Thread: Big 3 Alternator Line Problems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Big 3 Alternator Line Problems

Finally got sick of my headlight dimming and did the big three last night. It seems to work really well to reduce flicker (eliminates it in most cases) but im having trouble with the line from the alternator.

I did from the post of the alternator to the + terminal of the battery as well as replaced the factory grounds for battery and engine all with 2gauge wire. wrapped everything up and went to start the car. one click, starter stops turning over. After some trouble shooting i figured out that the stock alternator line has to be hooked up for my engine to turn over, im guessing those clip connections in the line have a sensor in them to tell the ecu that the alternator is running fine.

so right now i have my 2gauge and my stock line running in parallel. i was wondering if anyone had a way to use just my 2gauge line and trick the stock line into thinking that its hooked up. i was thinking i could probably just ground out the stock line but then im just wasting power which sort of defeats the point of doing the upgrade, would i be able to send a small current from the battery through the line just to make the ecu think the stock line was attached?

any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big 3 Alternator Line Problems

according to all data this is what i see

From the diagram there should be nothing stopping you from getting rid of it. I am sorry the diagram is somewhat crummy. This is based off of a 07 speed. However have done the upgrade before for people and the stock line simply gets left in.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big 3 Alternator Line Problems

well if in the past you've left it in i guess thats how ill keep mine. ive already cleaned it up since putting the stock line back in was done as a hopefully temporary fix, but couldnt live with the mess. thanks McGuyver for your input!