I never installed my ACT clutch I got. I bought the ACT streetlite kit with a full faced disc and it's just sitting in my basement. My car thankfully hasn't had any slippage since my post. Fingers crossed that it stays that way as I like the stock clutch.

PS. My car is up to 104,000 KM's now.
    Last edited by Polish_Eagle; 12-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run an ACT clutch and the prolite flywheel in my RX-7. I'm happy with both.

-Geoff